Scratching a 1/144 1913 Rumpler-Etrich Taube.

SUB-SAM

11 minutes ago, pheonix said:

How on earth do you plug in wires that are 0.01 mm? I am used to working with thin wires but in God's Own Scale. This is really pushing the boundaries of modelling...!

P

The styrene is so thin here,  (5 thou 0.127mm ) you can dip wire in cement and deposit a bead onto the surface as you press in with tweezers.

Superglue is an issue with very thin wire as it forms a globule away from the end of the wire, I don't know why but at this scale surface tension is a dominant force.

It's pushing the boundaries of my eyesight.

I consider that a good thing as it makes it impossible to look close enough to see flaws in detail.

The same thing on larger scales means so much more work.

I think if I started a 1/48 scale kit I would never finish it. 

Edited by SUB-SAM

After all the trouble of the wires I realised I was looking at the wrong end of the cockpit lol. (They are on the back of the instruments of course) what a doughnut I am.

So there are no wires.

So...

I have just stripped them all out and instead put a map attached to the observers position instead.

2cejivt.jpg

The question is, If the flying map scale was 1:10,000 in reality, what would it's scale be in 1:144 model? 

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not much done for a while, the distinctive tail went on just now.

5 thou plastic is essential for 1/144. 

j5jv36.jpg

My wife is away for the rest of the week and weekend so I might have a nice binge on this over the next few evenings. 

• Like 4

Staggeringly good stuff!

Its really energising to see someone problem solving so creatively & crafting a fine outcome.  Not my personal first choice for subject or scale, but that’s of no consequence when there’s work of this ingenuity to be seen!

Given the size I think it's the most effective way of representing spoked wheels. 

Having the actual number of spokes on this aircraft would be pointlessly challenging.

This is one side of the Hub done.

1xze46.jpg

• Like 4

This is about the best I can do, it's not perfect but you have to consider you can't even see the spokes from 12 inches away.

23upvr8.jpg

Its not materials that limit what is achievable only skill and technique, at least in the modelling sense. The silicon chip industry can produce transistors that are 10nm across. 

These spokes are 0.08mm, or in other words they could fit 8000 transistors across the width of one of these spokes!

Given that they use essentially similar techniques to photoetch parts I might develop a way of producing ultra fine photo etch parts as I get better at modelling. 

• Like 7

That is a very good example of scratch building. Nothing to be ashamed of with those wheels - most of us would baulk at making spoked wheels in 1/72 scale.... The jig may be low tech but it certainly looks effective and did not cost a fortune!

Tauben were quite large aircraft, especially given that they were two-seat monoplanes. When it is finished it will go very well indeed with the Fokker Eindekker.

P

Base linen coat down.

aey8zm.jpg

But for those thinking this looks like it will be done soon, really I'm only about half way done.

Still have to:

-Make Mercedes D.I engine.

-Build the complex undercarriage and frame underneath wings.

-Scratch a propeller (The hardest thing) 

-Frame and rigging on top side.

So with this weekend's binge done it will probably take me another month before it's done.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, SUB-SAM said:

So with this weekend's binge done it will probably take me another month before it's done.

But it will look really good when it is finished. The undercarriage and underwingstructures will be interesting to watch....

P

Edited by pheonix

I love this. Too small for me, but the skill and problem solving involved are great to see. I may be tempted to look at one of my 2 Taube kits soon.....

Ian

• 3 weeks later...