NRC-CNRC Harvard .

Paul J

I thought you nice folk out there might like to see this build.  Heller 1/72nd Texan, Aeroclub vac canopy with the rear upper fuselage modded to accept the different shape at rear end, antenna from micro strip plastic, decals by JBOT. I didn't do very much in the cockpit so no seat belts. Just the instrument panels.  The canopy framing is all done with black and white decal stripes. Black applied first to prevent the white from being seen from any side, then of course the white for the external framing. The corners to the window panels are done with teeny triangular or squarish pieces  of decals cut to fit relevant panes.

N3l19u.jpg

IfcfEu.jpg

The exhaust is resin from the CMR conversion kit which includes to vac form canopies.  I opted not use these as it is of the heavily framed version and this subject has the lesser frames. Fortunately I had one of the Aeroclub ones with the correct rear section and fewer frames so perfect for this one.
bDbsVd.jpg

9NYxQ9.jpg

4wpGbt.jpg

RC8E5B.jpg

LAtHSh.jpg

needed to coax the rearmost decal stripes in to a curve to follow the canopy line.
uN7H2S.jpg

fF8Sam.jpg

For more info of the work and types within the NRC-CNRC here is a link:

https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/solutions/facilities/research_aircraft.html

• Like 19

That’s a lovely Harvard Paul and I love the extra bits you’ve added during the conversion. The white over black decal strips for the canopy framing is an excellent tip and before I read your writing was one of the first ‘neat bits’ about this build that I noticed. 

Cheers and beautifully modellled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi Paul, I've not been very active on here recently (I've been too busy making models rather than looking at or talking about them!) but this caught my eye and I just wanted to add my praise as I'm a big fan of the Harvard but it's great to see one that is not yellow! Superb job!

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Long time no see.  Thanks for your comments.

Quite fond of the Harvard myself, one of the very first Airfix kits I built. and still have it!  The one here is the Heller one from the new Revell re boxing issue. Part fit is beginning to show on the parts and really yearn for a decent new tool from Airfix very much!  As for colour schemes I like to look for interesting ones that are not too garish or complicated to do and if there are decent decals for them.

Hi Paul! I've not gone far! I still spend a lot, probably still too much time reading the forums here but I found that being 'active' meant less time at the bench. I'm hiding over on the maritime forums at the moment! Here ;)