Constant Battle with BM...

Every time I log into BM and attempt/try to  submit a comment after writing out the comments I get THWARTED !!!

BY WHAT you ask ?

well just as I try to submit the comnent/post the message that I keep getting is...  "THE PAGE HAS BECOME UNRESPONSIVE.YOU CAN EITHER WAIT FOR IT TO BECOME RESPONSIVE OR CLOSE IT".

THEN you get a choice "WAIT " or  "CLOSE".

I choose Wait thinking it will be at the mist 1-2 minutes.... I have WAITED ALL DAY for it to be blooming RESPONSIVE; SO much so that I think oh Darn it... and walk away.... and so you cannot log out either.

so the next day you come back and think that   THAT super build you were drooling over and were trying to post comment  ON needs to be completed.... and STILL you can't when you return and hit the reply button...  Your post is still there but you  CANNOT SUBMIT it and so the BM wait or close cycle begins again...

What's going on.... I tried it on I pad.. cell phone... laptops... etc etc... BM thwarts MY attempts to submit... 

IS ANYONE having this unresponsive message because Boy I tell you , it's a constant thing of late.

(I am surprised  I have managed to write this far without being told it's UNRESPONSIVE !

WAIT.... I HAVE yet to submit.  So it may be uncooperative then...

so why this constant disruption... please do something. 

thanking you..:wall:

HOUSTON (WE still have a problem)....

4 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

please do something

Amazing ,tell us it doesn't work and we can read it .

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

I don't understand your post Sir

I meant that you couldn't post but as soon as you say you can't post , it was posted ! I can't imagine why you're having this problem though .

This isn't a joke but have you tried switching off and back on ? I spent a day last week without wifi so I had the ethernet cable fitted. As soon as switched off and on wifi came back on my laptop . Another quirk I've had and cleared it  is do a restore  to before this problem started ,specify a day ,not, NOT a full restore and any thing that might be upsetting your system might clear .

The best I can think of

• Thanks 1

Oh thank you for clarifying ..

I did that.. switch it off and go away on duty and hours later I still have to wait.

I think the problem  lies in when I try using a smiley so if I just write normal maybe it may stop it..

So it's 15.93 hrs as j post this... so without a smiley I betcha it posts instantly.

Yep... no smiley... instant success. Try a smiley and 🤔  and one holds breath... lol.

Just be ME.... lolol....but gentlemen thank you for your helpful input.

Edited by HOUSTON

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

input

Yes ,those emojis are playing havoc with me too. Everything takes an age to load . It just did it again  , might be the problem because they seem to have started interfering with a smooth op.

Does the problem only happen on this forum or is it common against others?  If it is a common problem it sounds like something in your set up?  If it only happens on this forum it could be an issue with your account set up.  When did it start happening and what has changed since then would be where I would start.  Or just not post emojis....  😯

As @Grey Beema suggests, it's not consistent enough to suggest it's the forum that's doing it, or believe me folks would have told me about it WAAAAAY before now.  It could be a case of you having an unusual setup, in some combination that upsets your PC.  A couple of things you might try.

• Try to do the same thing with a different browser than your current one.
  • If you are using Internet Explorer or Edge, which is pretty much the same thing, try a different browser for everyone's sake, as MS have really ruined the previous leading internet browser.
  • Deactivate all your browser add-ins and see if it stops this behaviour.  If it does, add them back one-by-one until it breaks.  You'll know which one to dump then.
  • Post your setup to the forum with details of your device type, Operating System, Processor and memory too if it's a PC, and what browser you are currently using.  It may trigger a memory from another member.
  • Disable all but ONE antivirus or malware software.  Running more than one may seem like a good idea, but they can often squabble and cause problems.
  • If you have another device in the house (or wherever you are), try accessing the site from there with the same browser (if possible) and with a different one.
  • Clear your browser's cache.  Corrupted cache data isn't a major issue for a device, but if it's being reused to save re-downloading something (an emoji for example), it may be causing problems.
  • Clear any Britmodeller cookies from your browser.  You can usually list your cookies, and any that have "britmodeller.com" in them can be deleted, but you'll have to re-login, so remember your username and password before you do.

After trying all the above, come back with as much information as you can muster, which will allow the Mods and IT literate helpful members to assist :)

Ya know, it's about time I turned all that into an FAQ so I don't have to keep retyping the wheel :hmmm:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Yes ,those emojis are playing havoc with me too. Everything takes an age to load . It just did it again  , might be the problem because they seem to have started interfering with a smooth op.

I've had the emoji slowdown syndrome for a while now. I've tried Mike's suggestions but it's not improved. It seemed to coincide with the introduction of the enlarged emoji chart. I very rarely use them now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Does the problem only happen on this forum or is it common against others?  If it is a common problem it sounds like something in your set up?  If it only happens on this forum it could be an issue with your account set up.  When did it start happening and what has changed since then would be where I would start.  Or just not post emojis....  😯

Yes it ONLY happens on this forum.

When I use desktop Pc,I pad,Cell phone with desktop version or mobile version and IF I Choose to use a smiley icon and try and submit it afterwards it FREEZES.

I tried without submitting  without smiley and it still freezes from time to time.

It started around August 2018. I just thought that in the past when BM kept GOING "DOWN"..ergo crashing  .I automatically assumed it was that reason... as WE are all aware tyat BM DID USE TO CRASH quite frequently... 

I still get wait or close option and many times just trying to go the BM page I get that other message in a white box that says sonething lik page cannot be opened... I can't remember the exact wording because I pay no attention and simply switch off and stop trying to get online to BM...

Anyway having read the FAQs  many times before so thank you Mike.

I regularly clean out cookies and history etc from MY so called gadets...

You know what I WILL JUST HAVE TO BE MORE  EXTRA PATIENT.  :)

but reading above comments I see one or two have had similar experiences..

Thanking You all. Really appreciated. 

HOUSTON.

On 09/09/2018 at 09:09, HOUSTON said:

as WE are all aware tyat BM DID USE TO CRASH quite frequently... 

It did.  Thanks to the actions of malicious unsavoury people who just couldn't let go of their hatred for me and by association of Britmodeller and its membership. :shrug::mental:

I recall that when we moved to the new version with the exanded emoji set, some people were complaining that the window would take ages to open, but much of that has gone away now.  We were aware that people clearing their cache too frequently caused a lot of the delays due to them having to re-request those little graphics over and over.  Lots of small files take a lot longer to download than one large one, so it takes a wee while to load out the box the first time, or every time if you have an aggressive cache clearing routine set up somewhere by your security software.

Truthishly though, I seldom use the fly-out Emoji box, as I have remembered (Mike remembering things shocker!) all the names of the ones I use the most, and type them out between colons to avoid all that clicking and mousing about.  Perhaps that's your way round this issue until there's an acceptable solution found for everyone?  I have made Support aware of this during the bedding-in period after that release, and there's a new version coming relatively soon, so perhaps they may have put something in place by then?  Just speculation on my part, so we'll have to wait and see :)

22 hours ago, Mike said:

We were aware that people clearing their cache too frequently caused a lot of the delays due to them having to re-request those little graphics over and over.  Lots of small files take a lot longer to download than one large one, so it takes a wee while to load out the box the first time, or every time if you have an aggressive cache clearing routine set up somewhere by your security software.

Ah, now I haven't read this and am guilty as charged over regular cookie and cache clearing.:banghead: Incidentally, on this occasion, the emoji window took 6 seconds to load another 3 to populate and a further 2 for the selected one to appear on the page. Much quicker than in the past. Is this about the norm?

41 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Incidentally, on this occasion, the emoji window took 6 seconds to load another 3 to populate and a further 2 for the selected one to appear on the page. Much quicker than in the past. Is this about the norm? 

Ya know what?  I don't know :doh: Never use 'em :lol: Just tried, and it took around 2 secs from click to pics.  I've got FTC broadband with a 56-60mbps download speed.  My workshop PC isn't all that lickity-split though, and is currently a gen 3 i5 (3450 maybe?) with a GTX760 GPU running two screens and 8gb RAM?  it's a while since I put it together though, so I've kinda forgotten the specifics. :wacko:

On 10/09/2018 at 12:50, Mike said:

We were aware that people clearing their cache too frequently caused a lot of the delays due to them having to re-request those little graphics over and over.  Lots of small files take a lot longer to download than one large one, so it takes a wee while to load out the box the first time, or every time if you have an aggressive cache clearing routine set up somewhere by your security software.

Mike, humour me here. I know how to turn this thing on and off, but not much more. A lot of the terminology means nothing to me, so therefore, could you explain what "clearing the cache" actually means. I have CC Cleaner on my laptop and every so often, about once a month, I run it. Does this clear the cache? Is the frequency that I use it too much, as I've been told that what it clears out can slow down the computer?

John.

16 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Mike, humour me here.

I shall do my best, but there are various browsers out there, and I use Firefox predominantly.  You can Google "Clearing my cache for XXXX" where XXXX is your browser, but Firefox is as below:

Go into Settings (little cog icon) > Privacy & Security > Cookies & Data

Choose Clear Data...

Tick or Untick Cookies & Site Data and/or Cached Web Content

This is likely to be broadly similar to the process on other browsers, but if in doubt, Google it :)

I've not used CC Cleaner myself, but I suspect it scrubs your cache & cookies, although you can probably add exceptions if you dig into the settings.  There's a lot of bunk talked about slowing down computers, but in my limited experience, the main cause is running unnecessary processes (all those icons in the Notification bar, adding Freeware and not reading the T&C, or not reading the install page where sneaky additional toolbars, malware or adware are also agreed to.  Even supposedly reputable companies do this, so do a bit of reading before you click ok.  Also, loading and removing apps in a haphazard manner can result in a large, potentially corrupt registry (where Windows stores all it's working data & lots more), which slows everything down.

Many people throw out their PCs because they have "gotten slow", when in fact a clean reinstallation of the original Operating System would reset the computer to near new state and allow it to carry on for years of good service.  The other main slowdown is installation of newer versions of software that assume a higher level of performance of your processor, which is often referred to as Bloatware, due to the marginal value of some of these "improvements".  "Why make the software more efficient and less buggy when we can add perceived value and make a ton of money for essentially the same thing with a new version?".  This is almost as important to know as keeping backups. :)

Thanks Mike for the explanations. I've got Internet Explorer and use ordinary Google on it, but not for BM as it won't perform certain functions such as "Quote This". I use Google Chrome for BM as it does perform that function. CC Cleaner clears out all of the sites that you've visited along with emptying the recycle bin, and it erases your passwords from each site so that you have to re-enter them.

John.

21 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I've got Internet Explorer and use ordinary Google on it

IE is well known for being a bit of a loose-cannon in Browser circles.  They try to mould the world-wide internet standards to their will, but not as many people are listening these days, as they've annoyed so many users with this persistent behaviour.  Most people use Chrome, Firefox or one of the derivatives that are out there.  You can do better as far as browsers are concerned :)

I'm not entirely sure what "ordinary Google" is :hmmm: Most people use Google as a search engine website, which it is.  it's just another website, just as Bing is another search engine website.  It's not part of your configuration, it's just a website, in much the same way as we are, only much smaller :) However, that said, It's often set as your homepage by default, or after someone/something has set it that way, and some folks at the less IT-savvy end of the spectrum do think that's the name of their browser.  T'isn't :fraidnot:  Personally, I override whatever default comes up with my Britmodeller homepage, as I think I might be addicted to the site.  Such a great bunch of folks there :wicked:

• Like 2

A few weeks ago I reported an intermittent issue in the thread below:

This thread got me wondering whether it was emojis causing the issues (I didn't make the connection) and the same thing happened last night when I tried an emoji. Usually I don't have any problems adding one into a post, so in the interests of trying to narrow down the issue I think it's only certain emojis causing the problem. Now to try and remember which one I tried to use which caused problems...

EDIT: The post was still there - last night it was the 'blush' emoji which caused the site to seize.

Edited by Spiny
New info