US issue He111

TonyW

The cockpit of the He111 got a bit of detailing fired its way. Nothing major, just enough to show something more than an empty cockpit. Tape seatbelts and a couple of tiny little dial panels were added, probably a mile away from the right colours or placements but they busy up the cockpit enough for me. The canopy is much clearer than the Airfix original, but once all the framing is in place things will be covered up somewhat. There's also the thought that detailing one part of the plane will only highlight the rest of the models shortcomings. A balance has to be struck.

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg

Adding the framing is going to be a bit of a task. I'll be taking that one slow and steady.

More later.

• Like 6

I'm calling this one done now.

It's got to the point that anything more added only highlights the rather basic nature of the original kit. I'm happy with the overall look of the plane, it looks like it's been to hell and back. Not to far removed from the truth for the real thing.

The build would have never happened, after my canopy incident, if it had not been for Pete and Adrian stepping forward with replacements. Thank you both. Pete's is sitting on a dusty shelf in a Post Office Lost and Found Department somewhere between me and him. Adrians Vac Formed canopy has been bullied into fitting as best as I can get it. It looks a whole lot better than the Airfix one.

One picture for now, I'll add some more to the Gallery tomorrow, I'm off to the Mildenhall IPMS club meet in a minute or two...

IMG_6085.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Adrian.

I masked each frame line individually, painted it and then went on to the next until the job was done. I could mask a frame on each side simultaneously , so the job was fairly easy to do. The added nose piece complicated painting as there are slight shape differences between it and the main canopy. On balance it all works out fine though.

I couldn't get the canopy to fit the underside of the plane properly, so there won't be many detail shots of that area! I painted on a bit of whitwash onto the frames as far as a groundcrew erk could have reached without a ladder. That saved painting the front area twice!

I really should mould a top turret canopy as there's a very distinct mould release pin mark right on top of it. That would then mean a bit of detailing needed inside the turret and I'm just about out of time for this build, especially as the Ferguson Tractor needs finishing. Gulp. 

Tony.

• Like 4