Martin Marauder (sans decals) - FINISHED

AdrianMF

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

more visible

Could be. Although given that the orders to paint only came three days before D day I shouldn't think they painted the Olive Drab with neat masking around the fuselage codes and insignia in the time available.

I'm now wondering if I should have left them alone on the underside, as they were ordered to be removed from topsides within a month of the invasion and lots of aircraft had them left on the bottom... Hmm, normally I'd say "don't turn it upside down" but I've got all that bomb bay and undercarriage detail to show off...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Generally, the Olive drab was applied on top on the stripes to reduce their effect, it being considered easier to do that than attempt to remove them neatly.  Linked to this was the idea that aircraft intended to operate on the Continent would have OD on all uppersurfaces, as seen on other (later?) Marauders and some 8th AF P-51 units.  Yes, you will see Mustangs with OD just over the stripes yet Aluminium/NMF elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Initially the stripes were removed from the uppersurfaces only, by the start of July.  Then they were removed from the underside of the wing, then completely in September.  However in October the RAF bombers had the fuselage stripes reinstalled, because of "friendly fire" problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The aeroplane I'm building was based in UK until 30 August 1944 and the reference photo (see above) shows it with upper stripes covered, flying over what looks like English countryside, which dates it to July/August. So I will restore the underside stripes. That works for me because I'm not happy with the underside treatment. I am hoping to find something that strips off acrylics but not Halfords rattle can aluminium. If the worst comes to the worst I will end up back at the Halfords grey primer layer, because pretty much nothing strips that. I knew there'd be something to slow me down!

[edit] and if I'm wrong I can always stipple over some more colour underneath (or not)...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

On 10/3/2018 at 8:43 PM, AdrianMF said:

I wanted to see how closely the paint job matches the reference photo here

The wonderful Charles E brown photo, I still have the one I nicked borrowed from the school library copy of Flight Magazine in about 1970. :D 

Your call on the lower stripes is correct Adrian, some info here that has a photo of a 397th BG B-26 still with lower stripes in Jan 1945 plus another shot of Dee Feater which shows the lower strips still in place after the upper ones have been obscured rather than removed as @Graham Boak pointed out.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@stevehnz

You are  a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you so much for digging those photos out and reassuring me. I painted in the underside stripes yesterday but didn’t leave enough time to grab a photo:

1_A071_D24-_B415-4477-_B522-_E3846741_B3

This is the second time on the build I dived in without doing enough research and had to repaint. Hopefully there won’t be a third!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 14

Moving on to the last few details. Some of the doors have ribs, some don’t, and those that do have some ribs missing because of ejector pins. So I’m using stretched sprue to add them all:

CA75828_A-_A9_BC-4656-_B7_D5-168_C44_D49

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

is the turret scratch built?

Albion Alloys 0.6mm brass tube plus plastic strip and card. I started off by scaling down a 0.5 cal machine gun from a drawing and then found out that the limiting factor in turret size is the size of the gun! So if you are not dealing with (say) 15mm perspex but you have scale four inch thick turret glazing, you have to cut down your breech block a lot to make it fit. Well from 10mm to 8mm, but you know what I mean...

[edit: I’m amazed how much bigger the 0.5 is than the .303 Browning, but I guess it’s just scale everything up by 50%.]

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

I thought I’d better make a base. Down to the garage to find some balsa, stick it together with wood glue tacked at the corners with superglue cos I’m impatient:

0_CCD477_F-_A3_AB-4_DA7-_AC72-8_EE62322_

3_A19094_F-_F7_B2-4_BF3-_B127-_F529_E623

Card for the top:

B5_B58533-_DAB9-4_FF0-_B078-6_E95_E67084

Ten foot concrete squares:

9_D715221-9_C1_B-4_B9_F-97_BD-5337199696

A bit of grass won’t hurt:

16_FBBA01-_AFF5-493_F-_BFF5-6_C1_A2_FB8_

Edges tomorrow...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 5

I suppose I should post one of these:

42552_B32-4_D3_C-472_A-8352-929_EB4_DB1_

...and one of these:

A3272_E80-1903-4361-9_C4_F-6_E5_A0_B1_B5

I will finish the base, realise I’ve missed three or four things and take some pictures for the gallery tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 15

Finally got around to taking some gallery shots. Since I've only got a quota of five in the gallery, here are the other four:

IMG-5997.jpg

IMG-5999.jpg

IMG-6009.jpg

IMG-6011.jpg

We had a big tidy up in the house this week and so I could take the shots indoors with my wife's craft lamps. A combination of that and me trying out some colour balance buttons on the camera seems to have resulted in slightly better photos than my average!

I thoroughly recommend this kit! (with the usual trade off between sharper plastic from earlier pressings and better decals from the current release)

[Edit: I would add that this is a tail sitter unless you cram nose weight in everywhere. The undercarriage is fairly thin too, so it almost feels more secure resting upside-down on prop blades and tail fin!]

Thanks for looking and the interest along the way,

Adrian

• Like 13