AUSSIE P-51 MUSTANG IV, ITALY, 1945

Here's my build from the 'P-51D dedicated GB', build thread over there, but not much to say or see really. Only my second new tool Airfix I've done and it is a cracking little kit, perfect Mojo restorer if needed!  Only problem was the un-usable Aerial mast, which I did a couple of attempts at scratching it, turned a little too short and is leaning rearwards for some reason, but I'm just gonna leave it.

Used the markings from the Xtradecal sheet X72228, for a 3 Sqn RAAF machine, KH716 CV-P based in Italy 1945.

Paint was AK Interactive 'Extreme Metal' Aluminium, airbrushed with no issues straight from the bottle.  Rest was done with Vallejo and Humbrol Acrylics.  A bit of Vallejo Satin Varnish was used to dull the gloss of the decals down a bit and randomly brushed on over the airframe to try to vary the finish.

A light weathering was dry-brushed on, the 'chipping/faded' effect on the anti-dazzle panel was to hide my mistake fuselage join!

P9070002P9070001P9070003P9070004P9070005P9070007P9070010

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Nicely finished Mustang, Davey. As you say, the new Airfix kit is a good stress free build. 

Cheers Vinnie.

Looking at photo's of the actual aircraft the prop should be the un-cuffed type I think, but I got the kit at Aldi for a fiver and had the decals already, didn't really want to spend anymore on the resin uncuffed props you can get, and didn't want to attempt trying to uncuff the kit part!

Davey.

That's a beauty. The NMF is nicely done. I've used AK aluminium on mine too.

I don't know what Airfix were thinking when they designed the sprues for that aerial though! Everyone has to scratchbuild one..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Wow Davey that AK Interactive 'Extreme Metal' Aluminium is gorgeous - :goodjob:

Yeah, just gave the bottle a good shake and stir, popped it in the 'brush and fired away, no problems at all!  It's my first NMF build as well, and I don't count slapping Airfix silver over an Airfix MiG 21 back in the early '70's!

Davey.

Hi Davey,

Nice Mustang! I haven't seen those markings before.

You've achieved a nice metal finish. I've started using Vallejo Air, and their metal finishes come out nicely, but I'm tempted to try some AK Interactive as well (I've heard their primer may be better than Vallejo?).

Regards,

David