RAF Jaguars

Franco

On 9/18/2018 at 4:32 AM, Phone Phixer said:

Having done a search for XX766, it brings up plenty of pictures from 1989 at Wyton. Yes, those bombs are 1,000lb HES (high explosive substitute). Filled with concrete, as you say, but accurately filled to mimic the HE bombs ballistic characteristics.

It's a shame all the photos are taken from the right hand side, you don't get to see what's on the other outboard pylon.

I don't know if you have any 1,000lb bombs in the spares box. If you use the CBU's from the kit, paint them all over green as live weapons. Deep sax blue practice CBU's were rare as rocking horse 💩 .

Rob (ex Jaguar armourer).

just as an aside, its a common fallacy that British  inert bombs were filled with concrete. The inert filled bombs (Mk 15 now long obsolete and out of use) contained  a substance called "Cheekol" which was more like  a chalk, and used standard steel bomb cases.  The  current inert bombs are actually hollow but have very thick walls that replicate the correct weight and they were designed to be recoverable and re used several times.

Selwyn  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Selwyn said:

just as an aside, its a common fallacy that British  inert bombs were filled with concrete. The inert filled bombs (Mk 15 now long obsolete and out of use) contained  a substance called "Cheekol" which was more like  a chalk, and used standard steel bomb cases.  The  current inert bombs are actually hollow but have very thick walls that replicate the correct weight and they were designed to be recoverable and re used several times.

Selwyn  

Cheekol...... that's a new one on me! Never heard of that in all my time.

The newer HES, IIRC were Mk 22's, sometimes came back after refurbishment with new suspension lug pockets welded in different parts of the body. The old pockets filled in but still noticeable. A bit gash really.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:07 PM, Franco said:

What is the shot and fat container in the outboard pylon pictured in most of the photos of th XX766 (wraparound scheme)?

The saint tail is great!!!

That is a CBLS (Carrier Bomb Light Stores) 100, with the short tail fairing so it could be fitted to the Jaguar centreline pylon. It was a practice bomb carrier that could be loaded with 4 x 3Kg  or 2 x 14Kg practice bombs for training use.

The saint tail was when XX766 was used by 16(R) Sqn as the display aircraft for airshows. That's when I worked on it.

7 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Cheekol...... that's a new one on me! Never heard of that in all my time.

The newer HES, IIRC were Mk 22's, sometimes came back after refurbishment with new suspension lug pockets welded in different parts of the body. The old pockets filled in but still noticeable. A bit gash really.

Yes that happended quite a lot, the Lug pockets were screwed in  so they could be easily replaced but if the mounting got damage they ended up drilling new pocket holes and illing the old ones. you can drop the 22 three times and if they were  still something like they were then converted to ground use only drill bombs.

So, putting things all together; standard camouflage schemes:

For early 80s grey/green camouflage (Dark Sea Grey BS638 / Dark Green BS641) with Light Aircraft Grey (BS627) under surfaces.

Late 80s till 90s grey/green wraparound

In 2000, turned Dark camoufage grey (BS629) with Dark Sea Grey (BS638) on top, final paint scheme.

Temporary schemes

For Granby, desert pink

For Telic and operations over former Yugoslavia, overall Light Grey (BS626) with pale blue and pink roundels. I have a question here... I found BS626 is Barley Grey or Camoufalge Grey, mostly used in air defence (Tornados F and Typhoons). So, is this colour right for the Jag?

1 hour ago, Franco said:

.............  I found BS626 is Barley Grey or Camoufalge Grey, mostly used in air defence (Tornados F and Typhoons). So, is this colour right for the Jag?

That is the colour most often quoted but when used as a temporary finish was applied as an Alkali Removable Temporary Finish and whether it is the qualities of the paint in that form or the lack of a primer underneath the effect on Jaguar/Tornado Gr.4/Harrier was to make them seem much paler than the permanent finish on the Tornado F.3/Phantom ?hawk et al.      Find some images of ARTF Grey tanks on a Barley Grey/Camouflage Grey Tornado F.3 and the difference is quite apparent. 

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:13, Franco said:

I think finally got a decent desert pink tone.

What do you think?

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/fcasella76/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxMjk3OTkzNzA=?ref=1

I think thats too pink. I help a bit on the restoration of XX741 and it still has the dessert paint inside the intakes, even allowing for tine its not that pink.

Julien

On 9/20/2018 at 10:34 PM, exdraken said:

RAF Jags did not carry r-550 Magic missiles .... never!

Indian ones and French ones did.....

The only British Jag to carry Magics as far as I’m  aware was  the BAe demonstrator XW563. I can’t provide any links at the moment as I am in an area with appalling 3G.....yes 3G 🙁

Trevor the lucky to even have a signal 

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

The only British Jag to carry Magics as far as I’m  aware was  the BAe demonstrator XW563. I can’t provide any links at the moment as I am in an area with appalling 3G.....yes 3G 🙁

Trevor the lucky to even have a signal 

XW563%20Jaguar%20-Magique%20flt.RSF1_zps

yeah.. British yes, but RAF no I'd say :D

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, exdraken said:

XW563%20Jaguar%20-Magique%20flt.RSF1_zps

yeah.. British yes, but RAF no I'd say :D

That’s the fellah.

LRMTS configured nose(but no glazing), non standard perforations on the airbrakes, splitters by the intakes and glossy paint. Defiantly not RAF issue!

Trevor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Julien for the tip about the pink. I’m working on the colour now, trying to darken a bit.

Finally i got a pair of sidewinder, thanks for the info too.

I was looking at pictures for granby Jags, and is rare to see them with two drop tanks under the wings. In the most cases were using only one in the centerline. There was some weight issue or something? I was thinking in a two tank build because I love the look it gets 😁, but if this isn’t real, I will discard that option.

I’m really glad to decided to post here in brittmodeller; you guys are great and love the info you gave me. Thanksssss!!!

And thanks for your efforts to understand my survival english 🙌🏻.

Tank on the centre line, duel store adaptors on inner pylons, primat and ecm on outers.

I dont think they need the range for two tanks and refuelling was readily available.

Franco! Nothing wrong in understanding your English at all - just glad that we could help 😊👍🏻 We are blessed with having experts here, as in people that actually worked on them or the armament (and no, that’s not me! I just like Jags!!)

Trevor

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Tank on the centre line, duel store adaptors on inner pylons, primat and ecm on outers.

I dont think they need the range for two tanks and refuelling was readily available.

The aircraft that were fitted with the reccie pod usually carried fuel tanks on the wings. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Julien said:

Or, for Gulf stuff on inner wing pylons - 1000lb Paveway LGBs, single Rockeye cluster bomb (too long for tandem carriers) or CRV-9 rocket pods. Oh and AIM-9L Sidewinders overwing.

There is any resin LGB for this subject? I’ve seen that are different of the americans (I think that the paveway kit is assembled on standard brit 1000 lb bombs... the guiding head and enlarged fins?)

I ve been searching for those bombs in 1/72 with no positive results ☹️

31 minutes ago, Franco said:

There is any resin LGB for this subject? I’ve seen that are different of the americans (I think that the paveway kit is assembled on standard brit 1000 lb bombs... the guiding head and enlarged fins?)

I ve been searching for those bombs in 1/72 with no positive results ☹️

A quick search threw up this thread which may be of help:

Apols, Im building a huge curry right now, not got time to read it all :)

• Thanks 1