1/72 Jotika Caldercraft HMS Victory By Kevin

Kevin Aris

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone

still on track to complete this build, spending as much time as i can at the weekends, with all the other normal stuff that goes on there in real life

the last of the main yards are now made and being rigged into position, LOL i now have to think about both ends when turning her around, most of the rigging should then be completed by this time next week

these are the gaff and Driver boom

QSyZ1Qv.jpg%22%20class=%22bbc_img%22%3E

I0G8tZr.jpg%22%3EyGniHHf.jpg%22%20alt=%22%5ByGniHHf%5D%22azdT6cE.jpg%22%20class=%22bbc_img%22%3ENoSv8JI.jpg%22%20alt=%22%5BNoSv8JI%5D%22

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

I have no superlatives big enough. This just blows my socks off every time I see it.

Thank you Jon, she wont change much more now, the stun booms on top of the yards, Anchors, Crests, lanterns, not bothering with the ships boats and may be another 20m of rigging to complete her

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt Parvis said:

I read that the first time as "20cm" but then it occurred to me that it probably wasn't a typo.  😲

Matt

i have still got quite a few lines to go in, the build is over 1.5 meters and is just as tall so the qty used soon ramps up

3 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic work by your spider colony. How you have the patience to do that rigging I don't know.

Stuart

funny thing is that its fun, each line is different, even if it is doing exactly the same as the line on the opposite side of the ship, and the order it done is logical, AND if it evokes comments then its justified (im happy)

• Like 1

Went to a local show yesterday.  There was a wooden brig entered in the contest.  It was really interesting to just look and see how all of the rigging went together and I was able to get a sense of the logic of it all.  I imagine in building something like this that is even more true.  

Matt

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robgizlu said:

At first I thought that initial pic was of the Real Ship in Portsmouth.

Really impressive work - how do you move it??

Rob

Carefully

its not actually that heavy, the height , is the problem, that she is almost as long as she is in height

Edited by Kevin Aris

• 2 weeks later...

good evening everyone

with the exception of a change in my next build, i have been continuing with the rigging

all the braces are now fitted, still have a couple to secure

all cluelines and tacks are now fitted

all blocks put in at the time of making the spars are now in use

forward anchors are finished on the stbd side

missing Chesstree made and fitted

tomorrow it is hoped to finish of the vangs, fit the rudder and secure more loose ends

O4lepQM.jpg

ozueuuw.jpg

QKuBiYs.jpg

CXBgkSH.jpg

y6dQtig.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, SandyBay said:

That really is a “First Class”. (did you see what I did there? 😁) model. I do hope you intend to get it photographed properly with suitable backgrounds when it’s finally completed.

lol yes, im sorry that i have few pictures of her with an uncluttered work bench, or decent lighting, the size/ sticky out bits makes it difficult to get in natural light, 

1 hour ago, Kevin Aris said:

lol yes, im sorry that i have few pictures of her with an uncluttered work bench, or decent lighting, the size/ sticky out bits makes it difficult to get in natural light, 

Oh no, I wasn’t complaining about the photos you’ve posted, they’re perfect for a build log. Just suggesting a series of “professional” photos of the finished model for framing and hanging on the wall.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

Oh no, I wasn’t complaining about the photos you’ve posted, they’re perfect for a build log. Just suggesting a series of “professional” photos of the finished model for framing and hanging on the wall.

im sure i will get something better for the final reveal

WOW!  Just came across your outstanding build and am blown away!  Have always wanted to build a sailing vessel and have accumulated various books and other info over the years but I admit have just been too chicken!  Your model is inspiring an will follow with great interest.

Best wishes, Andy

45 minutes ago, Fizgig said:

WOW!  Just came across your outstanding build and am blown away!  Have always wanted to build a sailing vessel and have accumulated various books and other info over the years but I admit have just been too chicken!  Your model is inspiring an will follow with great interest.

Best wishes, Andy

Thank you Andy

then go for it, bur i am now coming to the end of this build, LOL about time to considering i started her over 7 years ago.

for you want to try a wooden kit, you wont go far wrong in selecting the Caldercraft Sherbourne

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_cutter_sherborne.html

• Like 1