Bristol 192 Belvedere

zebra

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm looking at that SAM article right now Z. Should you (anyone) want a scanned copy, send me a PM with your email address and I'll do it during a not too busy time later today. Please don't blame me if you all start to jump online searching for Airfix Belvedere kits, however!! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Hi Dave.

Thank you very much for sorting out my problem.  After getting the article scanned, I was unable to sort out the technicalities of sending a PM, I still don't know what I was doing wrong.  Will put it down to age.

Hi Zebra.

As Shakespeare said, "Glad that all's well that ends well".

Robin.

• Like 2

Many thanks to @Rabbit Leader for the SAM article. It's going to be very useful - there are a couple of things in the article that I hadn't thought of - and the plans are very helpful.

Not a huge amount of progress today but a few steps forward. I've started on the engine fairings, using milliput, which will need to be sanded to shape tomorrow once it's set properly. I've also cut the window out of the door and made the outer parts for the tailplanes by cutting down and altering the kit's vertical fins. 

A couple of big jobs planned for tomorrow: Trying to make the mesh parts for the engine fairings, using Eduard PE mesh. I think the forward fairing will be ok, the aft one is a more complex shape and I might have to end up compromising on the shape. Then there's the plunge moulding of the nose, which I've been putting off, but will have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

Belvedere WIP

Belvedere WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 4

Milliput now sanded to shape and mesh added. Couldn't really get the rear mesh to the right shape - it's a bit too complex - but happy enough with it. I've added some strips of masking tape to represent a bit of the framework and strips of bare metal foil to neaten up the edges. The mesh is a bit see through - if I did this again I'd add a shape on the inside to represent the engine.

Belvedere WIP

Belvedere WIP

Time to (ahem) take the plunge and  get on with plunge moulding the nose.

cheers

Z

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking great Z, I love this innovative type of modelling, sooo rewarding.. 

Cheers.. Dave

I agree fully. This is a great set of upgrades to the kit, this is modelling right up my alley, great stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Rabbit Leader and @MarkSH. I'm enjoying it a lot. 

Seems to be really starting to come together now. Plunge moulding worked out ok but the part is a little to wide. It looks ok from the left, a bit of a ridge where it attaches on the right! Not to worry - this build is really about seeing what I can do with the Belvedere kit and trying new things than trying to achieve perfection, which would need an awful lot more work than I have time for!

Other things I've got done today include attaching the outer bits of the tailplanes, adding a window to the door, fitting the door (which required a little modification to make it stand proud of the fuselage - it's a sliding door rather than the hinged door of the prototype), filling the inevitable huge gaps around the door, and adding the rectangular fairing to the top of the fuselage. Not a huge amount left to do before I start painting - door rails, tailplane struts, and aerodynamic fairings on the undercarriage legs. I've decided against adding the life rafts as they don't seem to have always been carried (although they often were). 

Here's how it's looking tonight:

Belvedere WIP

Belvedere WIP

cheers

Z

• Like 11

Hello Z, this is coming on a rum 'un as my Granddad used to say. You have done some fabulous work with this, and it really is making me want to get one sometime soon, and going back down memory lane!

Looking forward to seeing the progress and paintwork.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:29 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm looking at that SAM article right now Z. Should you (anyone) want a scanned copy, send me a PM with your email address and I'll do it during a not too busy time later today. Please don't blame me if you all start to jump online searching for Airfix Belvedere kits, however!! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

G'day Dave,

PM sent,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Last photo before a coat of primer goes on:

Belvedere WIP

The last few things I had to do before painting were the fairing in front of the front intake, new tailplane struts, and aerodynamic fairings on the undercarriage legs. The fairing on the front intake was simply a few squares of plastic card stuck together and filed to shape. The tailplane struts were needed because the ones in the kit are too short - on the prototype the strut seems to have attached to the tailplane mid-way along its span, whereas on the production aircraft it attaches close to the kink in the tailplane. Finally the fairings on the struts were made by wrapping thin plastic card around the kit's struts and filling the ends with putty.

Painting next. When I started this I had some doubts about whether it would be done by the end of the GB. If I was really going to town on it and trying to do it accurately there probably wouldn't be enough time - but to do that there are some issues that are very hard to solve (such as properly sorting out the windscreen and nose, and getting the under-engine mesh bits the right shape), so I'm happy just to aim for something that looks like a production Belvedere from a distance. And now I'm pretty confident that I'm going to get it done on time.

cheers

Z

• Like 9

Thanks @AdrianMF and @Smudge

A pretty straightforward update this time. No plastic fettling, modifying, scratch building or anything like that to report - just a coat of light aircraft grey, dark sea grey and dark green. It's a very simple camouflage pattern - I had a little trouble finding good, clear photos that illustrated the camouflage on both sides, but this looks about right. 

Belvedere WIP

Better get on with the wheels and rotors.

cheers

Z

• Like 11

Decals on. Mostly Xtradecals, 72 Squadron badges from a Modeldecal Wessex sheet. Not much more to do now - rotors obviously, plus a few aerials, and I keep forgetting to paint the exhausts.

Belvedere WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 13

42 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You gonna eat that camouflaged sausage that’s taking up too much bench space Z?? 

This is looking so good - I WANT one! 

Cheers. Dave 

Well it looks like good barbecue weather today...

thanks Dave and Ray. Dave, maybe wait a bit before you take the plunge on an Airfix Belvedere. Someone said something a little cryptic in the rumourmonger section a week or two back that suggested there might be a kit coming. This build has been fun but there’s a lot that has to be compromised because there doesn’t seem to be a really good way to deal with the clear parts and the complex shape of the mesh bits under the fuselage. It would be great to have a new kit that dealt with these areas properly.

cheers

Z

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up Z. A new Belvedere kit would be great news although I must admit quite hard to fathom unless it’s some overall resin job thats attached to an equally exotic price tag! Good news all the same. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Nice work - it’s looking very sharp with the decals on. Looking at your picture, that looks like a Britannia airways logo on a tail, and that table cloth is a fine example of dazzle camouflage - it must be hard to find a part of you drop it on there!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

hat table cloth is a fine example of dazzle camouflage - it must be hard to find a part of you drop it on there!

It's not a problem, I don't drop parts on the table cloth. I drop them on the floor instead.

• Haha 4