1/76 Sherman MKI Tank +++ COMPLETED +++

BIG X

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

I have a gun barrel question now - the Airfix barrel is very soft and I simply can't drill out the end - it just keeps 'flaking'.  I have a PSC barrel that I have test drilled.  It is the same length and approximate thickness - but has a sort of open retaining partial sleeve at the base - here are some pictures...

MK1068.jpg

The PSC one is at the top - if I cut the back off the PSC and the front off the Airfix - they will go together no problem - but that collar - is it appropriate...

...here is a real one...

MK1069.jpg

MK1070.jpg

the front of this tank looks very similar to mine and the narrow mount for the gun base is the same too....

HELP - Can I get away with it....

Hi Steve

To save you the pain command tanks had wooden barrels as the gun was removed to make more room in the turret.

Hope that helps

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nice to see the Sherman getting some love, it scrubs up OK with some (well, lots of) effort:

Reveal hidden contents

408356310.jpg408356309.jpg

M4A2 Medium 'Cecilia', USMC Tarawa 1943

Reckon your Cullins-Cutter needs to be a bit narrower, same width as lower hull more or less. 

The Airfix Sherman has an attempt at the direct-vision ports for the driver & radio operator, but as you can see from the picture above at post #73 they got it rather wrong.  For Cecilia I sliced the whole front hatch section out and replaced with a reduced (non-DV) part from a Unimodel kit, I suspect rebuilding the DV ports might be a better option given the advanced state of your model.

If you want to add some detail (including the track return skids) to your model, check out the Sherman Enhancement Set from Dan Taylor Modelworks (I used an earlier, less comprehensive iteration on Cecilia):

https://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/sherman-enhancements-176-207-p.asp

You can get 1/76 turned brass Sherman barrels here (I used one of these too): 

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=1321&cat=0&page=1

PPS - RE: 'Wings' on the gun mantlet.....You could go either way really, as your tank is probably going to be DV, you could leave them off per a very early example, or include them per a slightly later one.  :coolio:

Thanks Sgt - glad you popped by to cast an eye over my latest mutation.  As the cutter is too wide I'll leave it off and stick it on something else at some point in the future.  It's easy to 'mad' at times - I think I may have done enough already.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badger said:

Hi Steve

To save you the pain command tanks had wooden barrels as the gun was removed to make more room in the turret.

Hope that helps

Ben

Morning Ben - I guess I'll stick with the Airfix 'broom handle'.  I think we are just about ready for primer then - it will be interesting to see what it looks like with a coat of grey on.

Cheers Mate - Steve

• Like 2

You're fairly nipping on with this one steve!!

another thing i love about these builds is the information - my daily mantra - learen something new every day! (At my age usually at the expense of forgetting something else......😆).....

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

You're fairly nipping on with this one steve!!

Don't kid yourself mate - it's Wednesday already and I've got an all day appointment in Bristol tomorrow - testing proposed new products for the company I used to work for - it will be weekend again before we know it...

Anyway - time for a small update - then I've got customers to go and see in the North East - which obviously involves a quick nip into the North East Model Centre...

I got the air cleaners in - when they are painted olive and covered in a bit of muck they will look OK...

MK1076.jpg

I also remembered to drill that small hole for the aerial and had a test fit...

MK1077.jpg

The 'aerial' is a little bit long at the moment - but at least I know it fits - any idea how many aerials a command tank might have...

As you can see from my 'aerial donor' - I've got about 10,000 :lol:

MK1078.jpg

...right - off to do some work - catch you on the flip side - Steve

• Like 4

I’ve got one of those aerial doners as well. Now I’ve just counted mine and think I’ve been short changed by only having 7653!!! 

I say Steve, looking at the back drop any chance of the ‘Flying Suitcase’ building built next?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looking good and nice to see its having a thorough "Big X'ing"™.

Off the top of my head I think command tanks had 3 aerials. Not sure where the extra one was though. Will check later for you.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been a bit busy for the last few days - so this has been on the back burner - now I've stalled and need some expert advice...

@badger can I ask your advice please - should I go with US OD or SCC15 for this one.  My head tells me US OD - but for some reason I did my Firefly SCC15 - I can't remember why - I'm confused - any help would be appreciated.

THANKS - STEVE

• Like 2

While waiting for an expert, I would go with US OD for this one as it was supplied direct from US stock. The Firefly would be repainted SCC15 when it was in for modification so you were right both times.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it :) 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I've been a bit busy for the last few days - so this has been on the back burner - now I've stalled and need some expert advice...

@badger can I ask your advice please - should I go with US OD or SCC15 for this one.  My head tells me US OD - but for some reason I did my Firefly SCC15 - I can't remember why - I'm confused - any help would be appreciated.

THANKS - STEVE

Hi Steve

US OD would be right (to be honest any british additions such as the radio box would be patch painted scc.15 - which is why they were designed to be simialr shades).

Fireflys were scc.15 as they were repainted as part of the conversion process.

Hope this helps

All the best

Ben

Just now, badger said:

Hi Steve

US OD would be right (to be honest any british additions such as the radio box would be patch painted scc.15 - which is why they were designed to be similar shades).

Hope this helps

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badger said:

Hi Steve

US OD would be right (to be honest any british additions such as the radio box would be patch painted scc.15 - which is why they were designed to be simialr shades).

Hope this helps

All the best

Ben

HA HA - I knew I had done SCC15  for a reason - you have just made my day.

BADGER - YOU ARE AMAZING   :partytime:

US OD it is - oh I think I found out where to put a third aerial - from shot you supplied...

Take a look at this...

MK1079.jpg

...now look again...

MK1080.jpg

Having done a bit of reading up on extra aerial positions - 'ventilation ports' were prime candidates for adding extra aerials - there is a prime spot on the centre of the turret - but this shot is good enough for me - so a bit more scratch building and a bit more primer and away we go. 

Thanks mate - Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good evening folks - I hope I haven't been too conspicuous by my absence over the last week or so - but my autumn 'mojo dip' has kicked in.  I love Autumn - it's my favourite season - but for some reason I also experience a SEVERE loss of mojo.  The Sherman has been sat on the bench for a week now - just needing a quick coat of US Olive Drab - but a week has gone by and it is still sat there...

so - in other news - I haven't partaken of GARLIC BREAD for over 2 years - but I suddenly feel the need tonight and the only stuff I could find locally is this...

3e7945c5bd0aa949a986_1024.jpg

I hope it's as good as it looks - 'LANDS GARLIC BREAD SLICES'.

Hopefully more news on the Sherman soon...

Steve :mental: :whistle: :doh:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear about the mojo dip Steve. You can't beat a good garlic bread though (except maybe with a good garlic naan, accompanied by a good curry!). My 9 year old would eat a whole garlic loaf in one sitting if we let him!

• Haha 2

Hi Steve

Yum - garlic bread looks good!! 

Sorry to hear about the mojo - I get it now and again and have figured out there's no point trying to force it.

I usually find it'll return when it's ready.

All the best mate

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, BIG X said:

IT'S THE FUTURE...

I'm supposed to polish my canopies with garlic bread? No wonder I never got the finish everybody else did :D 

Andy

Deliberately misunderstanding

• Haha 4

Very nice work so far Big X. I may be able to help you a little with that nose piece.

Early Shermans had a three piece nose with bolted flange joints. The next version had a single cast piece instead which had a more rounded profile. OK so far?

When first released the Airfix kit had the single cast nose and the direct vision slots. Somebody then made a silly decision and had the mould altered to look a bit like the 3 piece affair. However the cure is simple. Remove the two vertical ridges and add a bit of texture to the surface - jobbed. 

Your command tank shows the vision slots nicely however when the extra armour was added to the sides there were two pieces fitted in front of the hull hatches. Lots of pictures HERE TBH not a lot of work and it will make a big difference to the finished beast.

If anybody mentions 'Hunnicutt' or 'Son of Sherman' then just remind them that the sub-assemblies were designed to be interchangeable, photos prove that they were, frequently.

Final tip. The white stars on the sides were often overpainted or covered with mud. The ones on top NEVER were. 100% Allied air superiority meant 'Friendly' fire was a very real risk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Very nice work so far Big X. I may be able to help you a little with that nose piece.

Early Shermans had a three piece nose with bolted flange joints. The next version had a single cast piece instead which had a more rounded profile. OK so far?

When first released the Airfix kit had the single cast nose and the direct vision slots. Somebody then made a silly decision and had the mould altered to look a bit like the 3 piece affair. However the cure is simple. Remove the two vertical ridges and add a bit of texture to the surface - jobbed. 

Your command tank shows the vision slots nicely however when the extra armour was added to the sides there were two pieces fitted in front of the hull hatches. Lots of pictures HERE TBH not a lot of work and it will make a big difference to the finished beast.

If anybody mentions 'Hunnicutt' or 'Son of Sherman' then just remind them that the sub-assemblies were designed to be interchangeable, photos prove that they were, frequently.

Final tip. The white stars on the sides were often overpainted or covered with mud. The ones on top NEVER were. 100% Allied air superiority meant 'Friendly' fire was a very real risk.

Great tips Sleeper - I have just lost a bit of interest - due to well.... it doesn't matter....

I really do appreciate you going the 'extra mile' with the links - but I think this is going to be a 'quick finish' 'bodge job'.  I don't want to let the guys down by not getting it into the gallery - but it might not be my 'finest hour'.

I promise one thing though - I'll do my best with what I have at the moment - it might not be 'pretty' - but I will have tried my best under bad personal circumstances.

This has been a great GB and I want to play my part - everyone has done some great things - WELL DONE ALL YOU VINTAGE AIRFIX FANS.

Back soon - Steve

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SleeperService said:

A little thread hijack - this has been invaluable, I'm building a load of 15mm armour and had totally missed this detail. There's a big sheet of allied stars in the post now. 

I shall now return you to your regular programming.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Foxbat said:

A little thread hijack - this has been invaluable, I'm building a load of 15mm armour and had totally missed this detail. There's a big sheet of allied stars in the post now. 

I shall now return you to your regular programming.

Andy

That's the spirit Foxbat - keep calm and decal on... :thumbsup:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Great tips Sleeper - I have just lost a bit of interest - due to well.... it doesn't matter....

I really do appreciate you going the 'extra mile' with the links - but I think this is going to be a 'quick finish' 'bodge job'.  I don't want to let the guys down by not getting it into the gallery - but it might not be my 'finest hour'.

I promise one thing though - I'll do my best with what I have at the moment - it might not be 'pretty' - but I will have tried my best under bad personal circumstances.

This has been a great GB and I want to play my part - everyone has done some great things - WELL DONE ALL YOU VINTAGE AIRFIX FANS.

Back soon - Steve

Have you enjoyed the GB Steve??  Then that's what matters the most, anything else is just flourishes.

I believe in giving as much information as I can so YOU can decide how far to go. If another body comes along looking for Sherman information then the link is a gift that keeps on giving. Which is good.

You've done very well so far as it isn't the best in Airfix's range. I wonder how many cycles those moulds have been through.....

EDIT: I was intrigued by your avatar and went searching. What an astounding tale and true too.

• Like 3

On 25/09/2018 at 22:39, BIG X said:

Back soon - Steve

Wow Steve, we are certainly getting the benefit of the bank of knowledge the BM'ers have on tanks in general and the Sherman in particular This Command Sherman is turning out to be a beauty. I don't see any bodges in your big contribution to the GB to date so I doubt that there will be any here, quick finish or not! Well done to you so far and we're all looking forward to seeing this 'bonus' Sherman rumble into the finish. All the best. Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1