Martin Marauder (sans decals) - FINISHED

AdrianMF

Wow!😮

Shiney indeed 😎

Really looking the part now. Great work Adrian. I look forward to seeing what scheme you choose. I have the old Revell kit in the stash with the olive drab upper surfaces and NMF under sides, which in have always liked. 

Good luck with the next stage

Cheers Greg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

olive drab upper surfaces and NMF under sides

Thanks Greg! Looking at photos and the parts, I think I have another assemble-fill-sand-respray to do yet :(  In the interests of time, I will be going for DeeFeater with home-made and stock decals with some hairy masking.

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

have only seen reasons to go and buy one

Thanks! I think the fact that there’s three of these and four Whirlwinds in the GB points out that there are some Airfix kits which may not have been at the top of everyone’s wish list back in the day but certainly intrigued many. Not sure how good the new moulding will be though. My old one from EBay is very old school and sharp.

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

spray my old MGB

Thanks Pat! Let me know when you’ve masked off the wheels with Tamiya tape and got a broom handle up the exhaust to hold it with...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 6

Hello Adrian, like a few others, I am amazed at the moulded detail on this Airfix beauty. They really did have a 'Golden Age' when they tooled this one. This is one of only a few that has never been in a stash of mine, and I now regret not having one, but where there is a will, there is a way! Good job they have just re-issued it methinks.

You are doing a cracking job on this one, and I am impressed with the silver finish.

Cheers,  Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well the one thing to do after getting a nice shiny finish is to ruin it!

DC002_FA6-_FF41-460_D-_AA98-_D32_BB942_D

The wings needed to be blended in to the roots, tailplane and tail fin needed blending, I thought I’d do the wingtip lights whilst I was about it, and the cowlings needed some cooling gills scribing in. Add to that some general tidying up and we are pretty much back to square one! After re-masking I will be giving it a shot of Halfords rattlecan white primer for the invasion stripes and then another coat of aluminium.

October 7 is starting to look very close!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

Well I thought I would get the aluminium out of the way first. I’m pretty pleased with it. The bar on the left wing is where I held it while spraying. This will be covered by the invasion stripes tomorrow:

D4_B066_D2-567_F-4_AF3-93_BA-07_C00_A8_A

Canopy frames will need touching up but up but at least the canopy is nice and clear after taking the masking off. 

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 10

I must 'gen up' on invasion stripes - with the 75th anniversary of D-Day next year I am sure to get 'roped in' to something along this theme.

Great Job Adrian :goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of fiddly painting today:

12_F84752-1_DE1-426_E-_A041-297_DBC4_CB3

And a ton of masking:

AA3_FF45_C-6_C9_B-40_E1-_AAF0-_D6_F8260_

I have generic insignia and I am going to print the tail number and nose art. The codes will be masked and painted because they have a natural metal surround.

I should be on for finishing inside the GB, he said tempting fate...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 10

Looks unreal Adrian - of course you’ll finish, you’re GB track record is good. This Marauder ticks plenty of boxes and this build will no doubt promote plenty of fresh sales or online sale price inflations!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well a couple of hours after work with some graphics and drawing programs got me a set of laser printed decals. I can’t decide on the tail serial size so I have a variety, the thick black letters will be turned into masks and I’m hoping the name is a dark enough red to be opaque:

BF1_F898_D-_FF13-423_E-92_D6-8_CE50_D796

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

Those decals look so good Adrian, honestly you could sell them. Do you do custom jobs?? Once again I’m in awe of this type of scratch modelling and it all adds up to very rewarding model building. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

decals look so good

Thanks! The serial number is just text in Amarillo font, which is available on the web from forums that do “skins” for flight sims, and the big characters are just a collection of rectangles. “DeeFeater” was lifted from an illustration on the web and then heavily processed to turn into pure black and white before making it red.

All printed on Lazertran clear decal sheet on the office laser printer. In order to economise on printing, I mark the top sheet of paper in the printer tray with an x to show which way up it was, then I print the decals. Then I put the paper sheet back in, the same way up, with the transfer paper sellotaped over what I just printed, and print again. That way I can use small remnants of an A4 decal sheet.

With clear laser printer sheet you can only really do black, or dark colours over light backgrounds, so it’s a bit limited, but when you have a job that fits the constraints (like my Coast Guard Privateer) it works very well.

When I grow up I wanna Silhouette cutter... an’ a spray gun thingy...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Decals on:

6_BFD45_C1-4242-41_DC-8196-404_E2_DE95_D

I wanted to see how closely the paint job matches the reference photo here. I have taken the photo on a chair with predominantly green fabric to get the right background reflection and post-processed the picture a bit to imitate the effect of old film stock. The ceiling is white, not blue and grey, so that throws off the top surface reflections a bit, but I’m getting close. More weathering needed...

I’ve still got some work to do on undercarriage and bomb bay doors and other details but completion inside the GB now looks probable.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 9

That's dedication, Adrian, on the weathering - Dee-feater has definitely been on a few missions. I wonder if the hastily applied? 'stripes' were getting worn off by the slipstream etc? Excellent work! Mike

• Thanks 1

I’m gonna admit that on my very first glance of your photo on my iPhone, I swore that this was the famous colour photo of the original ‘Dee Feater’. It’s only when I zoomed in that I realised it was your Airfix kit!!! 

So - big tick goes to you Adrian for both fooling me and a gentle reminder that I probably should go have have my eyes tested! 

This is another build that keeps getting better with every post. It’s gonna be another cracker. 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gents!

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

been on a few missions

Twenty-nine if I managed to cut up the mission tally decal correctly!

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

'stripes' were getting worn off by the slipstream etc?

I must admit I'm a bit confused as to how the real aeroplane ended up looking like it did:

• Did they paint the markings on bare metal then carefully mask around them to paint sections of olive drab?
  • Why would you only camouflage some of the bodywork?
  • The stripes look like they have been covered up with something, not worn away, so why didn't they paint them over properly, given that they did such a neat job around the codes and insignia?
  • Presumably the undersides had the same intermediate grey treatment? (I hope so cos that's what I've done)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1