Tamiya 1/12 Kawasaki ZX-RR

Hi all - a bit apprehensive about posting this as it's the first time I've shown one of my models to anyone other than unsuspecting visitors to my house.. 😂 

Anyway, here's my finished model of Shinya Nakano's Motogp bike. It's OotB and brush painted bar the green which is Tamiya rattle can. No issues except a few recalcitrant decals, esp. the wheel rim tapes. 

Pictures aren't the greatest - sorry. 

Comments and suggestions for improvements gratefully received. 

Mick.. 

DSC_1959DSC_1957DSC_1962DSC_1958DSC_1963

Wonky Donkey

• Like 16

Hi Mick, I’d be hard pushed to find faults here. Like you I build straight out of the box, and up until recently I’ve only used hand brushing or rattle cans, but I’ve recently bought an airbrush (with varying degrees of success). But for OotB and no air brush  this Kwaka has to be considered excellent. The wheel rim decals look fine to me, any hints before I attempt mine on my Ducati?

I like your idea of leaving the fairing off one side to display the engine.

There’s no need to be worried about displaying completed builds of this quality.

Regards Ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments folks! 😀

6 hours ago, Ian T said:

The wheel rim decals look fine to me, any hints before I attempt mine on my Ducati?

Closer up you can tell they don't sit quite right. The decal is wider than the rim which I think causes the trouble. Decal solution doesn't seem to do much to help on these. 

I put them on after the tyres are fitted (tried it the other way round once - bad idea!). I trim off as much of the decal film as I can to make them closer to the same width. Then, as they're in sections, I did them one at a time. I mean, lay one down, quite wet, then leave well alone til dry and then do the next etc. Took flipping ages. 🙄

Mick.. 

• Like 1

I didn’t notice the rim decals on my Ducati until late in the build. I saw that they were coloured on the box lid, but it wasn’t until I was putting a decal on another part that I really noticed several curved lines ...... I think that I would have put them on after the tyre but before putting the wheel on the bike. I could take the front wheel out, but the rear wheel is a lot mitre fiddle. So I’ve now got the fun of trying to put them onto an almost complete bike.

Thanks for the advice about trimming the carrier film.

1 hour ago, Ian T said:

So I’ve now got the fun of trying to put them onto an almost complete bike

You know what I'm going to say, don't you... 😂 Spare wheels are often plain colours, and occasionally the wrong colour.. Would look cool with the front done and rear not, IMHO

But I reckon you'll get them on OK even if the wheel's on the bike, mate 👍

• Like 1

Fantastic finish! I' looking forward to seeing more of your builds on here, well done!