B-Wing - Bandai 1/72

Thanks guys

On 27/09/2018 at 18:52, Portaler said:

P.S Andy, did the decals go straight onto the paint ? Or did you paint some Pledge (or equivalent) on the spots where decals were needed ?

Yes, straight on the paint. There was gloss varnish mixed in with the paint so it didn't need a separate clear coat.

On 28/09/2018 at 14:44, Tommygunn1972 said:

Its a shame you cant configure it to be on the ground, this would look great in a hangar setting.

It is a shame they didn't include landing gear, which they have done with all the previous fighters. It wouldn't be hard to scratch build some though. I'm planning to do another B-Wing next year in a different scheme, on the ground and with some panels removed, similar to the X-Wing I did a couple of years ago.

I've finished up the last few areas of weathering, so I'm going to wrap this up now. The main wing has had similar weathering to the fuselage but a little more restrained. Although I've added some paint chipping to the blue panels and the orange Hinomaru, I've not really chipped the main grey paint. My thinking was that the main paint finish is something more hard wearing, while the blue and orange markings were something temporary, applied before the battle of Endor. There's an open panel at the top of the wing and I've picked out some of the details in green and silver, then added some staining around the opening as if a blast had blown the panel off.

30057261787_081c914f0b_b.jpg

I've added the S-Foil wings to the fuselage, and the fit is really tight, both when slotting the wings in to place and when securing them with the pin that slides through them. I'd advise anyone building this to remove any paint on the ends of the hinge parts and shave a little plastic of the retaining pins (or just do it the easy way and assemble it before painting).

30057260787_4841bd380b_b.jpg

For display, as I mentioned earlier, you can use one of the regular Bandai fighter stands (not supplied) if you don't fancy the rather clumsy clear stand that comes with the kit.

30057258847_1c4d1fd267_b.jpg

To use it though, you do have to remove one of the vent parts on the side of the engine casing to expose the hole for the stand.

30057258237_ba6796a8e3_b.jpg

Once on the stand, the wings just clear the ground, but the whole thing is a little rickety and doesn't feel very secure.

30057255887_6c4841d902_b.jpg

If you use the included stand, the mounting pin pushes into a hole between the engine nozzles. The end of the pin is octagonal and you can mount the B-Wing either vertically, horizontally or at 45° without the risk of it rotating by itself.

30057254917_3e8e0b047a_b.jpg

30057253427_84f9366469_b.jpg

30057252007_44f51dcc1b_b.jpg

The stand is quite large, mainly to allow the B-Wing to be displayed vertically, and it's not what you'd call elegant. It is at least clear, so it's not as obtrusive as it would have been in a solid colour. It does rather black the view of the engines which is a bit annoying if you've got the lighting unit fitted. Overall, it holds the model securely and it'll do until I think of a better display solution.

30057250247_419bc7f5c3_b.jpg

So that wraps up the build. I'm really glad the B-Wing has finally been released as it's my favourite ship from Star Wars and it completes the set of Rebel starfighters in 1/72 (although I wouldn't say no to a 72nd Snowspeeder). Thanks to everyone for following along. I'll get the final shots up in RFI shortly.

Andy:cat:

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Just amazing to look at Andy ! Beautiful !

I really think Bandai need to do that 1/72 Snowspeeder and a 1/72 Slave One. That would pretty much cover the grails at that size.

Speaking of 1/72 are you doing a Falcon ? You should do a Go Fundme for it. I'm sure you'd get some donations on that one for a WIP. That would be simply epic !  I'd definitely make a donation 🙂

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 2

On 19/09/2018 at 23:46, AndyRM101 said:

The last bits to spray were the Hinomaru markings which were done with masks cut with a compass cutter. Before spraying the roundels I added some masking fluid with a sponge to create some ships. It's not my favourite method of chipping as the resulting chips tend to look over-scale and blobby which is the case here. I'll probably refine the effect with some brush applied chips, or maybe scrape some paint away with the tip of a blade.

30917809838_efecb4504e_b.jpg

How did you apply the mask over that raised area on the side wing? Wouldn't it turn out as an oval if you apply it smoothly?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wulf said:

How did you apply the mask over that raised area on the side wing? Wouldn't it turn out as an oval if you apply it smoothly?

Yes, it would have distorted the shape if I'd tried to place the mask straight over the raised part. I had to cut the circular mask either side of the raised area, then fill in the gap with small strips of tape.

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful work as ever Andy, the subtlety of your paintwork never fails to impress, so the explanations are very much appreciated.  :coolio:

Does the cockpit pod rotate?  If so might it be possible to fit a base there allowing you to display it in any number of positions?  :hmmm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Does the cockpit pod rotate?  If so might it be possible to fit a base there allowing you to display it in any number of positions?  :hmmm:

Yes, the cockpit fully rotates. The supplied stand allows you to position it with the cockpit vertical, horizontal or at 45 degrees. If the stand was modified, or a new one built, you should be able to have it in any orientation.

On 9/19/2018 at 5:46 PM, AndyRM101 said:

Thanks guys

...Before spraying the roundels I added some masking fluid with a sponge to create some ships. It's not my favourite method of chipping as the resulting chips tend to look over-scale and blobby which is the case here. I'll probably refine the effect with some brush applied chips, or maybe scrape some paint away with the tip of a blade.

Have you thought of using the salt method? Wet the surface, lay down some salt and let dry. Paint over it and then brush the salt off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Have you thought of using the salt method?

Salt wouldn't really be the best option here. It would be quite hard to control the intensity on a very small area like the roundels, plus the water might cause the masks to lift. Hairspray chipping would work better, or simply painting the chips by hand. I used masking fluid for speed more than anything.

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How about Marmite or Bovril?  :shrug:

I've seen it used to good effect, but something about smearing something like that over my freshly painted model makes me a little nervous.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Salt wouldn't really be the best option here. It would be quite hard to control the intensity on a very small area like the roundels, plus the water might cause the masks to lift. Hairspray chipping would work better, or simply painting the chips by hand. I used masking fluid for speed more than anything.

:clap:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Awesome Job ! 

New in this forum I would like to know how did you paint the turbine? Which color did you use?

thanks

On 15/09/2018 at 00:28, AndyRM101 said:

44633288832_2cf2fb61f7_b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobe said:

Hi,

Awesome Job ! 

New in this forum I would like to know how did you paint the turbine? Which color did you use?

thanks

Hi Bobe,

The turbine was painted in a mid-grey, then had a brown enamel wash applied to enhance the detail.

5 hours ago, moviedrone said:

Did you prime any of it before painting?

Not a primer as such, but it has a dark grey base coat.

• Like 1

Hi.

Although in my preferences I have put the airplanes, especially of the Spanish Air Force to 1/72, I really like to model anything that flies. Be it an airplane, a helicopter or a spaceship (real or fictitious).

Well, over here I've been taking a look when I've found this fabulous, magnificent and amazing work. Really splendid painting work. Very very professional Also with a presentation with photographs of extreme quality.
You will definitely have me waiting for any work of yours.

I have no words to express how much I liked it.
I will calmly review all this work, and those you find in this section. I am sure that they will be not only for teaching but also for inspiration.

My most sincere congratulations !!!!!

Cheers

P.D.- Never before had I written so much in someone else's post ...

• Like 2