1/76 Sherman MKI Tank +++ COMPLETED +++

BIG X

more work on the turret...

This rounded 'hump' on the side of the turret...

MK1052.jpg

...is supposed to look like this...

MK1053.jpg

...it's the pistol hatch - which you can pop open and pop someone off if they get a bit too close for comfort.  Now my scribing skills - even with the right tools are pretty poor and even worse after a glass of vino - so I simply stuck an evergreen door on....

MK1054.jpg

...by no means perfect - but it adds a bit of interest.  I've just noticed that aerial mount - I'll need to drill a tiny hole in it for a piece of my famous sweeping brush aerial material.

• Like 3

I wonder when some clever modelling company is going to start casting scalled down fingers for us gorwn ups to work with! I've been having a nightmare today holding small air scoops for my scratch built 1/72 Broussard. My fingers are just far too big and the parts much too small!

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

I wonder when some clever modelling company is going to start casting scalled down fingers for us gorwn ups to work with! I've been having a nightmare today holding small air scoops for my scratch built 1/72 Broussard. My fingers are just far too big and the parts much too small!

Hi Steve - I guess that's why modelling was easier when we were kids - our hands were a lot smaller and much more nimble.  Picking up a small part with a pair of tweezers is positively scary - I just blunder on.

Thanks again for the reference pics - they are proving very useful to show what my tiny bits of plastic look like in 'real life' - Cheers Mate.

Steve

• Like 3

Speaking of scaled down folk and telling everyone not to worry about the detail inside the turret - I have this guy...

MK1055.jpg

...every command tank needs a tank commander - barking out orders on the radio - or maybe he's listening to Radio 2 and singing along - karaoke style...

MK1056.jpg

...as you can see - he fits in the turret very snuggly and there is no room left to see inside - result.

Now here is a thought...

cart.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Your enthusiasm, methods and kit pillaging are infectious; I've just built a 1/100 Matador between coats of paint/varnish on the Dinah. I didn't have any suitable decals, and plan B was scuppered as we didn't send any to Russia, so I now have a sheet for the 1st Polish Armoured Division in the post. Since there are decals for 50 vehicles, I also have a Sherman, Cromwell and M5 half track to use some of them up. I'll be sure to name check you when they appear in a gallery somewhere.

In the meantime I'm thoroughly enjoying what you're doing to this poor old Sherman. Keep up the good work :) 

Andy

Incorrigible

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Your enthusiasm, methods and kit pillaging are infectious; I've just built a 1/100 Matador between coats of paint/varnish on the Dinah. I didn't have any suitable decals, and plan B was scuppered as we didn't send any to Russia, so I now have a sheet for the 1st Polish Armoured Division in the post. Since there are decals for 50 vehicles, I also have a Sherman, Cromwell and M5 half track to use some of them up. I'll be sure to name check you when they appear in a gallery somewhere.

In the meantime I'm thoroughly enjoying what you're doing to this poor old Sherman. Keep up the good work :) 

Andy

Incorrigible

I'm glad you spotted the enthusiasm Andy - makes up for my lack of skills :whistle:

Sounds like a fun project - 1/100 eh...  Zvezda???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I'm glad you spotted the enthusiasm Andy - makes up for my lack of skills :whistle:

Sounds like a fun project - 1/100 eh...  Zvezda???

The Matador and Crusader are. The rest and the decals are PSC as inspired by your good self. Got a shelf full of the Zvezda stuff, they're nicely detailed for the size and huge fun.

Andy

• Like 1

The last job last night was to get the upper and lower hulls in a grip that any professional wrestler would be proud of...

MK1058.jpg

The fit wasn't fabulous - as expected - I will have to wrestle this into submission.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Watching this one come together has kept a smile on my face since it started. There's something very satisfying about building a kit to a point you are content with and being happy with that. The additions and improvements you are making will make the old girl feel like a teenager!!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Watching this one come together has kept a smile on my face since it started. There's something very satisfying about building a kit to a point you are content with and being happy with that. The additions and improvements you are making will make the old girl feel like a teenager!!

I think that could be my problem Tony - knowing when enough is enough - but it's only a bit of fun - not exactly a museum exhibit or a competition winner.

• Like 2

Now - progress or ideas for tonight - how do we feel about smoke grenade launchers...

MK1067.jpg

...would a command tank have them...

Don't worry - they will be so tiny they wont have the wires - they will just be an 'impression' - any thoughts...

• Like 2

Now - whilst you are thinking about the grenade launchers I have been thinking about that very dull rear end - if you pardon the expression.  I found this picture...

MK1062.jpg

...it seems Shermans with this cut out back section had air cleaners - sort of cubes with a round bit at the bottom - here is a better picture...

MK1063.jpg

I think I could make a cube with a disc on the bottom...

• Like 3

Just now, Foxbat said:

The smoke launchers might be nice but the hedge cutter is a must. Not only will it look good, but it'll hide a lot of that seam on the hull front.

Andy

would a command tank have one...  If leading from the front it might...

hmmm...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

would a command tank have one...  If leading from the front it might...

hmmm...

You could make a good case for it being essential to stop the commander being trapped by bocage and left at the mercy of German infantry anti tank weapons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

You could make a good case for it being essential to stop the commander being trapped by bocage and left at the mercy of German infantry anti tank weapons.

Being trapped by the bocage sounds painful...

• Haha 4

As a quick reminder - before I 'bocage' this build up completely - here is where we are up to now the hull is together...

MK1066.jpg

...and for good measure - the penny shot...

MK1075.jpg

• Like 5

I've just made the air cleaners and I'm going with them - this is what they look like on a real tank...

MK1071.jpg

I'll let them set for a bit and then get them stuck up inside...

MK1072.jpg

...a tad rough but most of it will be hidden.

• Like 3

I have a gun barrel question now - the Airfix barrel is very soft and I simply can't drill out the end - it just keeps 'flaking'.  I have a PSC barrel that I have test drilled.  It is the same length and approximate thickness - but has a sort of open retaining partial sleeve at the base - here are some pictures...

MK1068.jpg

The PSC one is at the top - if I cut the back off the PSC and the front off the Airfix - they will go together no problem - but that collar - is it appropriate...

...here is a real one...

MK1069.jpg

MK1070.jpg

the front of this tank looks very similar to mine and the narrow mount for the gun base is the same too....

HELP - Can I get away with it....

• Like 1

A quick test of the Cullen Hedge Cutter...

IMG_4031.jpg

...don't panic - it is only 'posed' - not stuck on - but I think I like it - any more thoughts....

• Like 4

Nice to see the Sherman getting some love, it scrubs up OK with some (well, lots of) effort:

Spoiler

408356310.jpg408356309.jpg

M4A2 Medium 'Cecilia', USMC Tarawa 1943

Reckon your Cullins-Cutter needs to be a bit narrower, same width as lower hull more or less. 

The Airfix Sherman has an attempt at the direct-vision ports for the driver & radio operator, but as you can see from the picture above at post #73 they got it rather wrong.  For Cecilia I sliced the whole front hatch section out and replaced with a reduced (non-DV) part from a Unimodel kit, I suspect rebuilding the DV ports might be a better option given the advanced state of your model.

If you want to add some detail (including the track return skids) to your model, check out the Sherman Enhancement Set from Dan Taylor Modelworks (I used an earlier, less comprehensive iteration on Cecilia):

https://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/sherman-enhancements-176-207-p.asp

You can get 1/76 turned brass Sherman barrels here (I used one of these too): 

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=1321&cat=0&page=1

PPS - RE: 'Wings' on the gun mantlet.....You could go either way really, as your tank is probably going to be DV, you could leave them off per a very early example, or include them per a slightly later one.  :coolio:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1