I'm in.......

mackem01

OK so I've been looking forward to this one. I'm planning on using the same tactic as last time - I start two kits and if I finish both great; but if one proves troublesome then it gets booted

into the sad corner while I concentrate on the other. We've all had plenty of time to think about what we're doing and these are my choices:

KIT-1

First up - yet another Buffalo - I would like to do something a bit different so plan a 71 squadron machine. I also realise the vast discussion thats goneon about colour

schemes so I will finish her after reading as much material as possible. In the end though it'll be what appeals to me. And as an accompanyment:

KIT-1

We have this beauty!! I feel I have neglected my favourite for a while and it's about time to make ammends. I'm fancying something blue and camerary! I'm sure you

all know where I'll be going with this. I've put these here as a place marker but I'll not start for a week or so as I have a little jaunt to Corfu coming up.

Looking forward to a great GB as ther are some interesting subjects appearing here. Best of luck to all and above all.........enjoy!

Edited by mackem01
tidy up.
  • Like 2

welcome aboard with an interesting pair.

The Buffalo looks to be a popular choice in this GB, but you've got ma with the second one, I have no idea what your plans are for this one....time will tell.

Good luck with the builds I'm sure they're both going to be very interesting to follow.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, back from my jolly on Friday and immediately launched into the Hurricane. Being a Hasegawa kit I expected a bit better than the norm, but I have to say I find myself a bit underwhelmed. I started on the wing assy and while the detail is nice the fit left a bit to be desired - I used the optional parts for a no guns machine and the fit of the faired over ports I thought was awful as it's uneven and left a fair bit of filling and sanding:

KIT-2

I then start the four piece (!) fuselage to find that if I used the locating pins the engine cowling is out of alignment. I ended up cutting the connectors off one side to get things to marry  up properly. You then have the strange little panel under the nose that serves no purpose at all, they could have just moulded it with the rest of the nose. Anyways the fuselage has been painted and given a light wash but because of the see through effect I'll have to paint the interior of the nose black:

KIT-3

That now put aside I began to assemble the cockpit tub which thankfully was much better. The parts were a bit fragile and fiddley but I managed to get it all together without breaking anything. I did lose a small lever to the carpet monster but that has been replaced from the spares box:

KIT-4

For quickness (laziness?) I decided to use a seat harness decal that was lurking in the spares box. Looked good at the time but now I'm not so sure. I've had a trail fit of the cockpit tub inside the fuselage halves and although fidgety it will go in:

KIT-5

So I'm started at last, trying to make up lost time. If all goes well there could even be a midweek report but lets not get ahead of myself. Finally, after looking round at variety of some of the subjects in this GB I think this is shaping up to be an interesting three months with some great subjects. Happy building everyone, and as usual, thanks for popping by!

Edited by mackem01
Spelling.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Much later than promised, but here none the less. Since the last time I have had a fun time getting the fuselage straight enough to mate with the wings. I think I've done OK,

you can judge for yourselves:

KIT-6

KIT-7

I think the pics above illustrate the poor fit of the wing panels and wing-to-fuselage join ( I must have bought a friday/monday kit! ). I seem to be over the worst of it

now and after alot of filling/sanding/filling again/sanding again I seem to have a reasonable looking primered Hurricane:

KIT-8

My research showed that the Hurricane had a different, bigger style of carburettor intake. I widened it using plastic card but when sanding I got a little over

enthusiastic so I've built it up using milliput which I'll carefully and to shape when it's dry! Also, the sharp eyed among you will see which way I'm heading:

KIT-9

I seem to have gone from a box of bits to approaching finals with this, so now might be a good time to start the second kit........but I'm having so much fun with this.

Thanks for dropping by.....

• Like 5

arrr now I know what you're building! nice and something quite different, I think it's the first time I've ever seen a Photo-Recon Hurricane, and she's looking quite nice.

Today's weekly update........painting. Having taken comments from the posts concerning 'Bosun Blue', I took a tin of old blue paint (Humbrol M25) and added some black,

gave the resulting mixture a thorough swish around to produce this:

KIT-11

KIT-10

After two coats it still seems a little bit on the light side from what I imagined, but as it was mixed on site with all the variations that could have produced I'm going to

live with it. The mix is a nice colour and dries really quick, so I may have to find some other subjects I can use it on!

Thanks for looking in.....

• Like 4

Leaps and bounds best describes my progress here, and to say I'm well chuffed is no understatement. Last installment had seen her get her paint. This week after two coats of Quickshine she got an undercarriage and little bit of detailing:

KIT-12

More importantly, she took on an identity with some decals:

KIT-14

KIT-13

I'm still pants it making up and alighning the serial but still more than happy. The following week I'll be attending to more detail work - she may even get some

wheels if I'm feeling generous. Hope you like, all C&CC's more than welcome.

Thanks for dropping by.....

Edited by mackem01
forgot some words!!
  • Like 4

well done! She really is something a bit different colour scheme wise, it's great to see some of these more unusual schemes done.

I hope you enjoyed the build, it was great having you along.

• Thanks 1