Airfix Sea Harrier FA2...

Andre B

Mmm...

During building an 1/72 Airfix Sea Harrier FA2 (A04052) i noticed I couldn't find the scopes/inlets that are claerly seen on the box picture. Those two scopes placed on both sides above the fuselage just aft of the canopy...

Did Airfix miss those parts or am I not looking sharp enough om the build instructions?

In the older GR7 kit (04039) and the T.10 kit those parts are numbered 114 and 115...

Cheers / André

Andre,

Off the top of my head, IIRC, they are the air intakes for the air conditioning system. Aeroguide 3 on the Sea Harrier FRS 1 has good photos and description of the intakes you asked about.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added reference

34 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Andre,

Off the top of my head, IIRC, they are the air intakes for the air conditioning system. Aeroguide 3 on the Sea Harrier FRS 1 has good photos and description of the intakes you asked about.

Mike

Yes, but where are these parts for the Airfix FA2?

Those intakes van be seen on other FA2 kits and also be seen on the box picture. But it seems they are missing in this kit...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Funnily enough I have the Harrier FA2 with me, packing it up for Farnborough. I've had a look through the instructions & sprues( which are still sealed), and on the sprue containing the parts for the seat(sprue b) are two parts numbered 32& 33, but no mention of them in the instructions!. Could this be what your seeking?. cheers

Edited by chris57

22 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Yes, but where are these parts for the Airfix FA2?

Cheers / André

Sorry Andre- misunderstood your query. I have all three new-tool Airfix Harriers- they show the air conditioning intakes on the stenciling/marking diagrams, but none of the kits have them on the sprues. All of the Fujimi and Hasegawa Harrier kits have them as separate parts, but the Esci kits do not. You can either take the two small intakes off of one of the kits that have them- maybe somebody you know has the kits and can spare a set, or you can cut  the end off of an  external tank/rocket pod/bomb that has the same basic shape as the Harrier intake (Lots of closeup photos of them on the internet!) and attach it- you will even have the opening already made; I have used this method many times for small intakes and it saves having to try to make two identical ones from scratch! Hope this helps and good luck on your build.

I have attached a link to ex-USMC Harrier pilot art Nalls and some detail photos of his FA2 that show the a/c intakes.

Mike

http://airmuseumnetwork.com/like-fly-civilian-owned-harrier-jump-jet/

9 minutes ago, chris57 said:

Funnily enough I have the Harrier FA2 with me, packing it up for Farnborough. I've had a look through the instructions & sprues( which are still sealed), and on the sprue containing the parts for the seat(sprue b) are two parts numbered 32& 33, but no mention of them in the instructions!. Could this be what your seeking?. cheers

Chris,

I think those two parts attach to the body of the Sea Eagle missiles that come in the FA2 kit.

Mike

Mike, Chris, and Andre, I just checked my Airfix FRS.1 and FA. 2 kits; and, the new-tool GR. 1, GR. 3, and GR7A/GR9A kits. The intakes that you(Andre) described are missing from the FAA Harriers. The RAF ones have them molded on the fuselage; just aft of the blow-out doors on the top. They are not separate parts on any of these kits. You could make them from any spare tanks, etc. as Mike suggested.

Joe

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Airfix's Sea Harrier kits aren't their finest hour. 

See this thread for a lot of pointers and other excellent stuff:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43158-airfix-sea-harriers-frs1-and-fa2/&

Cheers, 

Andre

Yes, I knew. But strange is that I have read that thread a lot of times but never seen any notice about the mentioned scoops...

Cheers / André