1/48 KC-130J Harvest Hawk Done

Hi all, it's been a while, I started this project back in February 2017 and managed to get 6 weeks done before commission work took over. By that time most of the hard work was done which just left the painting to do, well for the most part.
I was working to copy VMGR-352 QB-6762 as I wanted to make sure I was working to an existing Harvest Hawk, I managed in the end to find some good reference material for 762 and I like the colour scheme so that was the final choice.

I have had a bit of free time between commissions so the last two weeks I have got stuck in again.

To recap, all the raised panel lines have been re scribed (Never Again, seriously!!):wall: and I have used the Attack Squadron Harvest Hawk Conversion set which covers the AN-AAQ-30 Targeting Pod and the Hellfire Rack. I ended up using the Eduard AGM-114 Hellfire set as this was far more accurate. The Attack Squadron parts also included some very nice wheels, fuel pod, sponsons and most importantly replacement engines to correct the grim kit ones.
I was tempted to use the rather nice Attack Squadron flap set but unless I was doing an inflight diorama or a maintenance diorama it was pretty pointless as the flaps would be level in reality so that idea was quickly scraped.
There were a fair number of other modifications including the port parachute door which needed two launch tubes for the GBU-44 Viper Strike and GBU-176 Griffin Missiles, various windows have been filled and re positioned and the addition of the FCS Optics module either side of the parachute doors.

Decals are a mixture of the kit decals and the Flying Leatherneck set, this with a little work gave me all the required numbers for the airframe in question. The walkway decals were the wrong colour and way to wide so I have masked and sprayed them on.

Finished up yesterday.
NNiImUal.jpg

btyB0ATl.jpg

wxpuc3Gl.jpg

9QsbfQ8l.jpgQWU0Egtl.jpg

lWwoX1rl.jpg

8dBJEjnl.jpg
r4255mxl.jpg

KZaVHW6l.jpg

H2FxnWGl.jpg

YVV4xgIl.jpg

ZYLSLk5l.jpg

gKehAaxl.jpg

Thanks for Looking

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 1

That's an absolute blinder! I once had a 1/48 C-130 kit but passed it on as I figured I had nowhere to store it.

Any chance that it's not too much hassle to take an extra photo with a fighter jet sized aircraft next to it?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Filler said:

That's an absolute blinder! I once had a 1/48 C-130 kit but passed it on as I figured I had nowhere to store it.

Any chance that it's not too much hassle to take an extra photo with a fighter jet sized aircraft next to it?

All my models are safely in the cabinet and i don't like to move them, to give you an idea the wingspan = 33" and fuselage length = 24.5", it is not small that's for sure😂

2 minutes ago, Parabat said:

That is excellent, very nicely done and such realistic painting. 

This was the initial image of 762 and i was really going to dirty it up but when i scoured through all the other images she was really quite clean, so i just done the majority of the weathering with pre shading and post shading filters then a little light yellow staining on the control surfaces on the underside, sometimes less is more.

Harvest%20Hawk%20Chaff%20and%20Flare.jpg

Regards

Danny

• Like 1

A beautiful job on this plane.  I am surprised that no one has ever came out with a decent new mold of the C-130 in 1:48 given its large variety of versions as well as countries that fly them but you might have primed the pump with completion of this build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2018 at 2:43 PM, Harold55 said:

A beautiful job on this plane.  I am surprised that no one has ever came out with a decent new mold of the C-130 in 1:48 given its large variety of versions as well as countries that fly them but you might have primed the pump with completion of this build.

On 9/11/2018 at 3:53 PM, Stephen said:

Fantastic build , your hard work paid off.

23 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's a big beautiful beast Danny,alway's loved the Herc never managed to finish my one attempt at one though,Superb job not many about

in this scale either,

22 hours ago, RMCS said:

Superb finish 

Thanks guys

Danny

2 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Looks great Danny, :thumbsup:

I have a part rescribed KC-130J in 1/72 that will now become a Harvest Hawk version with the addition of the same conversion set.

Just need to motivate and get back to it.

I know that feeling😁

• Like 1

That looks really great. Glad you left it nice & clean. Nice colour scheme too.

A confession to make you giggle - not knowing much sbout C-130s I misread the title as "Harvest Hawk Drone". Blimey I thought, how do they fly that remotely? Silly me...

Justin

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bedders said:

That looks really great. Glad you left it nice & clean. Nice colour scheme too.

A confession to make you giggle - not knowing much sbout C-130s I misread the title as "Harvest Hawk Drone". Blimey I thought, how do they fly that remotely? Silly me...

Justin

Oh Justin😁

Easy Done

That is a beautiful Herk and I have never heard of this update variant either,..... so I shall have to look up the `Harvest Hawk'. Great job all around,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2018 at 10:41 PM, tonyot said:

That is a beautiful Herk and I have never heard of this update variant either,..... so I shall have to look up the `Harvest Hawk'. Great job all around,

Edited by danimalmagic
Error
  • Confused 1

Super great fantastic Herculean work!!

I have one of these beasts (the Italeri model I mean) stashed...so even  more I admire your results!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1