Brown SC Diamond Wing, 1932, Scratchbuilt 1/72nd.

From 9 years ago, a scratch that will introduce us to the next historical aviation era: The Golden Age.

Baking the Brown Potato (A Ben Brown design from 1932)

Calling a plane a “potato bug” doesn’t seem to be very polite, does it?

In any case, the prominent canvas surface ribbing caused by the underlying tubular structure in a sort of beetle-like fuselage prompted the nickname.

Unusual and beautiful are two qualities that seem to go together when dealing with designs from the Golden Era of aviation. These unrecognized, sometimes ridiculed daring steps into the unknown spawned decades later “cutting edge” designs and in doing so ridiculed the ridiculers.

The Ben Brown SC Diamond Wing is, as part of its name indicates, a jewel. Aerofiles has some notes on it:

http://www.aerofiles.com/_bo.html

scroll down once there to find the entry.

Long hours on the Internet finally paid off when I found this Youtube clip showing the SC flying wonderfully, among many other creative designs of the time:

Funnily enough, in doing the research some sources stated that the “Potato” –and many of its clip companions, by the way- never or barely flew. Or perhaps made a “hop”. Well, hop my building board, if I may say so. These guys REALLY flew.

Structurally an aerodynamically sound (hey, have a look at the “new” designs around) the so called Potato Bug also flashes its attractive lines that make it a wonderful scratch project.

As you can see in the accompanying images first a Sculpey master was made, then detailed, and promptly Vacu-Mattelized.

A 15 minute engine was fabricated to replicate the inverted Cirrus and an interior was added, taking in consideration that the control column was hanging from the roof, as seen in the clip.

The flying surfaces of this biplane…sorry, tandem…err..triplane? well, whatever this may be, were made from styrene sheet and rod, as well as the vertical stabilizer.

Wheels came from a generous vac donor and metal tail wheel and prop were acquired across the ocean. Struts came from the same source.

In the clip you can see the SC with registrations at least on the fin (X682H). The fin/rudder area and presumably the flying surfaces are of a lighter color than the fuselage. In other images it appears of a uniform color and has a very light color stripe running longitudinally on the fuselage sides, ending in a diamond at the nose.

As they say: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Now you really are in a period of which I am almost completely ignorant. This is another of your unusual aircraft but still very interesting.  When I was young I lived under the circuit path of RAE Farnborough and ocassionally I saw some unusual shapes in the air, but I cannot ever remember seeing something quite as unusual as this. That this is a first class model does not really need saying - from your table that is taken for granted!

P

• Thanks 1

I saw that one flying in the video clip you posted and I must admit it is a rather nice looking aircraft, in fact, I like this one a lot.

This is yet another one of your fine creations, albeit from a far more "modern" era.

• Thanks 1

Moa, when you are done posting up individual threads on all your wonderful little creations, please do a "fleet photo" of all these aircraft together. It'd be amazing to see your full collection gathered together on one (large) table top.

BM.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blue Monday said:

Moa, when you are done posting up individual threads on all your wonderful little creations, please do a "fleet photo" of all these aircraft together. It'd be amazing to see your full collection gathered together on one (large) table top.

BM.

BM, you are very kind in your request, but two issues exist:

1) Many of these models were made for collectors, friends and museums, so there are not anymore with me (bear in mind the headers of the last twenty postings or so, all from five to thirteen years ago).

2) The ones still with me are all in boxes in different parts of the house. Still perhaps about 200 of them, but would take at least a whole day to do what you suggest. No table would be enough, they will carpet the living room.

May be one day, perhaps a partial of the ones whose boxes are more accessible.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John R said:

You still have 200 after giving many away? I did not think that there could be that many.

Last ten or eleven years or so, around perhaps 300. That also includes a number of cars and buses and robots. Surely many times that number from the beginning (decades ago).

I will post them today as RFIs.

Will post a link here too.

6 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

BM.

4 hours ago, John R said:

You still have 200 after giving many away? I did not think that there could be that many.

Hi BM and John

I lost my Saturday free time doing the three tables of models, damaging some in the process.

You better bloody enjoy them 😉

I will be uploading some clips today too (if my computer and Flickr can understand each other, a rare occurrence these days)