Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Kiwikitbasher

Photo Request - M983 HEMTT & Pershing II Erector/Launch Trailer

Recommended Posts

Can anyone help with photos of the M983 and Pershing II together? I have spent hours searching the www without any luck to help with my build of the Modelcolect kit depicting this combination (and it seems from other advice I've received that the M983 as depicted in the kit is lacking generators and a crane).

 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kiwikitbasher said:

Can anyone help with photos of the M983 and Pershing II together? I have spent hours searching the www without any luck to help with my build of the Modelcolect kit depicting this combination (and it seems from other advice I've received that the M983 as depicted in the kit is lacking generators and a crane).

 

Thanks in advance for any help.

3onyBIc.jpg

its about the only image you'll find of the HEMMt and Pershing together, you can see the generators and crane mounted behind the engine, the same as the MAN tractor, which Modelcollect have correctly included in that kit, this one is overall forest green, but as the kit tractor is not a dedicated Pershing tractor, you could put it in NATOflage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Old Pro,

 

Your suggestion is one that occurred to me, I have also contacted Modelcolllect to see if I can buy the two sprues from their MAN & Pershing II kit that contain the crane and generator parts. Not being a Pershing expert, I had no reason to suspect the kit would be so lacking. I also cannot understand why Modelcollect would get the MAN/Pershing II and ready-made M983/Pershing II combos correct with the generator and crane included but fail to include these parts with their M983/Pershing II kit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason is mainly because Modelcollect had the tractor from theit Patriot kit, then put it together with their patriot without taking into account the differences, they either didn't care or didn't know, I would like to think the latter. They obviously did a bit more research on the Man tractor which came out a lot later and included the missing items, obviously this is where the ready made parts come from. My own Pershing build stalled for the exact same reason, although at the time the Man wasn't an option as it had not been produced and I haven't touched it since, maybe one day! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Old pro said:

The reason is mainly because Modelcollect had the tractor from theit Patriot kit, then put it together with their patriot without taking into account the differences, they either didn't care or didn't know, I would like to think the latter. They obviously did a bit more research on the Man tractor which came out a lot later and included the missing items, obviously this is where the ready made parts come from. My own Pershing build stalled for the exact same reason, although at the time the Man wasn't an option as it had not been produced and I haven't touched it since, maybe one day! 

That makes sense. Research may not be their strong suit as their new-tool B-52G was a debacle. I paid for my B-52G  18 months in advance and offloaded it within a couple of days of its arrival although of course, it was only their second plane, and their first, a B-2, was OK), and they have much more experience kitting vehicles.

 

If my request to Modelcolect to buy the MAN sprues with the generator and crane parts is unsuccessful I've been thinking about scratch-building the generators and making a crane shape and wrapping it in a tarpaulin as per some photos. I'd like to display the missile about to be launched, but judging from photos there is a lot of other gear stashed around the trailer at the time of firing, none of which of course is included. If I do it in transport mode then I need to modify the trailer and remove the warhead. The simplest solution is to do a museum display with the missile complete but lowered with the tractor nearby maybe... 

 

If I'd bothered to research this kit I would not have bought it. It seemed good value for NZ$50 (£25 / US$33) plus I bought the Tetra PE set for another NZ$36 landed. Here's a link to my build log:

 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/group-build-2018-2-m983-hemtt-tractor-pershing-ii--t316567.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kiwikitbasher said:

That makes sense. Research may not be their strong suit as their new-tool B-52G was a debacle. I paid for my B-52G  18 months in advance and offloaded it within a couple of days of its arrival although of course, it was only their second plane, and their first, a B-2, was OK), and they have much more experience kitting vehicles.

 

If my request to Modelcolect to buy the MAN sprues with the generator and crane parts is unsuccessful I've been thinking about scratch-building the generators and making a crane shape and wrapping it in a tarpaulin as per some photos. I'd like to display the missile about to be launched, but judging from photos there is a lot of other gear stashed around the trailer at the time of firing, none of which of course is included. If I do it in transport mode then I need to modify the trailer and remove the warhead. The simplest solution is to do a museum display with the missile complete but lowered with the tractor nearby maybe... 

 

If I'd bothered to research this kit I would not have bought it. It seemed good value for NZ$50 (£25 / US$33) plus I bought the Tetra PE set for another NZ$36 landed. Here's a link to my build log:

 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/group-build-2018-2-m983-hemtt-tractor-pershing-ii--t316567.html

 

Oh, there's even more bad new, not sure you can handle anymore😂, the generators and crane if you get them, don't fit onto the platform as they have done in he ready built model, the crane fits to the chassis bed and the generators directly behind the engine ( offset to the left) the same height as the fenders, and your front wheels are wrong, the hubs of the wheels on the front two axles are not as recessed as the rear axles, not sure if you have an old kit or someone just messed up, as Modelcollect have corrected this mistake ( although not on their ready built one?) i have a funny feeling that the correct wheels came with the Patriot, but who knows why they haven't added them to the Pershing, at least later releases?

 

edit

just checked, my Pershing also had the incorrect wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old pro said:

Oh, there's even more bad new, not sure you can handle anymore😂, the generators and crane if you get them, don't fit onto the platform as they have done in he ready built model, the crane fits to the chassis bed and the generators directly behind the engine (offset to the left) the same height as the fenders, and your front wheels are wrong, the hubs of the wheels on the front two axles are not as recessed as the rear axles, not sure if you have an old kit or someone just messed up, as Modelcollect have corrected this mistake ( although not on their ready built one?) i have a funny feeling that the correct wheels came with the Patriot, but who knows why they haven't added them to the Pershing, at least later releases?

 

edit

just checked, my Pershing also had the incorrect wheels.

4

Bummer! I got an email yesterday saying they would send me the sprues, gratis it seems, so top marks for that. Here are a couple of images of my model and where I'm at:

 

file.php?id=9288&t=1

 

file.php?id=9358

 

Not sure about the wheels, but thanks for the heads-up, it looks like it might be staying as is. [EDIT] Just checked out this image and I see it ahs different tyres (Michelin XLs by the look of it):

mmu_get_jpeg.php?0b94327be35b87e196018c2

I think they are available as an after-market resin option (read expensive), but I might still go ahead once I see the generator and crane parts.

 

 

Edited by Kiwikitbasher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have decided to complete my model as a stand-alone unit and order a Modelcollect MAN M1001 prime-mover to go with my Pershing II and trailer/launcher. Images of my finished model can be found here:

 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235043687-m983-hemtt-tractor-unit/

 

file.php?id=9427&t=1

 

file.php?id=9429&t=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×