Inspiration.

sailorboy61

If, like me you spend considerable time wandering around the internet looking for 'stuff', and I mean modelling related, and not 'THAT' modeling either, then occasionally you stumble across finds that demonstrate modeling skills and dedication of a level I can't even dream of.

Having recently acquired Eduard's weekend Hellcat Mk.1, I was make such a search and stumbled across this http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/f6f/f6fe-1.html that I've spend several days reading through. 

I also found that he(?) has produced a huge quantity of other models, the treads for some of which http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/top2.htm are also in English. Hope you enjoy as much as I have and much credit and respect to the person responsible. What a community we are part of.

Enjoy!

I haven't read everything in the whole of the first link... but I get the idea of how much time was spent trying to correct the upper-forward fuselage, including with reference to drawings made from photographs by a friend. When it gets to this level I can't help thinking that scanning an actual aircraft (either using SfM and/or structured light and/or time of flight sensors connected to a laptop... or even an industrial laser scanner if you can hire one) and then 3D printing a new "plug" to fit the fuselage from the kit(s) would be the way to go. Of course, not everyone has access to the original aircraft, but then if a friend (or contact on forums such as this... e.g. I can readily visit the Hellcat at the Fleet Air Arm Museum) does and is will to take photos one could at least have a go with SfM freeware which is out there. Of course one might not have a 3D printer either, but then again one can order 3D prints online and have them delivered. I only mention this because I believe the cost/benefit is starting to tip in favour of such tech (at least at this level of obsessive detail) and is becoming more feasible as well... plus it removes the subjectivity of drawing from photos etc. with their inherent distortions. Discuss....! ;)