Black is Black

John

Reputedly the meanest, mattest, blackest acrylic black on the market:

Black1

This is one coat over a papier mache mask from The Works. It's still drying so there's some glossiness to bits of it but there's no denying it's black and it's matt:

Black2

Manufacturer's website:

http://stuartsemple.com/project/black-v1-0-beta-worlds-mattest-flattest-black-art-material/

John

• Thanks 1

This is my Tamiya T-Rex, Mark. Mark gets used for  lot of paint tests thanks to his textured hide:

markTRex

He's had one coat of Black 2.0 slightly thinned with a touch of Humbrol Acrylic Thinner, which is a retarder and flow enhancer, brushed on with a Humbrol 7mm flat brush. He was previously finished in a coat of Humbrol aerosol 69 Yellow.

Its covering power is remarkable. I think it could find a lot of use in the "deep, dark places" of our models.

I'll see how much thinning it can stand next.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2018 at 10:18 PM, Tony Oliver said:

How did he get the name ‘mark’?

Don’t you name your dinosaurs?:D

Stuart Semple would make a fortune with this if he jumped into bed with a company like AK or Mig (with added ‘modellers tax’ of course).

I’m tempted to try out some ‘developed for artists by artists:rolleyes:’ Black 2.0 if only to smell the ‘Black cherry scent’.

Anish Kapoor

Mart

• Haha 1

Sorry guys, I've been scary busy this last few days.

It's very finely pigmented but remember the idea of a pure black is to kill any reflections so any surface detail is going to be flattened.

Mark T Rex is a tribute to:

It smells like cat pee to me! 

😊

J

• Like 1