Mitsubishi G4M1 Type 11 'Betty' bomber. *Completed*

Brad

I decided to bite the bullet and break out this bad boy. It was a birthday present from mum a couple of years ago, I think she just bought the biggest box on the shelf she could find, either that or dad was with her at the time lol. It's just a great looking aircraft and the box art is super too. I've been in the zone this year, with 15 or 16 builds of my own, so time to bust out something larger and harder.

I will do a camouflaged aircraft, like the box art based out of Malaya.

lVJFl0Q.jpg?1

Edited by Brad
  • Like 10

I’ve always wanted this kit Brad, but for some reason have picked it up and then put it back on the Hobby Store shelf many times. This will be a great kit to watch being built and your chosen scheme is the only way to go.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Welcome Brad to the GB. You have made a great choice with your model. Just as the guys in previous comments, I have seen it and held it in my hand, but never bought. Maybee it is time to change that. I had almost forgotten that this kit was available. 

I will watch it with interest, although it is a Tamiya kit, so it will go together fine. 

Good luck with your build.

Cheers, 

• Like 1

I agree, welcome aboard Brad with a truly impressive model!!

It's awesome to see a Japanese bomber in a GB, it's such a rare sight, well done for bring her along. I had to download the instruction just to have a good look at her, gosh it's tempting to buy one!

Well good luck with her, she's a big beast but will look mighty impressive we completed.

• Like 1

Ok, plastic is cut. Lots of cutting and gluing of interior parts, the Tamiya colour call outs seem a bit strange, wanting the interior to be painted XF 22 grey. Shots of crashed Betty's would indicate it is interior green with perhaps some aotake in the rear fuselage. In which case I need more interior green, lucky I'm visiting the Hobby Shop tomorrow that is owned by a friend. I'll use the decal for the instrument panel too.

ru08Gys.jpg

gNGOHSE.jpg

lr8cZSm.jpg

• Like 3

the wing support is quite substantial plus there's lots of interior to play with.

I have the book (well electronic copy), "Monogram Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940-1945" and it list the interior colour to be the standard "Mitsubishi Interior Green".

Its quite a pale green colours, nothing like "Interior Green" in the US aircraft. I've attached a link that shows the colour chip. Its an Aust. company but the paint is by Mission Model from the US. But it's the chip that will be of the most help, you should be able to mx a fairly close match to it.

Mitsubishi Interior Green

• Like 1

Yeh a friend says Humbrol 117 or alike is pretty close, maybe with a touch of white. Honestly I don't get too hung up about interior colours and considering the last betty was cut up by the Australian War Memorial in the 1950's, it's a case of prove me wrong lol.

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the wing support is quite substantial plus there's lots of interior to play with.

I have the book (well electronic copy), "Monogram Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940-1945" and it list the interior colour to be the standard "Mitsubishi Interior Green".

Its quite a pale green colours, nothing like "Interior Green" in the US aircraft. I've attached a link that shows the colour chip. Its an Aust. company but the paint is by Mission Model from the US. But it's the chip that will be of the most help, you should be able to mx a fairly close match to it.

Mitsubishi Interior Green

Thanks Rich. I spend some time last night looking for the cockpit green colour. I will get my paints from them. What do you thin that paint with?

6 hours ago, Brad said:

Yeh a friend says Humbrol 117 or alike is pretty close, maybe with a touch of white. Honestly I don't get too hung up about interior colours and considering the last betty was cut up by the Australian War Memorial in the 1950's, it's a case of prove me wrong lol.

I could ask why they cut it up, but then I'd probably just get annoyed!!

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Thanks Rich. I spend some time last night looking for the cockpit green colour. I will get my paints from them. What do you thin that paint with?

I'm not sure, they recommend their own thinner/retarder as most do, but they say you can use it straight from the bottle.

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she's a big beast, I was looking at the model in a shop on Thursday, was tempting but not at the price they were asking.

You could go crazy detailing all that space!

Yes they can be pricey. You could go nuts with the detail, but you wouldn't see much when it's closed up. I've done a few large bombers; 1/48 wellington, 1/32 Heinkel 111 and recently the new mold Emily in 1/72. I even included the crew for the Emily, but once glued up, it's just black inside, apart from the flight deck.

Ok, main interior is done. I've washed and detailed up the flight deck, I won't bother with the rest of the interior as it cannot be seen anyway. Waist guns and clear to be added now before buttoning up. The etched seat belts were from Eduard.

Qlpu6ed.jpg

• Like 4

Started the wings, all seems well there. Flaps too. At the top of the picture you can see I've glued together the tail gunners positio and masked off the windows in prep for painting the interior colour.

41Evi1S.jpg

More interior colour. I also forgot to install the waist guns so that was done with a little more paint. I will pick them out with gunmetal once the paint is dry.

s1p9Ie8.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

that's a lot of paper clips! Hopefully that's you being careful and trying to get a neat join and not issues with the wing fit?

Oh yeh the fit is fine, just holding it together so the liquid glue sets.