Hawker Hurricane Mk1

Lawzer

So for my final entry I'm gonna attempt this:

DSC_5759

Original kit was 1979 - this is a 1987 boxing.

In all it's glory:

DSC_5760

On inspection only really 1 sink mark:

DSC_5761

(however if you are of a juvenile mind like me zoom in on the air scoop to the left of the IP..... )

Ready for some primer...

DSC_5762

Going to do the 85 squadron option (undersides half black/white).  Although I have a Finnish hurricane in this scheme I kinda like it...

Will be built totally OOB using the kit decals apart from the wing roundels which look real 'orrible - think I have something to replace them with in the spares box.

From first impression seems a decent kit with very little flash and some clever engineering.  I'll try and do a bit of detailing on the cockpit as the canopy for being so old is surprisingly clear.

1 question:  from the above picture the part that "stands out" from the cockpit rear bulkhead - that's an armoured plate rather than a headrest (I think)?

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I have a couple of the new tool in the stash because I love Hurricanes. Be interesting to see how 'daddy' scrubs up.

Andy

Hawker fan.

I built the new tool one and found it far too intollerant of my ham fisted approach (to be fair neither the kit nor airfix share or endorse my "more glue!" Attitude 😆).  I *think* i read somewhere that shapewise this is pretty good......

• Like 4

OK so on further dry fitting not THAT much will be seen through the canopy so this'll do:

DSC_5763

(Those things are meant to be rudder pedals ;) )

The transverse parts meant to represent the floorless cockpit (it'll look fine with a dark wash in the dark).

The plastic in this kit is really hard and brittle so had to be careful (unlike me I hear you say) when sanding.  The kit wasn't sealed when I got it and a few parts have what seems to be paint on them but nothing to worry about.

So here we are as of last night:

DSC_5764

I've applied a bit of filler around the wing roots and the like (caused by my own fault) but on the whole not too bad a fit. And my bench seems to have descended into chaos again.

Next step will be to get the glazing on and masked up then some primer but I'm popping along to the Aberdeen model show today so maybe won;t get anything done.

Who knows - I may end up coming home with an armful of old airfix kits from the show.....🤣

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hope you have a great day at the show Ian - I EXPECT A FULL REPORT ;)

Anorak has been looked out (as mrs lawzer's friend asked....) 😆

• Haha 2

Ended up not buying anything (a lot of very reasonably priced old airfix stuff but almost ALL of it already in the gb!).  I am kinda regretting not buying a 1/72 phantom (think it was the us marines boxing with the "felix the cat" with a lit bomb decals though.....

• Like 2

So an unexpected day off work today (dog hurt one of his front legs on Monday night and since he has a LOAD of health issues he needed "supervision" since mrs lawzer is working away today) and I had hoped to make a lot of progress but was blowing a hoolie (gale) up here today so I couldn't open the window for the extractor fan till about 6pm tonight...

Anyways, it took a fair bit more filler than I had thought:

DSC_5766

(underside needed a lot more) but here we are:

DSC_5767

Will most likely have to wait till the weekend to do any more...(doesn't that hand made masking look horrific?....)

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 7

I'm sure I've commented about this build before, however it would appear not - perhaps it was in the Build List thread with good intentions to get back here and leave a mark of encouragement? Anyway, this is looking lovely Ian and I quite like the overall basicness  (is that a word?) and ease of construction that you get from this kit. This Hurri rounds off Airfix's foray of late 70's 1/48 kits which you have now built all of them within this GB, Well done. 

I'm sure that the masking will be fine once it's removed and I hope the Dog has recovered for his bout of illness. I might need to take a sickie before this GB is out, however am trying to think of the correct way to explain that "I need to finish off a Beaver"... On second thoughts perhaps it's best I use the dog excuse as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm sure I've commented about this build before, however it would appear not - perhaps it was in the Build List thread with good intentions to get back here and leave a mark of encouragement? Anyway, this is looking lovely Ian and I quite like the overall basicness  (is that a word?) and ease of construction that you get from this kit. This Hurri rounds off Airfix's foray of late 70's 1/48 kits which you have now built all of them within this GB, Well done. 

I'm sure that the masking will be fine once it's removed and I hope the Dog has recovered for his bout of illness. I might need to take a sickie before this GB is out, however am trying to think of the correct way to explain that "I need to finish off a Beaver"... On second thoughts perhaps it's best I use the dog excuse as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

errr - yeah you may need to expand on your reason for not being at work! 😆

Dog is fine now.  He's 9 1/2 and has had health issues since he was a pup so every time he does something to himself (which seems to be a LOT!) there is always the worry if that's it.......we perhaps over reacted (took him to the emergency vet on Monday night) but can't bear the thought of him being in pain.

Anyways.....yeah this is a nice little kit.  The only thing I should have thought about was the ejection ports but there were no indentations on the inside of the lower wing nor anything externally to show where they should be.  Will cut up some scrap black decals I guess.  It even has the black anti slip areas textured!!  However the placing of the pilots step is a bit strange - in the centre of the fuselage - that's surely not right? 🤔 

Speaking about the 1/48 kits I was quite surprised to learn that the JU87 wasn't released till 1981 - just as well I didn't splash out on another one!  (although a few fleabay bids came close ;) ).

• Like 4

A bit more progress.....

hurr

tamiya xf52 and 81 (I think)....

Had a fight with my airbrush while doing the undersides so apart from the white underside, brush painted.  Obviously still 1/2 to do (and LOT of touch ups)! ;)

And of course when I started painting the underside i suddenly realised the undercarrige bays should have been painted BEFORE assembling the wings....d'oh!

The light makes it a bit darker than it actually is but does that colour combo look "right"?

• Like 8

Not wanting to sound like a know it all Ian, however I've never quite liked XF-52 as a Dark Earth. I'm sure it will all look fine once it's glossed, decaled and matted down however for me Gunze's H73 seems to be a better choice. I think XF-81 and H72 are both pretty close for Dark Green's but the two company's Dark Earths a quite a difference. Your 48th scale Hurricane is looking smashingly good all the same. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Not wanting to sound like a know it all Ian, however I've never quite liked XF-52 as a Dark Earth. I'm sure it will all look fine once it's glossed, decaled and matted down however for me Gunze's H73 seems to be a better choice. I think XF-81 and H72 are both pretty close for Dark Green's but the two company's Dark Earths a quite a difference. Your 48th scale Hurricane is looking smashing good all the same. 

Cheers.. Dave 

yeah I'd read a bit about xf52 not being up to par.....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

Tamiya themselves aren't too happy with XF-52 as RAF Dark Earth - the instruction sheet for their 1/72 scale Spitfire Ia recommends a mix of 1 part XF-52 with 1 part XF-64.

I'm sure xf52 is listed as flat earth...so maybe not their fault ;)

• Like 1

I thinned down both with the same ratio of paint/thinner (well, as close as I could get it ;) ) and indeed the dark green looks almost gloss.,..

I have another hurricane done in the same scheme (I *think* it is anyway) and after it got a very much heavy handed oil wash it calmed down a bit....

• Like 1

I've probably built more examples of this kit than any other so you can see that it's one of my all-time favourites. 

It's still a contender for the 1/48th scale Hurricane crown if you don't need the interior detail of the newer mould. 

John 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

I've probably built more examples of this kit than any other so you can see that it's one of my all-time favourites. 

It's still a contender for the 1/48th scale Hurricane crown if you don't need the interior detail of the newer mould. 

John 

Nor (at least in my case ;) ) all the swearing, headache and severe fits of rage! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oh dear.....

decals are VERY thick and no amount of microsol seemed to help:

DSC_5771

I'll leave this side to dry and then see how it looks.

Mind you - I don;t have anything suitable to replace them with :(

I might cut out the individual letters and roundel for the other side but too late on starboard now.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like I got away with it.....

DSC_5772

Even the starboard side has fallen into line :)

Apart from the decals having a nice white outline on most of the roundels....

Landing gear looks to be a bit of a mare - vague locating holes and nothing seems to quite reach to where it's meant to go.

Still - the end is in sight!!

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 8

And after a let's say "interesting" day (as in unblocking my main - house- waste pipe with elbows up to the, well stuff that's in a waste pipe.......) she's finished.

i will post some pics in the gallery later but for the time being enjoying a well earned glass of something that goes well with cheese 😁

• Like 3