B-Wing - Bandai 1/72

Thanks guys

On 18/09/2018 at 21:48, GazB said:

Hey, Andy. Do you spray your Tamiya clear coat on quite heavy? I often watch vids of people using Super Clear and it goes on very wet, but I've never achieved that with my sprayed gloss coats. I have AMMO clear and Tamiya Clear, but always worried it'd pool etc if I tried to spray too hard or close.

No, I never really use wet coats for the same reason as you. In this case, the Tamiya clear was mixed in with the paint which I find to be the best way to apply it. It makes the paint finish a little harder and removes the need for a separate clear coat.

The last bits of the main painting are now done. The blue grey was mixed up from Gunze and Tamiya and sprayed as a solid base coat, then a little AMMO Cremeweiss was added to the mix to spray some highlights and leave a slightly more faded look.

42977907040_e841f572be_b.jpg

I felt that the blue grey was a little too contrasty at this stage so I mixed up a pale grey, similar to the main base coat, and sprayed that over those areas to add more fading and a general worn look.

42977905270_40340f62af_b.jpg

It's a little hard to see the effect of the pale grey over-spray in the above shot as it's only subtle, but this close-up of the wings and rear cockpit show it better, particularly around the end of the cockpit stripes.

42977904670_d0fe5392bf_b.jpg

The last bits to spray were the Hinomaru markings which were done with masks cut with a compass cutter. Before spraying the roundels I added some masking fluid with a sponge to create some ships. It's not my favourite method of chipping as the resulting chips tend to look over-scale and blobby which is the case here. I'll probably refine the effect with some brush applied chips, or maybe scrape some paint away with the tip of a blade.

30917809838_efecb4504e_b.jpg

Andy:cat:

• Like 17

Nice stuff Andy. At first I thought the grey/blue looked fine, but the fading does look more realistic in comparison. Always loved the orange marking for an accent.

I see you are using a mix of different paints, which I assume are coming from your existing selection of paints. For someone about to start some Star Wars ships which paint brand would you recommend ? Ammo ?

I wonder if there is a rough paint colour comparison chart between suppliers. Probably not. Would be pretty helpful though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Portaler said:

I see you are using a mix of different paints, which I assume are coming from your existing selection of paints. For someone about to start some Star Wars ships which paint brand would you recommend ? Ammo ?

I wonder if there is a rough paint colour comparison chart between suppliers. Probably not. Would be pretty helpful though.

Tamiya, Gunze and AMMO are all good, and they're all inter-mixable. If you want to stick to a single brand, I'd go with Gunze Aqueous.

There's an online paint conversion chart here , although it's not very up to date with more recent brands and colours. There's also an app (ios only I think) called iModelkit that has, amongst other features, paint charts for all the main brands with equivalent colours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've been scrolling through your pictures on Flickr again, and the step-by-steps are so beautiful. Love all the detail in the paint and the clarity of presentation. Write a book already 😛

Those posters are killer too.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I've been scrolling through your pictures on Flickr again, and the step-by-steps are so beautiful. Love all the detail in the paint and the clarity of presentation. Write a book already 😛

@Will Vale agreed! @AndyRM101 - what software do you use for the labelling etc?

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Don't hold your breath for a book. I wouldn't have the first clue what to write about.

2 hours ago, GMK said:

what software do you use for the labelling etc?

The text is added in photoshop, but any bitmap editor will do the same thing. The paint swatches are also done in photoshop and are a little more involved, but nothing really complicated. Just a circle with a white border ('stroke' in PS jargon) and a drop shadow, re-coloured to match the particular paint I was using.

So, all the decals are on now, along with some extras I scrounged from the spares box, and I've started on the weathering. Apart from the decals for the hinomaru and the blue panels, all of which I've sprayed instead, the rest of the decals are random stencil type markings clearly taken from the decal sheets of the kits that were used in the construction of the original studio model. To enhance the military look I've added a few more generic looking stencils and other random markings.

I've also added one or two spares from previous Bandai SW models, including the bit of aurebesh and the rebel emblem on the cockpit side.

29957014107_0e70834b29_b.jpg

The cockpit's now been added to the fuselage, although it's still only push fitted so it could be removed if required. You can see the areas of battle damage I added, which were done by gouging the surface with a knife blade. They've been given a bit of carbon staining but they'll get enhanced more with some dry brushing.

44893846171_bbec199129_b.jpg

44173712014_978fde0f91_b.jpg

29957011657_f08a745874_b.jpg

The S-Foil wings are also being worked up to give them a little more panel variation. There's some subtle chipping on the blue panels in a slightly lighter grey but it doesn't show all that well so I may re-work them with a lighter, more contrasty shade. Some of the subtlety in the weathering also gets washed out by the camera lights, so it all looks a little flat and uninspiring here.

44173708434_385e56b514_b.jpg

29957009457_ecf6692496_b.jpg

I'll be adding more weathering over the next few days, then I can start to put the various sections together.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Spectacular ! And it's not even done yet 🙂

Just out of interest, what sort of product are you using for that grime buildup everywhere, in particular around the cabling and pipes at the S-Foil pivot point to the main body. (in the pics above). MIG German Dark Yellow, or Engine Grime perhaps ? Looks so realistic !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Portaler said:

Just out of interest, what sort of product are you using for that grime buildup everywhere, in particular around the cabling and pipes at the S-Foil pivot point to the main body. (in the pics above). MIG German Dark Yellow, or Engine Grime perhaps ? Looks so realistic !

Some of it's a dark grey acrylic and some an enamel wash, probably streaking grime although I may have used others. It tends to be whatever's nearby on the bench.

1 hour ago, AndyRM101 said:

Some of it's a dark grey acrylic and some an enamel wash, probably streaking grime although I may have used others. It tends to be whatever's nearby on the bench.

*puts some pink washes on Andy's bench*

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Rwa66 said:

Do you use a DSLR or phone for your pics?

A Canon DSLR. An EOS 650 to be exact,

Just a quick update. The Chinese knock-off lighting unit turned up today. I assume it's an exact copy of the Bandai unit, and it fits in the cut-out in the back of the engine module with no problems. It's not stupendously bright, but then I don't really like super bright lighting on kits as it tends to look out of scale. This is a yellow unit, although I've also ordered a red one which is yet to arrive. I'll probably stick with the yellow one anyway as it looks pretty good.

44215233044_0c1dfa0e8a_b.jpg

31062707148_1071969aa6_b.jpg

31062706178_9ea7578594_b.jpg

It doesn't look particularly impressive under the camera lights, so there's a shot here with more subdued lighting.

44886277182_f5d8096a27_b.jpg

• Like 21

Nice. I guess you could paint the plastic distributor white and make a bit more light bounce to the end. But probably wouldn't make a huge difference ??

It's not visible, so nothing to lose I guess.

P.S Andy, did the decals go straight onto the paint ? Or did you paint some Pledge (or equivalent) on the spots where decals were needed ?

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 1

This is awesome as usual, one of my favourite SW ships.  Its a shame you cant configure it to be on the ground, this would look great in a hangar setting.

I am half way through an old MPC B-Wing kit, but have lost a bit of motivation to finish it so this has spurred me on a bit.

• Like 1

Always such a pleasure to read through your WIP posts.  Thank you for taking the time and effort to put so much into each one.  I do hope you get a lot of joy and fun out of these build because that vibe sure comes though your posts.

I do like how you have contrasted the light blues markings with the orange meatballs, that's just magic.  But then you consistently manage your colour choices extremely well.  Much to think about while rereading your build.  Thanks again, I sure do like reading your WIP posts.

• Like 1