Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Procopius

Questions about those 1/700 Atlantic Models RN destroyers

Recommended Posts

I was thinking idly about purchasing one of those 1/700 Atlantic Models kits to build a V-Class War Emergency Destroyer, as I've always been interested in the splendid destroyer action culminating in the sinking of the Haguro in 1945. However, I can't afford a 1/350 kit from WEM (I mean, I could, but it would require saving, and patience, and focus, and determination, and I'm a cream puff), and so I was wondering what the 1/700 kits are like. Quite small, I'd imagine? Is it possible to build one without an elaborate PE bending tool or powerful electron microscope?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo Edward. The 1/700 destroyers are fairly small but it's possible to do a nice job.

 

Bending tools are very much nice-to-haves and not essential. If you own a steel ruler and some sort of razor blade you can do the same thing. The point of the tool is to clamp the part with a hard edge at the bend point so that a razor blade folds the part right at the hard edge. You can do the same with a ruler or even a second modelling knife - I did so until this year. My HMS Hood that I think you gave seen was done with two scalpels and a drill bit for rolling curved parts.

 

What is well worth having though is one or two pairs of decent tweezers (at least one of the pair should be needle-nose) an acupuncture needle for gluing and some empty packaging for pills to put your glue in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Yo Edward. The 1/700 destroyers are fairly small but it's possible to do a nice job.

Thanks, Jamie! Do you know of any WIPs or reviews of one of them so I could get a sense of what the WEM kits look like in that scale and how they go together? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a review of the WEM S class 1/700 in the ship review section of this lovely site. I know it's not the V class, but it'll show the quality of the resin.

 

There's also a couple of reviews of the Atlantic 1/350 kits including the S class HMS Scorpion, again I know it's nor the same scale but show the kit well.

 

 

Geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish there was a photo of one of these babies next to like, a biro or a cotton bud or something, so I could see how big it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, can't help with a pic of an S class.

 

But......

 

L Class HMS Legion, 1/700 Flyhawk

20180914_080702.jpg

HMS Faulknor. Niko 1/700 (HMS Hardy)

20180914_080529.jpg

Tamiya 1/700 V Class destroyer 

20180914_080411.jpg

Tamiya 1/700 O Class destroyer 

20180914_080430.jpg

And the IBG Hunt II

20180914_080451.jpg

I really need to crack on and get some of these done....

 

Geoff 

Edited by Bugle07
Spelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice little collection of Destroyers. Faulknor looks particularly nice with the rigging and weathering.

 

Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Stuart, unfortunately, unlike the real Faulknor this ones been pretty much sunk, by my 6yr old boy. She may get new masts pe and rigging, or I'll just get another one...

 

Geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 18:27, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

What is well worth having though is one or two pairs of decent tweezers (at least one of the pair should be needle-nose) an acupuncture needle for gluing and some empty packaging for pills to put your glue in.

Acupuncture needles?  Can you elaborate please Jamie why these are better than a pin or cocktail stick? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Acupuncture needles?  Can you elaborate please Jamie why these are better than a pin or cocktail stick? 

 

They are just the perfect thickness for getting in to joints and stiff enough to apply a dot whilst flexible enough to drag along a longer joint. They're brilliant. The handle is enough to pick it up with fingernails but not so bulky it gets in the way. It was Park SangHyun of Infini Model who told me about them when I asked how he assembled the instruction sheet models without visible glue joins :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

 

They are just the perfect thickness for getting in to joints and stiff enough to apply a dot whilst flexible enough to drag along a longer joint. They're brilliant. The handle is enough to pick it up with fingernails but not so bulky it gets in the way. It was Park SangHyun of Infini Model who told me about them when I asked how he assembled the instruction sheet models without visible glue joins :)

Sorry to barge in from the wings.

Acupuncture needles sound perfect for the job - I've struggled with fuse wire, cocktail sticks & all sorts. Do you know which size you have Jamie? There seems to be a fair choice now I've looked!

 

Gavin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Edge said:

Sorry to barge in from the wings.

Acupuncture needles sound perfect for the job - I've struggled with fuse wire, cocktail sticks & all sorts. Do you know which size you have Jamie? There seems to be a fair choice now I've looked!

 

Gavin

 

 

Yeah, me too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, you learn something everyday.  I will have to get some and give them a try.

Edited by Chewbacca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Edge said:

Sorry to barge in from the wings.

Acupuncture needles sound perfect for the job - I've struggled with fuse wire, cocktail sticks & all sorts. Do you know which size you have Jamie? There seems to be a fair choice now I've looked!

 

Gavin

 

Hi Gavin,

 

I would recommend you try the 0.25mm thickness and either 30 or 40mm length. The length is the length of exposed needle beyond the handle part.

 

Over 40 can feel a bit unwieldy and short needles can be a bit too stiff to drag along joins. I like the 0.25 x 40 best but the Infini guy likes 0.25 x 30 best.

 

Best regards,

 

Jamie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Gavin,

 

I would recommend you try the 0.25mm thickness and either 30 or 40mm length. The length is the length of exposed needle beyond the handle part.

 

Over 40 can feel a bit unwieldy and short needles can be a bit too stiff to drag along joins. I like the 0.25 x 40 best but the Infini guy likes 0.25 x 30 best.

 

Best regards,

 

Jamie

Great tip 

Box on the way from Ebay

Thanks

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Gavin,

 

I would recommend you try the 0.25mm thickness and either 30 or 40mm length. The length is the length of exposed needle beyond the handle part.

 

Over 40 can feel a bit unwieldy and short needles can be a bit too stiff to drag along joins. I like the 0.25 x 40 best but the Infini guy likes 0.25 x 30 best.

 

Best regards,

 

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. I'll give them a whirl!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 06:31, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Gavin,

 

I would recommend you try the 0.25mm thickness and either 30 or 40mm length. The length is the length of exposed needle beyond the handle part.

 

Over 40 can feel a bit unwieldy and short needles can be a bit too stiff to drag along joins. I like the 0.25 x 40 best but the Infini guy likes 0.25 x 30 best.

 

Best regards,

 

Jamie

 

I'm in for £2.99 it's got be to be worth a try. Thanks for the tip

 

Kev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×