RNZAF 1/72 F4U-1A Corsair NZ5277

Pierpaolo

Pierpaolo 

Make sure you choose your markings carefully for that paint scheme. Most of the NZ Corsairs just had dark blue upper surfaces. I think there was a few that retained the US colours for a while which is what you have done.

The dark blue faded quickly in the islands that gave a patchy look. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 9:21 PM, Hewy said:

Might have my wires crossed with the rules but the uss bunkerhill participated in the battle for rabaul,  with air cover for the fleet during the battle, the box art  i believe is one of these, although the corsairs were land based earlier they were reinstated to the  uss bunkerhill for the battle, forgive me if I'm wide of the mark here, 

Glynn 

Hello Dears,

Definitely NO, The box art of the Tamiya 1/48 Corsair is absolutely wrong. VF-17 has used Corsair in this Pacific (Not so) But they were F4U-1A, not Bird cage ones. For the strike on Rabaul, VF-17 provided air cover for the carriers, taking off from a Land base... They landed on the Carriers to refuel and rearm, were launched again for provide cover for the CAG coming back from Rabaul and then get back to Ondonga. 

All this because the Corsair was not cleared for carrier use in the USN at the time....

The FAA has already used their Corsairs from carriers at this time :whistle:

Did I hear FAA first and foremost ??? :rofl2:

On 9/9/2018 at 2:07 PM, Pierpaolo said:

Hi
I would like to join with this F4U-1 (or -2) "Birdcage" Corsair
Tamiya 1/48th scale

I have not yet chosen the subject: I have already built the white 20 of the Marines VMF-213 in 1/72 scale but it remains my favorite for early 2 tone camo and the presence of the eagle on the engine cowl
Second of the list is one of the two night fighter of the Marines VMF(N)-532 (black 205 or 212) , last but don't least , the 3 (actually 4) tone camo 17-F-13 of the Navy VF-17

35941674582_2e8039e529_o.jpg

Hello Pierpaolo,

So if you build this kit as 17-F-13, please do not stick the victory markings. These Corsair were only used CONUS by VF-17 and for training purpose only.

Sorry about that, now it's your kit, do whatever you want but the scheme is wrong !

Now if you do the -2, it's all right !!

Hope that I did'nt disturn too much.

Great work on your RNZAF Corsair, I really like it

Congratulations :partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Pierpaolo 

Make sure you choose your markings carefully for that paint scheme. Most of the NZ Corsairs just had dark blue upper surfaces. I think there was a few that retained the US colours for a while which is what you have done.

The dark blue faded quickly in the islands that gave a patchy look. 

Sorry Greg

Have to respectfully disagree on the just Dark Blue.

All our F4U-1A's and early F4U-1D's were delivered in standard USN

4 tone scheme of the time.

aaddf393-5380-45f9-9540-6208119a8282.jpg

Some F4U-1A' were immediately repainted in overall Glossy Sea Blue prior to issue.

The greater remainder flew in this 4 tone scheme till wars end, with  some being

repainted in Upper Dark Blue/white by the RNZAF SU's

19928b2e-60e8-4da0-a6c8-c353ad82abd3.jpg

The F4U-1A Pierpalo is building, certainly was in the 4 tone scheme.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Thank you all for the precious information

Greg , the 1/48th Birdcage Corsair will become very probably in the VMF-213 white 20 markings
It would have been easier to use only one dark blue on the NZ Corsair but I had read that my subject carried the normal, but very faded, USN camouflage

• Like 2

That's good. I know there was a few that had your scheme. I was just making sure you were aware that it had to be a particular plane. Sounds like you have done your homework.

Looks like this subject is like the Zero's colour discussion. I have done some research on this recently because my uncle flew them during the war. I read that the photo with the line up of planes shows old and newly painted ones. The older ones have the dark blue paint faded. Anyway it isn't life or death so just keep doing a nice job of the paint work and it will look good. I personally prefer the way. You are painting it.

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Some little progress on my Corsair

Weathering step 1

I've tried to" merge" the two blue tones with an unique color darker than the intermediate blue and lighter than night blue

44008765940_1cdab9df94_o.jpg

45100929064_302d7771eb_o.jpg

in this picture the white appears more monotonous than in reality, however, I still have to work on white

30885690737_0c1408e1d7_o.jpg

• Like 9

very nice work with the paint job, the uppers surfaces look nicely faded. White can be quite hard to get to look right, but you got it pretty close, I like the finish, so weathering is all it probably needs.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 12:53 AM, Pierpaolo said:

n this picture the white appears more monotonous than in reality, however, I still have to work on white

30885690737_0c1408e1d7_o.jpg

Hi Pierpalo

Looking nice - Like Rich says above it looks good, so just weathering (oil stains etc) should suffice

Just one comment, the main Wheel Wells  should be white like the undersides - the attached

photo link of a rather bent RNZAF Corsair shows this off to good effect

RNZAF Corsair wreck wheel wells

Thanks for sharing with us

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Thank you all for the comments
Thanks  @LDSModellerfor the photo, very interesting. I noticed also the window under the cockpit, typical of the birdcage and the first F4U-1A, I hope that the subject I chose did not have it because now I do not know how to do it

6 hours ago, Pierpaolo said:

Thank you all for the comments
Thanks  @LDSModellerfor the photo, very interesting. I noticed also the window under the cockpit, typical of the birdcage and the first F4U-1A, I hope that the subject I chose did not have it because now I do not know how to do it

It's hard to tell if yours did or not. Your aircraft was about the 75th airframe taken on

strength. My understanding is that the belly window was deleted early in F4U-1A production

There are not a lot of photos (that I have seen) that show the belly of RNZAF F4U-1A's, so

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, and leave your model as is

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

My understanding is that the belly window was deleted early in F4U-1A production

True and most were painted over. They were designed so the corsair could dive bomb. The pilot would look for the target through the window, then nose over. Thus the landing gear door set-up. The front door on the vertical strut, was the dive brake. Since most were never used in this fashion they got deleted/painted over, as it was distracting to the pilot. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

that's a nice selection of model you have there, the finish on them all is excellent. I do like the "stands" that's a great idea, unfortunately all my son's blocks have been passed along to someone else.

• Like 1