1/72 Jotika Caldercraft HMS Victory By Kevin

Kevin Aris

33 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

That’s fantastic! 👍

I’m going to go and buy and build this kit! ...

No I’m not! 🤪No way... have you seen how much work this guy’s done? 😳

thank you Steve, i love you work, as well, you build a ship and LOL i might buy a flying  thing

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Mind boggling work. :yes:

Stuart

Thank you Stuart, lol im giving me eyes a rest for 10 minutes

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ian T said:

Hi Kevin, congratulations on your work and attention to detail, I am so impressed with what you’ve achieved. Having built the Port Jackson Schooner, The Mercury, from Modellers Central in NSW, Australia, I’m now very slowly working my way through a Corel kit of Cook’s Endeavour, but your Victory puts them to shame. Still it’s something to aspire to, isn’t it?

i was lucky enough to travel to Portsmouth a few years ago and spent several hours aboard the Victory and loved every minute of it.

i look forward to seeing future updates, what plans do you have for the completed kit, a display case would be a project in its own right!!

Regards Ian

Ian, i dont quite agree with you, i dont think any build puts another one to shame, its just a matter of accepting what you are able to do, i dont regard mine as anything special, but have enjoyed what i have done, and still love looking at how others have tackled the same subject, the display case has not been thought about yet 

• Like 3

good evening

securing ropes to blocks is not hard but can be difficult in hard to reach places, here is how i do mine, this example is on the end of a bookin (not hard to get to at all LOL)

7mm block secured

through the securing rope another is passed through its this one we are going to secure

b2l1VLt.jpg

feed through enough to work on

gBqtZHX.jpg

thinner thread is tied in a half knot 

PBe8HTq.jpg

and rolled between the fingers 

z08bBIP.jpg

to form the serve

a tiny drop of c/a gule is applied to stop it coming undone, and not enough to soak through

this can then be moved up the live to simulate the serve and pass the casual glance

ygo5vrj.jpg

then just trim of the tail

vxBcfHT.jpg

i have made quite a bit of progress on the build in the last week, the fore yard is not finished with just a few lines to find homes for and then the fitting is the stun booms

KZlVzVZ.jpg

ct8aatP.jpg

these are now fitted, 

bg6ZpLO.jpg

nbMmYLl.jpg

more lines being secured this time to the channel and secured inside the bulkhead

zhaYMTM.jpgxZdvL7R.jpg0eT9dJn.jpg

although still a lot of long loose ends most of the fitted fitted so far are now secured, i dont want to cut them just yet in case i have a need to remove them

3cJHopc.jpg

D0l7lG0.jpg

and a couple of how she looks tonight

xSGMfCI.jpg

qlPrBB3.jpg9fpPyZW.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

a few seconds ago

Good evening everyone, im still here trying to get a few hours work on the build if and when i can, lots of new lines have gone in since my last post but still need to be put under a bit of tension and tied off
nfssocx.jpg

NnQWCXe.jpg

• Like 10

On 10/12/2018 at 09:40, Courageous said:

Amazing work. With all those lines, how the hell did poor 'jack' remember them all!

Stuart

interesting question, so i went and tried to find out, using another dedicated ship building site i subscribe to

this is the question i asked

coming to the end of my 1/72 build of the Victory, and i was asked a question about it on another site,

"how did 18th century sailors know what rigging went where" 

subject to the masters fine tuning, if two identical ship were built would each line go in the same position and tied off at the same point

how were young sailors taught this as i quess very few could read

so basically he is asking how would a young sailor know what rope to handle if told to do a specific job

these are a few replies i got back

They of course were trained to "know the ropes"  as the saying is.  Dont think of sailors as being just same untrained landsmen taken by the press gangs. Rigging design and fitting was done by experts and each ship would have some officers or petty officers who could rig their vessel from scratch if needs be.

The crew was graded - able seaman  was a grade for experience and would show the new hands what went where

and the crews were organised  by mast and where so there were groups to deal with thedeck of each mast the foretop men etc ectt

"Rigging Period Ship Models" by Lennarth Peterson shows deck belaying plans. There were standards to follow like most things in the navy at that time which could be modified to fit the needs and peculiarities of individual vessels (example- bomb ketch).

However, captains were free to change the rig such as belaying points, angles of the masts, etc. to maximize performance.  

Whilst there was a degree of standardization, the bosun (I think, may have been another non-officer) and sailing master had great leeway with where running lines terminated (belaying points), obviously within the physical constraints of the vessel and total rig.

Once the landsman learned his way around the vessel, including the riggong, he would "test" for his next rate.  If moving to a different ship of same class, there was a shallow learning curve.  A different class or size, though, could be quite different.

There are no references (official or otherwise) from the period which I am aware of that specified the precise run for a line, but rather specified diameter, blocks, attachment points at fixed end and so forth. 

Almost half the time, the rigging was handled in the dark.  Crew was open to change at every port.  Their nationality was varied.  Navy crew altered.

In severe weather the lines were handled under real stress.  There was every reason for having which line was where be as standardized as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/12/2018 at 20:58, Kevin Aris said:

interesting question, so i went and tried to find out, using another dedicated ship building site i subscribe to

this is the question i asked

coming to the end of my 1/72 build of the Victory, and i was asked a question about it on another site,

"how did 18th century sailors know what rigging went where" 

subject to the masters fine tuning, if two identical ship were built would each line go in the same position and tied off at the same point

how were young sailors taught this as i quess very few could read

so basically he is asking how would a young sailor know what rope to handle if told to do a specific job

these are a few replies i got back

They of course were trained to "know the ropes"  as the saying is.  Dont think of sailors as being just same untrained landsmen taken by the press gangs. Rigging design and fitting was done by experts and each ship would have some officers or petty officers who could rig their vessel from scratch if needs be.

The crew was graded - able seaman  was a grade for experience and would show the new hands what went where

and the crews were organised  by mast and where so there were groups to deal with thedeck of each mast the foretop men etc ectt

"Rigging Period Ship Models" by Lennarth Peterson shows deck belaying plans. There were standards to follow like most things in the navy at that time which could be modified to fit the needs and peculiarities of individual vessels (example- bomb ketch).

However, captains were free to change the rig such as belaying points, angles of the masts, etc. to maximize performance.  

Whilst there was a degree of standardization, the bosun (I think, may have been another non-officer) and sailing master had great leeway with where running lines terminated (belaying points), obviously within the physical constraints of the vessel and total rig.

Once the landsman learned his way around the vessel, including the riggong, he would "test" for his next rate.  If moving to a different ship of same class, there was a shallow learning curve.  A different class or size, though, could be quite different.

There are no references (official or otherwise) from the period which I am aware of that specified the precise run for a line, but rather specified diameter, blocks, attachment points at fixed end and so forth. 

Almost half the time, the rigging was handled in the dark.  Crew was open to change at every port.  Their nationality was varied.  Navy crew altered.

In severe weather the lines were handled under real stress.  There was every reason for having which line was where be as standardized as possible.

A certain standardisation and composing gangs of men of different levels of knowledge and experience. Most parts were too heavy to handled by one sailor alone, so one would group experienced and inexperienced sailors together. Experience comes very fast with the nine-tailed cat being around ...

There were no formal qualifications and exams for sailors of non-officer grades. They were moved on in hierarchy, if their superiors were satisfied with their qualities.

Edited by Kevin Aris

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening everyone

since the last post a lot of work has been done on the foremast, but comparing the photos there is not a lot that can be seen, mainly the work involves braces. where the middle of the yards are first secured to the masts, and now the ends of the yards are being secured to other parts of the ship

ZBAVVKu.jpg

HvuvCmR.jpg

wfqeouz.jpg

pJNoFNt.jpg

pJNoFNt.jpg
3csA5e7.jpg
please ask questions if anything is not understood

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

good evening everyone, sorry didn't realise it was 3 weeks since my last post, the main mast is now rigged, with the exception of the lines that pass aft, and the stun booms, the Mizzen mast has been taking my attention for the last couple of weekends, i believe i am on track for an Easter completion still

jOFk8kl.jpg

UN6pknC.jpg

RM5jfSc.jpg

V3IlNmR.jpg

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Like 6

I love it!

I built the small 1:225 Revell Victory ages ago and always wanted a bigger one...

but seeing how much time and effort went into yours, I may have a second thought on that and just enjoy watching you😉

Edited by USS_ESSESS
  • Like 2

Beautiful work Kevin.  I love the detail of this.  The complexity is mind-boggling.  

I am currently reading The Line Upon A Wind so seeing this provides a great counterpoint to the grand strategy of the day.

Matt

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments,  Matt i dont read books, but so g;ad you can relate my build to the one you are 

5 hours ago, Matt Parvis said:

I am currently reading The Line Upon A Wind so seeing this provides a great counterpoint to the grand strategy of the day.

Matt

good evening everyone, i have been quite fortunate to have had a 4 day weekend off, and the wife away, so just me and my doggie

a majority of the rigging is now done, the after sheet block are still to be made, but i want to look at where i am going to put the ships boats first, then sort out/make the gaff

i have done quite a bit of reworking on the beak head, and re-run some lines as i am finding that they were run incorrectly, and two lines were broken 

i have even replaced a few of the missing copper tiles

with the plans i have now highlighted the lines completed, and lol some were found to be missing, but will go in this weekend and as as the stun booms

lots still to do, but hopefully a few pictures will show what i have been doing

seQ5AsR.jpgOjr2i3V.jpgEMVmBqP.jpgqxfqkVy.jpg

yIwecq1.jpg

bGgBkpA.jpg

3IzhcFj.jpg

m2NYNaK.jpg

• Like 8