RAF Jaguars

Franco

All of the resins are in 1/48 😩😩😩. Thanks anyway.

Why is so difficult to find british loadouts in the model market??? I always rely on Hannant’s, its like the bible for RAF stuff, but the options are very limited anyway 😩

26 minutes ago, Franco said:

All of the resins are in 1/48 😩😩😩. Thanks anyway.

Why is so difficult to find british loadouts in the model market??? I always rely on Hannant’s, its like the bible for RAF stuff, but the options are very limited anyway 😩

Ah, thats a shame.
This may be of a little more help for 1/72 then - 

2 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Or, for Gulf stuff on inner wing pylons - 1000lb Paveway LGBs, single Rockeye cluster bomb (too long for tandem carriers) or CRV-9 rocket pods. Oh and AIM-9L Sidewinders overwing.

As far as I am aware the Jags did not carry Paveway LGBs during the Gulf conflict of 1991.

5 minutes ago, Jabba said:

As far as I am aware the Jags did not carry Paveway LGBs during the Gulf conflict of 1991.

Ah, I could well be thinking of the Yugoslavia affair re LGBs and made an incorrect assumption re the Gulf seeing as the Tornados and Buccs had that covered there.

23 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Franco! Nothing wrong in understanding your English at all - just glad that we could help 😊👍🏻 We are blessed with having experts here, as in people that actually worked on them or the armament (and no, that’s not me! I just like Jags!!)

Trevor

Thanks Trevor... at least seems I am able to communicate my thougts 😁😁😁

Pretty certain the GW1 was CRV7 And BL755 Cluster Bombs predominately for the Jags, with some 1000lb'ers thrown in here and there.

• Thanks 1

There are photos and video of at least one Jaguar in theatre in 1991 carrying Paveways.  (RAF Yearbook and/or Special being one source)

However, this may have been training/photocall only.  I've never heard from anyone that was actually there that they ever carried them on operations.

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Pretty certain the GW1 was CRV7 And BL755 Cluster Bombs predominately for the Jags, with some 1000lb'ers thrown in here and there.

I could be mistaken with the various Gulf trips, but I think the BL755 was replaced with the Rockeye due to mid altitude use and the 755 not working higher up - after the sandy stuff was over there was some work done on the 755 to make it useable from higher altitude, that much Im pretty sure is accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vicarage Vee said:

There are photos and video of at least one Jaguar in theatre in 1991 carrying Paveways.  (RAF Yearbook and/or Special being one source)

However, this may have been training/photocall only.  I've never heard from anyone that was actually there that they ever carried them on operations.

Ah, that might be what I am thinking of, as Im sure I have seen a photo of a pink Jag with a Paveway or 2 under it, I just couldnt find it on Google and guessed my memory was at fault there.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=49634.0

In this link I’ve found some kind of painting guide (don’t know which brand or kit) that depicts a pink Jag with LGBs... I don’t know how certain were the sources of this “guide”. But, also I found strange that the jag in the pic is “the sadman”, XZ364, and the antennas behind the canopy does not match with the ones in a GR3 (I think that must have the T shaped one). Lesson learned in this post, that realize a mistake made in a early build of that cat (when I finish my actual build, will show you both). So, I don't trust so much in this guide... 

During the first few days of the war fuel tanks were carried on the inner wing pylons, which limited the carriage of 1000 lb bombs to 2 on the centre pylon. To increase the number of weapons carried the configuration was changed to a centre line fuel tank with weapons carried on the inner wing pylons. Four of the 1000 lb bomb or improved BL55 cluster bombs could be mounted the beam assembly. While 750 1000 lb bombs were dropped only 8 of the low altitude BL755s were expended. CBU-87 CEM was rushed into service and 385 were dropped directly from the inner wing pylons. Finally 32 LAU-5003 19 tube pods of CVR-7 2.75in FFAR were fired. No LGBs were delivered by Jaguars. This is an abridged description taken from the "Gulf Air War Debrief".

The kit paint guide is I think from the Kittyhawk kit.

I do see what you mean, but the aircraft does have no nose art, and there are some Jags earlier in the video that do not have any nose art and also have twin aerials behind the cockpit, which had been replaced by a single one when the war actually started. I cannot see in the video at the time stated whether there are two or just one aerial fitted. I think that the video is a mixture of action before and during the conflict.

On 10/7/2018 at 3:26 PM, Jabba said:

The kit paint guide is I think from the Kittyhawk kit.

Correct. And the bombs are French LGBs, so completely incorrect for an RAF Jaguar - KH arent that great with such details shall we say....

Just a quick note before you finish - during the war ( eeek I'm becoming Uncle Albert ! )  the twin UHF antenna were replaced  by the single Have Quick. The second wave got that and the overwing rails

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 6:11 AM, JagRigger said:

Just a quick note before you finish - during the war ( eeek I'm becoming Uncle Albert ! )  the twin UHF antenna were replaced  by the single Have Quick. The second wave got that and the overwing rails

This is a great tip for my pink panther, thank you!

As far as I can make out the replacement aircraft that were sent out to the Gulf in Nov 1991 were very much modded up and it to these that I think that the single aerial was fitted, and that was to the right hand position of the heat exchanger. So this would mean that any aircraft that carried nose art would have this modification. The initial Jags were sent back to the UK when they were replaced. But saying that I have found a picture in RAF year book of 1991that says that the aircraft is returning from a sortie on Feb 12 and this has the twin aerial configuration. I will look deeper over the next day or so.

Dull barnish applyed, the cat is now sitting in his own legs (a little bit tricky to get it right). Waiting for photoetched speedbrakes from hannants.

82B9601C-C1FF-4A5C-8664-EB1CC50A0F34_zps

889DB531-0EB6-4335-B4B9-5F42B1D8FAC8_zps

6D07E507-BD71-4580-B68B-D3ECFEE3A5BE_zps

0E8B76B5-AF46-44A5-B0F7-BCE75BB7BF58_zps

please forgive my messy work table

62D03E07-7FD6-4D68-BD3B-2245409B9E90_zps

here is a comparison with an early cat I buided, an italeri. I was really uncomfortable with the colour...

I read your toughts and recommendations.

😁

• Like 2

With regards to the twin aerials, the same video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dxoavqQgKA at 1:24 and 3:50 appears to show aircraft with mission markings with the twin aerials.  So presumably, at least initially some of the UHF aircraft did continue.  XZ367 'Debbie' is quite early as its nose art was changed to a White Rose later on (for some reason) and she clocked up an impressive tally of operations.

Confusingly, 'back home' photos show both aerial fits... single: http://www.dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/jaguar/gb/debbie_rose_9.jpg twin: http://www.dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/jaguar/gb/debbie_rose_5.jpg

But this image would appear to confirm that a change was made in theatre https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p934046062/h79b991ac#h79b991ac  but swapped back later.

Edited by Vicarage Vee

This aerial thing is getting rather confusing. Although I can find that the aerial was fitted (To the left hand position, not the right as I earlier said), I cannot find out when it was fitted. I have also found a picture of "Katrina Jane" with only one aerial fitted. I also think that this aerial was removed as soon as possible when the Jags returned back to the UK, due to some of the pictures that I have seen showing either a 2 letter tail code, or being able to make out that it is attending an air show from 1991 as some of the aircraft were kept in the Desert Pink for a while afterwards. Will still look into this though.

On the subject of Paveway bombs, they were trialled on the Jags at this time in the desert and some were dropped on one of the ranges out there, but none were dropped in the actual war.