Groupbuild Announcement

A couple of years ago when I took on the role of Groupbuild Moderator, Mike told me that I was could be just like He-Man.

I'm a bit wary of that leather harness thingy.  That's just going to cause chafing.  :fraidnot:    But I am quite willing to accept that I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!  

And I've let that power go to my head.  From now on Matrix Mansions will now be known as Castle Greyskull.  I'm making a few unilateral decisions for next year. :D    I don't think anyone will be surprised by that as I did the same for this year. 

What's that I hear you cry?  "Get on with it, Matrix!" ?   Oh...   okay...  sorry...

I've noticed that over the past few years the most popular GBs have been dedicated to classic or nostalgia builds.  A few years ago we had the Obsolete Kits GB, which involved people building a model from an older kit which has been superseded by newer (but not necessarily better) moulds.  We have had a couple of very succesful Matchbox GBs.  Currently the Airfix Golden Years GB has more than 135 build threads with 60 odd completions to date.  I honestly doubt that the forum software can handle the likely number of entries in a poll.

Everyone likes the latest high tech kit release.  Some of them fly off the shelves.  But equally, there seems to be a lot of love for the older kits.  Most of these don't stand up in comparison to the latest Tamigawaedufix release, but we still want to build them.  Maybe it's because we built them as a kid (with varying degrees of success...).  Maybe it's because there simply isn't a suitable modern kit, even if we are living in a Golden Age.

Whatever... the simple fact is that we all seem to like building classic kits.

So...   I've decided that every year, there will be a dedicated classic kit GB.  We can discuss whether that GB will be dedicated to a specific manufacturer, or whether it will simply be a basic classic nostalgia build. 

Plans are already afoot for 2019.  So I'm going to take the proposed Nostalgic Tribute to FROG Model Kits GB off the ballot for 2019 and place it as the first of BM's regular Classic Build GBs. 

One side effect of this decision is that there is now another slot available for standard GBs...

Okay...   I'm ready for the brickbats...   :bangin:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Ah...I see...so it is not a FROG GB per se, but rather a Classic Build GB dedicated to FROG kits?

So the 2020 GB could be, say, a Classic Build GB dedicated to Merlin Models (God help us all) or Pegasus, etc...?

Merlin models Or we could all take up synchronised swimming instead  :hmmm: :crying:

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Ah...I see...so it is not a FROG GB per se, but rather a Classic Build GB dedicated to FROG kits?

So the 2020 GB could be, say, a Classic Build GB dedicated to Merlin Models (God help us all) or Pegasus, etc...?

What about a 2020 GB for Monogram Kits or even Revell kits , with a date "before" like

the Classic Airfix GB has?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I was kidding about the Merlin Models. Please don't.  Pegasus, on the other hand, would be fun.

I have a couple of Merlin kits, I can't post a picture as it's a bit too shocking for those of us with a nervous disposition ! :gobsmacked: :deadhorse:

• Like 1

** Apologies - Repeat Post, this was supposed to be in this thread. 

Now this is super news.. Many thanks Enzo. 

I believe this is a great move and I also think that we could possibly start this annual 'Classics' GB on the same date each year. Amazingly 01 June was going to be my suggestion and now I see that Pat's Frog tribute will start on that date! You know what they say about great minds?? So if I am correct, one GB slot per year will be reserved for a classic GB, however the theme of this GB can still be nominated, voted on and argued over. Is that the case?

Well the challenge has now been set. I've got just over nine months to trim down to fit back into those flares and ample time to grow that 'Pool Cleaning man' moustache!! 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

they give us the chance to build the kits we built as kids again and to see what we can do with them now.

I still get gluey thumbprints on the transparencies... :wall:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm a bit wary of that leather harness thingy.

19 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm ready for the brickbats... 

Anyone else detecting a worrying pattern developing here? :hmmm:

• Haha 3

On 9/13/2018 at 3:46 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Merlin models Or we could all take up synchronised swimming instead  :hmmm: :crying:

Surprisingly, I found the Merlin Models Hawk III an easier build than the Heller SBC Helldiver... Sure, I built the Merlin kit as a crash diorama and so I did not need to mount the top wing. Perhaps that discounts my point, but I was still surprised. Maybe one day I'll go crazy enough to build the Merllin E11 Laura... Let us hope not!