Mitsubishi G4M1 Type 11 'Betty' bomber. *Completed*

Brad

Been a little busy the last couple of weeks with other builds and cricket season is around again, so it's training twice a week, match day Saturday and some junior coaching Sunday morning. Anyways, I have managed to get the wings glued on. The fit is almost perfect.

r1xRFMN.jpg?1

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2018 at 7:55 PM, Greg Law said:

Any progress on this Betty?

I've masked the little windows, I've also gotten most of the clear parts masked up. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 5:43 AM, Greg Law said:

That masking looks good. Does the model come with torpedoes. I'm shifting my focus on to torpedo planes next year. I thought this would be a good example for the Japanese side.

Yes you get bombs and a torpedo. I'm going with the torpedo.

I've done a little more work, just more interior paint on the clear parts.

c9FIFnq.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still building, hopefully have some pictures on the weekend. I'm having internet issues at the moment, got the speed chopped down to almost nothing because bloody Telstra thinks the bill is overdue, but they made an error in billing and are dragging their heels in fixing it!

• Sad 1

So after getting high speed net back, Telstra again screwed up and cut both the internet and phone off. Anyways I hope now it's all fixed, well at least it all seems to be working and Telstra had to comp the December bill as compensation for their screw up. So here I am, painting the beast. Ran out of IJN Grey so had to stop off at the LHS yesterday. It still needs some touch ups, but I should get it done before the finish line.

xKi23JB.jpg

eTXBYoD.jpg

• Like 2

All masked up for some top colour. I am running out of Tamiya tape!

aapGF1W.jpg?1

Red-brown is now on. I am also running out of this paint, I think I have enough although I might have to brave the local shopping center toyworld for another pot on Sunday. Hopefully the full paint and gloss will be on by the end of the weekend that way I can spend a few days decalling and weathering. All the smaller pieces are finished, so they just need to be stuck on. I should be done within the time limit.

Sd8Apzg.jpg?1

• Like 2

More progress. IJN green is on, flaps also put into place for painting. I left off the flaps for painting so I could get a nice demarcation line into the trailing edge of the wing.

9AHIaj2.jpg

Flaps and anti glare sections done at the same time.

qrGrQ6P.jpg

I really don't like using large decals, especially stripes, so I masked the fuselage band up and while I was at it, decided to paint the insignia too.

CmerBRS.jpg

All done. Now I'm off to fire up the BBQ. Merry Christmas to all.

XagqkWX.jpg

• Like 3

Ah weathering. I reckon these aircraft were worked pretty hard and if I know one thing about radial engines; they leak like a BP oil rig. I just slop on some pigment and work it in until I'm happy.

FSsSPJl.jpg

mMBkE0j.jpg

• Like 3

very nice work Brad I like!! :thumbsup: The weathering/staining around the cowlings looks perfect.

I'm glad you went with the painted insignias, they look so much better than decals.

You look to have it all under control to make it into the gallery in time.

• Like 1

Doneksi. I took some pictures inside as it's 37C outside today and the air conditioning was way too good.It is pretty filthy, I reckon these aircraft lived pretty hard lives out in the tropics. I had fun with this kit, it builds well and makes into an impressively sized model.

SF749bb.jpg

IxggpYv.jpg

p7HOYmg.jpg

qa5WQQ2.jpg

gq9EMda.jpg

MQl7l6K.jpg

u5A1EkK.jpg

• Like 3

Great finish. As Rich said the cowling weathering looks spot on. I hope you can get some natural light photos for us. I think it would look even better. My daughter is close to you so I'm aware how hot it is where you are at the moment.

• Like 1

well done on completing her Brad, she looks awesome and I can imagine she's rather large as well.

It's been great to see something this large in the GB and its been a pleasure to follow your build, again well done. :thumbsup:

• Like 1