Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

BIG X

1/76 Sherman MKI Tank +++ COMPLETED +++

Recommended Posts

Evening folks - I've been taking a couple of days off - just browsing the forum and I was convinced that I had finished my stint in the GB.  I had a fleeting conversation with my good friend @badger during my K2 / K6 builds and we spoke about the very ropey Sherman Crab - flail tank.  We both agreed that the flail support equipment wasn't too bad and with a bit of work on the flail itself it could be added to a much better example of a Sherman.  That leaves me with this Sherman - which is 1961 vintage and a 'little basic'.  @badger then came up with the idea of building it as a command tank - so here we are.

 

This is mine - looks impressive from the box art...

 

IMG_3616.jpg

 

...I'll be back in a bit with some sprue shots and a bit more background - I hope you'll tag along - Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo - another "Big X buildfest"™

 

Following along with this one, sadly rather fed up of popcorn (due to all your builds!), so have ordered a pint and a sharing size bag of salt and vinegar crisps.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, badger said:

Woohoo - another "Big X buildfest"™

 

Following along with this one, sadly rather fed up of popcorn (due to all your builds!), so have ordered a pint and a sharing size bag of salt and vinegar crisps.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Wot he says!! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said the sprues date back to 1961 and if you were around back then you may have seen this bag hanging in your local Woolies...

 

MK1001.jpg

 

it went through various incarnations - including this one with a dead soldier in the foreground...

 

MK1002.jpg

 

....those were the days - but later versions edited him out...

 

MK1003.jpg

 

...then on to the 'modern age' - who on earth put the decals on this...

 

MK1004.jpg

I think if it was still in this box I may not have splashed out on it - he obviously wasn't using Airfix Decalfix :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway - here are the sprues...

 

MK1005.jpg

 

The ones on the left and the right are for the flail - so that just leaves the stuff down the centre - not a lot really - plenty of wheels and bogies / a few hatches and not a lot else.

 

OH - there are those rubber tracks though - I've never done rubber tracks - so question 1 - what do I use to glue them together...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The instructions are simple enough...

 

MK1007.jpg

 

and the paint job is pretty basic too...

 

MK1008.jpg

 

A bit of US Olive Drab / some Gunmetal / a spot of rust...

 

What could possibly go wrong - I could have it done before bedtime :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst pondering whether to build this or bin it I did 'whittle' all the flash off the parts and bag them up in groups - saving time further down the line...

 

MK1009.jpg

 

So - according to the instructions - STEP 1...

 

MK1010.jpg

 

MK1011.jpg

 

BLIMEY - that was quick and easy - but I need to let them dry.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time honoured tradition is a hot screwdriver to melt the tracks together.

 

Either that or superglue as at least you don't have the horrible stiff silver vinyl tracks that airfix used for a while.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, badger said:

Time honoured tradition is a hot screwdriver to melt the tracks together.

 

Either that or superglue as at least you don't have the horrible stiff silver vinyl tracks that airfix used for a while.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Thanks for that Ben - I don't know if mum will let me loose with a hot screwdriver - I might have to wait until dad gets home from work - so he can help me...

 

...oh those were the days eh - thanks for the tip - if I burn the house down I'll be sure to mention your name :lol:

 

Next daft question - do I paint them and then weld them - or weld first and then paint...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a bambi stapler for the tracks on my Chi Ha. They're impervious to all known glue and near impossible to get into the right position to apply the hot blade so the stapler saves a lot of time, effort and heartache.

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Foxbat said:

I used a bambi stapler for the tracks on my Chi Ha. They're impervious to all known glue and near impossible to get into the right position to apply the hot blade so the stapler saves a lot of time, effort and heartache.

 

Andy

...and I thought this was going to be simple Andy ;)  Looks like it might be a late bedtime :doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW Folks - I don't know if you know - but building a Sherman - especially a little Sherman AND one that is not entirely accurate is a very dangerous thing to attempt.  There are so many Sherman fans out there that you run the risk of offending people.  You know you are in deep trouble when they start referring to 'Hunnicut' - which is the Sherman Bible.

 

I think I'm safe - hidden away here in the GB - but you'll know if I come a cropper - as the Sherman Police will come down on me like a ton of bricks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a bit of Tamiya tape to hold the track ends roughly together, banged in a couple of staples then ran away. Think the tape is still visible in my gallery pictures. I'm sure you could hide any leftovers under some of your superb weathering.

 

Andy

Enabler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done a little research for the build and @badger sent me this picture - for research purposes only - of a command tank...

 

Major_General_George_Pip_Roberts_right_c

 

...Major General George 'Pip' Roberts (right) commanding 11th Armoured Division with Brigadier Roscoe Harvey of 29th Armoured Brigade and a Sherman command tank Normandy.

 

I also found this brilliant shot with a great road sign...

 

aafee7bf4117d8cd818bbf6e504bb61c.jpg

 

...it really gives a 'sense of place' - literally - including a MAP REF and here's another command tank...

 

SHER.jpg

 

Fantastic stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I used a bit of Tamiya tape to hold the track ends roughly together, banged in a couple of staples then ran away. Think the tape is still visible in my gallery pictures. I'm sure you could hide any leftovers under some of your superb weathering.

 

Andy

Enabler

I like the running away bit :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I used a bambi stapler for the tracks on my Chi Ha. They're impervious to all known glue and near impossible to get into the right position to apply the hot blade so the stapler saves a lot of time, effort and heartache.

 

Andy

I seem to remember sewing the tracks up at least once!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd paint first myself. Please note some types of sherman track have a rubber block with metal end connectors.

 

Can't remember but I think the track airfix supply may be one of these.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BIG X said:

BTW Folks - I don't know if you know - but building a Sherman - especially a little Sherman AND one that is not entirely accurate is a very dangerous thing to attempt.  There are so many Sherman fans out there that you run the risk of offending people.  You know you are in deep trouble when they start referring to 'Hunnicut' - which is the Sherman Bible.

 

I think I'm safe - hidden away here in the GB - but you'll know if I come a cropper - as the Sherman Police will come down on me like a ton of bricks.

Check this website for a comprehensive break down of the different versions and features (I printed it all and have it in a folder).

 

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, badger said:

I'd paint first myself. Please note some types of sherman track have a rubber block with metal end connectors.

 

Can't remember but I think the track airfix supply may be one of these.

 

All the best

 

Ben

I'll grab a quick photo - back in a mo...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK - I think your right about the rubber blocked tracks...

 

MK1026.jpg

 

...here is a bit of 'spare track' - partially 'rusted' - compared to the Airfix track - god I hope all that 'rubber flash doesn't show...

 

...so I just paint the edges gunmetal - what about the inside of the track...

 

MK1027.jpg

 

...it's not urgent - I have a good way to go before I get to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final novice question of the day - do you / I prime the tracks as per normal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve

 

Yep - the inner and outer blocks are rubber (I mix earth brown and black as this looks less stark than pure black).

 

Flash - ahaaa - saviour of the universe!!

 

I'd still prime as usual

 

Hope that helps

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That german tank thingy I did (think this year) had them 'orrible rubber tracks.

 

I attempted superglue and ended up a right state.  Just had a look at it and you can see the gaps 😳...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

That german tank thingy I did (think this year) had them 'orrible rubber tracks.

 

I attempted superglue and ended up a right state.  Just had a look at it and you can see the gaps 😳...

 

 

OOH YEH - REVELL JAGDPANZER 1/76 if I remember right - it came with a nice base though - I bought one too - but never made it after your problems.  I might fish the base out though and see if I can use it for something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning folks - well nearly lunchtime actually...  Whilst the wheels were drying on their bogies and after I had finished rambling on about tracks I got a bit more done last night.

 

I attached the sides to the base to form the main hull.  The mating points weren't exactly accurate and it was more of a best guess - I hope I've got it right - or it might be a fight when the top goes on...

 

MK1012.jpg

 

...please ignore the rather large puddles of glue - it's the way I  work on areas that will be hidden - slap it on... :oops:

 

I cleared all the wheel holes of flash - so they won't fight me later...

 

MK1013.jpg

 

I got the back door section on too - bit if flash I missed...

 

MK1014.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...