Airfix 1/48 Lightning F.6 "QRA"

goon

I love a Lightning - and I love the way you have posed your's to improve the 'Lightning Effect'.

I think you may be interested in this video of how to create jet engine effects.  Not mine, I found it on YouTube one day and thought I would love to give this a go one day.

great work on the model, but my only criticism would be that the base is too short. A longer blurred base would make the jey look like it was travelling faster.

Great model though!

Andy

Thanks for the further comments. Very cool effect in that video. (I agree about the length of the base Andy, but it didn't 'click' until I'd finished.)

Gareth

Thanks for further comments.

I made the stand from an MDF base with Coastal Kits runway blur cut to size. There's a piece of perspex bar bent to a ] shape and screwed to a channel cut in the underside of the base.. (More of a U actually, but I only had a hair dryer and a very small vise so I was quite pleased with it!) There's two magnets (6mm diameter, if I remember rightly) mounted span wise in the stand, and the under side of the wing. It's very secure, but there's not enough 'leverage' length wise, so I had improvise a brass rod in the front of the perspex to support the leading edge. 

With hindsight it was obvious it wouldn't support almost the full length of a Lightning, and I should have had three magnets in a triangle, but I got carried on a wave of enthusiastic assumption! (It might well work with a model with less swept wings, or a lighter 1/72 model. 

Cheers,

Gareth