1/76 Sherman MKI Tank +++ COMPLETED +++

BIG X

Evening All - After a lull in proceeding for over a week - due to a loss of mojo brought on by 'evil spirits' that surround me all day...

...I managed to get to the bench on Saturday AND Sunday and it certainly helped take my mind off a few things.

I am away tonight - in Bristol - so before tea I think I will try an update - Premier Inn wifi permitting...

On Saturday morning I taped the pesky rubber tracks down to the bench and found a suitable 'tool' to heat up with a light...

MK1081.jpg

MK1082.jpg

I figured this stainless steel dental 'implement' with the round flat head was the best bet.  It wasn't the prettiest result - but for a first attempt it is OK and it certinly stuck the tracks together - without burning or melting all the way through...

MK1083.jpg

MK1084.jpg

I don't think I'll be winning any awards for neatness - but any progress was good progress at this stage.

Right - the Premier Inn wifi seems to be holding up - so more later.

• Like 5

A test of the tracks on the hull showed they weren't the 'prettiest' - but I really didn't want to waste all the time necessary on 'cutting' away all that awful rubber flash...

MK1085.jpg

MK1086.jpg

...hopefully enough muddy wash would go some way to disguising it.

Anyway - the wifi is rubbish - so I'm off for a mixed grill next door - I'll try again later.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Modelling 'on the road'?? My idea of heaven! No interruptions, just good solid progress. You lucky man! Seriously though, good on you. Mike.

LOL - No - just updating the thread whilst on the road - in between chomping on a nice juicy steak - nom nom nom

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Makin' tracks to the Premier eh?

Give my best to Lenny Henry.

So that explains those snoring noises in my room 😁

• Haha 3

Well that was a damn fine feast - even of I am doing 'Sober October' so no wine...

Anyway - a bit more of an update...

I got the tracks painted - tyre black on the pads and gunmetal on the teeth...

MK1088.jpg

I used the glass candle holder on the left to hold in shape whilst I painted.  Then it was on with the US OD...

MK1089.jpg

...and time to paint some tyre black on the wheels...

MK1087.jpg

By this point it was time for a break - for the Saturday pilgrimage to ASDA.

• Like 5

Late in the afternoon I got the tools painted and a gloss coat on - then it was decal time...

MK1090.jpg

MK1091.jpg

MK1092.jpg

MK1093.jpg

MK1094.jpg

Finally for Saturday the decals were sealed with more gloss and left overnight.

• Like 5

The premier inn wifi finally had enough of me last night and threw me out - but whilst my students are getting their factory tour I thought I'd use this free wifi to show you what I got up to on Sunday morning.

It was 'wash time' - which started sedately enough...

MK1095.jpg

...but rapidly went down hill as I just splashed more and more on...

MK1096.jpg

MK1097.jpg

MK1098.jpg

MK1099.jpg

:oops:I forgot the golden rule - less is more.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I also decided to add a couple of bits of extra 'interest - by way of a spare bit of track to add as armour plate - a common practice on Shermans...

MK1100.jpg

...and a jerry can - probably filled with 'liberated' french wine...

MK1101.jpg

...as this build has not really been a classic - I might as well have a little fun I  thought.

• Like 6

Here it is with the black rubbed back - before adding sandy dirt...

MK1102.jpg

MK1104.jpg

MK1105.jpg

MK1106.jpg

MK1107.jpg

MK1108.jpg

...this only left another gloss varnish - a sandy mud wash and a final matt varnish - which were completed late on Sunday night - pics to follow...

• Like 5

So here is the final result - a well worn command tank - still lacking it's aerials though...

MK1109.jpg

MK1110.jpg

...oh and I got this little chap finished too...

MK1111.jpg

I'll get the aerials sorted and post some pictures in the gallery.

Thanks for all the encourage on what has been a 'tough build'.

Thanks for stopping by for a look - Steve

• Like 10

I think Sir is being too modest. Making a silk purse from that particular sow's ear would be a task too far for anyone, but that's a rather smart leather wallet (that was a rather tortured analogy but go with it :D ). It can certainly hold its head up in the company behind it.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Considering what you had to work with, I quantify that as a resounding success!!

I've built that kit in the past and "tough" is being kind!

Hopefully for the next one you can find something more enjoyable, that merits the full "Big X treatment"™

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What can I say - thanks guys - you got me there in the end...

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:15, Lawzer said:

Ditto!

hope we see this one finished steve! 👍

Hey Ian - could I let you and Mike down - quite simply no - finished as promised sir.

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And it was well worth all the effort, Steve.

A very nice result indeed. Most impressive.

Thanks Pete - I don't know about being worth the effort - I certainly won't be buying more for the stash - but a good learning experience.

3 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I think Sir is being too modest. Making a silk purse from that particular sow's ear would be a task too far for anyone, but that's a rather smart leather wallet (that was a rather tortured analogy but go with it :D ). It can certainly hold its head up in the company behind it.

Andy

Thanks Andy - love the analogy - you can't beat a good analogy :D

2 hours ago, badger said:

Considering what you had to work with, I quantify that as a resounding success!!

I've built that kit in the past and "tough" is being kind!

Hopefully for the next one you can find something more enjoyable, that merits the full "Big X treatment"™

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben - thanks for the tips along the way - at least I  still have the flail mechanism to use on something else in the near future ;)

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

I nearly had a heart attack at the black wash stage! It's turned out quite spectacular though.

I'll be stealing your methods for my next AFV build, whenever that might be. 😁

Hey Tony - you weren't the only one having a heart attack :lol: I  should have sprayed rather than brushing AND obviously not gone so heavy - but I got away with it - sort of :blush:

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looks great to me Steve,

Cracking Sherman :thumbsup:

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg - never again is all I can say :doh:

• Like 3

I got home late tonight from my trip to Bristol - but couldn't resist getting the aerials on - I guess my mojo maybe back...

MK1112.jpg

three aerials for a command tank and I just can't get him off the radio - '10-4 for a copy good buddy - come back'...

MK1112a.jpg

That's all folks - Thanks for a great GB 😍

• Like 8

Excellent finishing, Steve, and a cracker of a model - have the rest of the day off! That Commander doesn't need to be at the bridge until sunrise! Sweet dreams. Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Top work steve!!!  I knew you'd power on through mate!!!! 👍

(btw if you're doing stoptober I will raise a glass to it this evening 😁)

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Exceptional modelling there Steve,  the only issue I see is that you’ll probably disappoint a few other modellers when they buy one and realise that it’ll take a tonne of effort to look as good as this. 

Thats a real beaut!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1