Hannover CL111a

stevehed

Hi,

Going to have a go at this little gem. Built one of the original issue and still have it so it will be an interesting comparison. Was built sans paint, just pale blue plastic, and no rigging. Over the years it received hand painted lozenge on the uppers of a pattern yet to be discovered by historians and Revell Fokker DVII lozenge transfers on the lowers. Again they had to be hand painted and I got hopelessly confused and off line. This time I have some 5 colour Pegasus lozenge and hope to create a mottled effect on the fuselage.

413999397.jpg

Regards, Steve

• Like 8

Had a look at Ian's build and decided to limit myself to a couple of modifications. I've reduced the size of the wing cut out and rounded off the square look around the rear cockpit. As I haven't got a datafile and hence no plans I can live with the rest. My main concern is the lozenge pattern on the fuselage. The individual segments are larger than those of the wings and 1/48 scale have been recommended in the past. But Austro Hungarian lozenge has large lozenges and I have a spare set from an Eastern Express Aviatik D1. I've decided to try and apply them and touch up with German colours and depending on the look I may overpaint them and try and let the pattern show through.

414006078.jpg

414006077.jpg

• Like 5

Nice work!

For ages when i looked at ww1 builds and i saw the term "lozenge" and i for a minute thought "what do folk get sore throats from building these"?

face slap in order i think....😆

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, did you sort out the lozenges on the Hannover? I was looking forward to seeing this different form of camo. 6 1/2 days still to go on the GB so I wondered if we would see this sturdy bi-plane 'clothed' and flying in to the Gallery? All the best. Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Steve, did you sort out the lozenges on the Hannover? I was looking forward to seeing this different form of camo. 6 1/2 days still to go on the GB so I wondered if we would see this sturdy bi-plane 'clothed' and flying in to the Gallery? All the best. Mike

Hopefully - will make a really nice addition to the gallery 😁

• Like 1

Nearly gave up on this one but its now the only job on the bench so hoping to get it finished for Sunday. Had awful bother with the lozenges. First the Eastern Express fuselage plan went for a burton when they broke up into unworkable scraps. I got once piece to fit onto the centresection and then painted it. I went for a green/mauve dappled effect on the fuselage. Then I applied Pegasus five colour onto the wings. First time I've used them but i've found them to be very brittle. Kept on flaking off even when varnished. Never had to use decal solutions before but this time it is the only way they would stick. So I'm not going to use any after market decals to replace the small lower wing crosses, sticking with the kit transfers for this kit. I've got a few of these in the stash so I'll have another go now that I know the shortcomings of the transfers I've got but this will be ok from a respectable distance.

414024911.jpg

• Like 8

There have been a few old lozenge decal sheets on ebay recently, I was very tempted, but after seeing the problems you have been dealing with, I'm glad I held back. Well done for beating the things into submission though, the model is looking really good from where I'm sitting.

tony.

• Like 2

Sorry Folks I'm going to have to admit defeat and for the first time fail to complete a GB build. Life has got in the way and there is not enough drying time left. Progress so far.

414027294.jpg

414027293.jpg

Will definitely finish and will post in Gallery if late completions are allowed. 

Regards, Steve

• Sad 4

Remind me to avoid this “life” business. Seems to do bad things to ones modelling progress. Sorry to hear this Steve although we all know how things can turn out. 

Thanks for taking part all the same. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Finally finished. I've given the tail unit short support struts to represent a later aircraft. The kit Spandau was replaced with a white metal job and the radiator pipework is scratch as none are provided. A learning curve with the Pegasus lozenge but got there in the end so not expecting any trouble next time.

414033073.jpg

414033072.jpg

414033071.jpg

414033070.jpg 

Regards, Steve  

• Like 8