1/72 Jotika Caldercraft HMS Victory By Kevin

Kevin Aris

This is incredible work, and is giving a great insight into how much work goes into one of these models.

Thanks for sharing, please keep the posts coming.

Cheers,

Ray

• Like 1

Channels and chain plates (slightly out of order)
A mast is built up in sections and passes through all the decks down to the keel, to keep it upright standing rigging is used,  the tension of this is controlled by dead eyes, but to keep this away from the hull and to achieve a better angle they are fixed to a platform called a channel, to stop these being ripped upwards they are secured to the hull by chain plates

juuMYYy.jpg

s5Lf1iG.jpg

Xi1tdTe.jpg

standing rigging (defind as) Standing rigging comprises the fixed lines, wires, or rods, which support each mast or bowsprit on a sailing vessel and reinforce those spars against wind loads transferred from the sails. 

YagJUyh.jpg

Bowspirit is done first 

95rmPqT.jpg

vE3HwIZ.jpg

main masts standing rigging

shrods

these are set up in pairs so  the first pair go to the same side 

doecisn.jpg

uyQWqO3.jpg

and tensioned off with the deadeyes

sXncQMw.jpg

dHbJWJM.jpg

M3PlIRK.jpg

and then 3000 clove knots to secure the Ratlines (horizontal) lines to the Shrouds (vertical)

58Ursjx.jpg

card used to keep a focus on job

vuDwHQm.jpg

• Like 11

this pretty well brings you up to date with the build, obviously there was much more done like the deck furniture, but i wanted to just show the big steps involved, i hope this was of some use to someone, please ask any questions

Yes, a great piece of work, and some very informative details for landlubbers like me!

Thanks for going into detail with this, it is very much appreciated.

All the best,

Ray

Hi Kevin Not sure if you have any of these but I was given these by a friend a few years back they are copy's of drawings

img005_Correction.jpg

img018_Correction.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

I have a few more of different areas of the ship if your interested

img021_Correction.jpg

Keith

• Like 5

13 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Hi Kevin Not sure if you have any of these but I was given these by a friend a few years back they are copy's of drawings

img005_Correction.jpg

img018_Correction.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

I have a few more of different areas of the ship if your interested

img021_Correction.jpg

Keith

Good morning beefy yes i also have a set of those drawings, but i dont think i have ever refereed to them for this build

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone

two spars are now finished, but as they all connect to one another, i am unable to get them in place until all 11 are completed, 

took her outside for some vitamin S and blow more dust off

HXf0QUR.jpg

oTBLKIQ.jpg
K9yidjr.jpg

1R0GBh5.jpg

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Wow, frightening beautiful. 'Frightening,' in that you make me hesitate to ever touch either of the plastic Revell Constitutions I have in my stash!😨

😀

LOL wait until i start the real rigging

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kevin, congratulations on your work and attention to detail, I am so impressed with what you’ve achieved. Having built the Port Jackson Schooner, The Mercury, from Modellers Central in NSW, Australia, I’m now very slowly working my way through a Corel kit of Cook’s Endeavour, but your Victory puts them to shame. Still it’s something to aspire to, isn’t it?

i was lucky enough to travel to Portsmouth a few years ago and spent several hours aboard the Victory and loved every minute of it.

i look forward to seeing future updates, what plans do you have for the completed kit, a display case would be a project in its own right!!

Regards Ian

• Like 1