Horatio Philips multi-plane -1904 , Scratchbuilt 1/72nd

A model from 12 years ago, for the Pioneers thread. One of my then Incipient efforts on scratchbuilding that today makes my smile because of it´s charming naivete.

That two models of this plane (the other by his homonym Horatio Gruntfuttok this last Wednesday) were presented at BM really beats the odds.

Well, you can see it by yourself. Reality can by stranger than imagination. The pioneering work of British Horatio Philips left many contributions to science and a great deal of machines that, after a convoluted and complex path, ended up influencing contemporary art. Among those -reputedly- flying machines, the multiplane (20-plane, to be precise) of 1904 is the subject of this modeling endeavor.
Basically a simple machine to model, the multiplane doesn't require too much effort until you arrive to the "multi" part of multi-plane.
I could find just one image of the plane, which differed from the plan I got, so I went along with the photo.

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Phillips+8+011.jpg

Phillips+8+002.jpg

• Like 27

An extrordinary contraption by any measure, but I still think that you have done a first class job with this. Glueing all of those wings together and keeping them all aligned says a great deal about your modelling skill. Nothing to smile at there!

• Thanks 1

That's a quite amazing "aircraft" and you've done a fantastic model of it!    :wub:

The more I see of these old machines the more I wonder about the people that built and flew them. It must have taken quite incredible courage to try and fly some of these things.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unfinished project said:

Moa you must have the patience of a saint, the eyes of a hawk and the steady hands of a surgeon 

That's exactly what defines a Shaolin Modeling Monk: the patience of a two-year-old, the eyes of a plant, and the hands of a fish.

Edited by Moa
  • Haha 3

Back at the computer and I find another Phillipps Multiplane - is there no end to the madness Mr Moa!! And I thought I was the only lunatic on the planet, but just seem to have the Southern Hemisphere to myself ha ha!. Great work and I shared your pain with the "multi" bit!

• Thanks 1

Another superb work!

This is perhaps that photom you have mentioned:

1904_Phillips_260.jpg

The machine like that can fly

I have fund now in net perhaps even more bizzare projects of Horatio Phillips:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/horatio-phillips-venetian-blind-multiplane-possibly-the-first-ever-picture-id2664845

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrul_tk65oLckIsAn8Eze8sPikoJiApi2e9DIGNsyhVvqAwG1O5w

1c17194129e58e37fef87aa58a02c8d9.jpg

Other inventors also did not stop at triplanes:

27975893253_e199225af8_b.jpg

9025204442_ab8a790cae_b.jpg

What an educative story about those multiplane machines!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

ack at the computer and I find another Phillipps Multiplane - is there no end to the madness Mr Moa!! And I thought I was the only lunatic on the planet, but just seem to have the Southern Hemisphere to myself ha ha!. Great work and I shared your pain with the "multi" bit!

The Horatios are multiplying like wings. This is getting out of control.

• Like 1

I remember a film of an a/c like that (maybe it was that). As soon as it started to taxi the whole wing assembly collapsed.

John

PS You really should stop posting these threads - I spend more time looking at them than modelling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2018 at 10:44 AM, John R said:

I remember a film of an a/c like that (maybe it was that). As soon as it started to taxi the whole wing assembly collapsed.

John

PS You really should stop posting these threads - I spend more time looking at them than modelling.

That's exactly what I remembered as soon as I saw it.

I suppose the (fascinating) flying model has much less weight to mass ratio than the actual? Is that some kind of "wind anchor" that is following the model about?

On 9/11/2018 at 2:44 AM, John R said:

John 

It wasn't actually the same plane, the main similarity being a multiwing design, it was a later design, somewhere I have the link to that newsreel, will see if I can find it.

Edited by Moa