Colour Help please - M983 HEMTT & Pershing II Erector/Launch Trailer

Kiwikitbasher

Can anyone please help me with the correct colour scheme for a US-based M983, Pershing II missile and its trailer? The kit instructions advise olive drab, but I have read of the M983 being painted in disruptive woodland camo (NATO Green, Brown & Black) with the trailer in Forest Green.

Once again, Google has not been my friend when it comes to finding mages of the M983 and trailer together.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Images of the combination are few and far between however either is correct, overall green or the tractor in 3 tone and the trailer green, both are possible, not seen any pictures of the trailer in NATO colours. Note also that the model can only really be built in the launch position, the warhead should not really be mounted for transport and the front of the trailer folds up and away  as the actual tow point is further back than depicted on the kit, also in reality the tractor was very much different, mounting Generators and a HIAB crane.

7 hours ago, Old pro said:

Images of the combination are few and far between however either is correct, overall green or the tractor in 3 tone and the trailer green, both are possible, not seen any pictures of the trailer in NATO colours. Note also that the model can only really be built in the launch position, the warhead should not really be mounted for transport and the front of the trailer folds up and away  as the actual tow point is further back than depicted on the kit, also in reality the tractor was very much different, mounting Generators and a HIAB crane.

Thanks, Old Pro,

Although that's bad news you've given me - I wondered why Modelcollect offers a made-up model of the Pershing II with a HEMTT tractor featuring the generators and crane you mention! see:

http://www.modelcollect.com/us-army-m983-hemtt-tractor-and-pershing-ii-tactical-missile

file.php?id=9331

The news about the inaccurate towing hitch position is not good either.

I wonder what possessed Modelcollect to include a tractor without the generators and crane in kit-form when they obviously knew about the correct configuration.

Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure how to proceed now as I've almost finished the tractor with quite a bit of Tetra PE added.

Edited by Kiwikitbasher

12 minutes ago, Old pro said:

The generators and crane were included in the Man tractor version, I presume that they have just taken the parts from that and put them on the ready made, maybe if you ask nicely they will send you some parts?  

Yes, I've emailed to see if II can purchase the two sprues concerned.

Possibly not the most helpful picture, but kind of cool:

dpa-files-the-first-pershing-ii-missiles

Guessing you already found these:

http://www.primeportal.net/artillery/david_lueck/pershing_ii_erector_launcher/

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/pershing-ii/

EDIT - Finally found one:

transport-von-pershing-ii-raketen-in-der

This might be of use too:

https://howlingpixel.com/i-en/Pershing_II

HTH

Thanks for your efforts, I had found the links, and unfortunately, the pictures are of MAN tractors/prime-movers not of M983 HEMTTs. It seems that images of the M983 towing a Pershing II are extremely rare online.

Thank you again, I do appreciate your effort, and your "We Gave Peace  A Chance" image is a lot better resolution than the one I found. 

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Dammit, so they are.....Well that's my Google-Fu exhausted, that was all I could find.  :unsure:

It does give you an indication of where to make cuts if you wanted to display the missile on tow I guess.  :rolleyes:

True!

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Really, finally found one:

Now that's a good photo, thanks very much. I could only find very low-resolution examples of that picture.