Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

TonyW

25 Pounder Field Gun, Quad and Limber.

Recommended Posts

My first AFV for the GB.

It's a US edition of the 25 Pounder Quad and Limber, same as the UK edition, boxed instead of header card though. The parts are all identical.

This one's getting built as it's incomplete, missing the gun crew and one of the gun barrel supports. I think I can cover the crew, the support will need scratch building.

 

IMG_5654.jpg

 

I've made a start on the kit this evening and the thing is just flying together. Childhood memories are flooding back here!

 

IMG_5659.jpg

 

The current fashion for building AFV kits seems to be assemble everything first, then get on with the paintjob. I've followed suit. I'll let the whole shooting match dry overnight, paintwork can start tomorrow. This one won't take long by the look of things!

That's a first issue header below, from 1963. Looking at the picture, it's tempting to call it all done and post it in the Gallery. All my childhood kits got painted though, I'm not about to let standards slip at this stage in the game!!

 

 

IMG_5661.jpg
 

Edited by TonyW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll definitely follow this one :popcorn:

 

One thing that has always confused me about the gun is that whopping great 'wagon wheel' - was it actually stored as shown when transporting it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea! There seems to be some kind of screw jack underneath to wind it up and down. I guess that means it's fixed to the gun carriage. 

 

I've dug out a box of AFV bits and bobs. Wonder of wonders, there's two complete gun crews in it, along with a later incomplete built model. I can copy the missing gun part from the spare.

 

IMG_5670.jpg

 

And while I'm in a posting mood, here's a quick shot from the 7th issue Airfix catalogue showing the gun team in action.

 


IMG_5668.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy, you don’t muck around now do you mate? That does look good and a fun project as well. 

 

As they say ‘“You can’t keep a good man down” and Tony’s happily popped up again with another classic build. 

 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are on a roll down on the farm this morning.

I've raided a few boxes for anything that might come in handy for this build. A T3 header makes an appearance for continuity sake, along with a much later 1989 boxed issue. My transfer stash got raided and it looks like I'm OK on that front. A few stowage items also got dug out, some boxes and tools plus a liberated pushbike to add a bit of interest. I'll make up a couple of tarps as well.

Everything has had a hit of paint by way of a primer, just to see what needs attention before proper painting commences. Now a second started kit has turned up I might as well finish it alongside this one. A team in train passing one set up to fire might be a good idea. That will need a base of some sort though. I'll have a think on it.

 

IMG_5676.jpg

 

The model will probably get finished to follow the header/box schemes although a Micky Mouse eared camouflage scheme has a strong appeal. It might be a good idea for me to forward plan a bit here. At some point I'll be wanting more of the range built up for display. A common scheme might help unify that kind of plan.  I've got a box full of part done/restoration projects that I've had for years, awaiting attention. This GB might just be the KUTA I need to do something about that!

 

More as it unfolds...

 

Tony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of years ago I actually saw a Quad, limber and gun driving down the road!

I was (for once) lost for words.

Last week at the car boot sale I bought a 25 pounder boxed set. The gun was missing but a complete Bofors set was in there.

Five quid! Included was another box containing four built Matadors and a Matchbox diamond T & trailer so not too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A couple of years ago I actually saw a Quad, limber and gun driving down the road!

I was (for once) lost for words.

Last week at the car boot sale I bought a 25 pounder boxed set. The gun was missing but a complete Bofors set was in there.

Five quid! Included was another box containing four built Matadors and a Matchbox diamond T & trailer so not too bad.

 

 

Result!

 

Boot fairs can be good sometimes.

 

tony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez you don't hang about!! 😁

 

Liking the look of this one 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the "wagon wheel" was to allow the gun to to be swung in an arc, once the wheels were clear of the ground.

 

Great progress and lightning speed, definitely a trip down memory lane. Didn't Airfix make a premade plastic one of these for wargaming ?

 

cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great progress and lightning speed, definitely a trip down memory lane. Didn't Airfix make a premade plastic one of these for wargaming ?

 

cheers Pat

They did. I had most of the range at one point. Odd mix though, there were Centurion and Patton tanks but everything else was WW2.

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assumed the "wagon wheel" was dropped on the ground and used as a solid base and  track for the wheels for re-aiming the gun, if you see what I mean.  ooh, looks like my cousin was right, back in the day!  Presumably someone must know how the 25lb-er was used in real life?

Your model looks nice, I only had the polyprop one as kid,  which missed out the ammo limber and wagon wheel anyway!  Polyprops were good for outnumbering the opposition though...

Not much help

Will

Edited by malpaso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, malpaso said:

I assumed the "wagon wheel" was dropped on the ground and used as a solid base and  track for the wheels for re-aiming the gun, if you see what I mean.  ooh, looks like my cousin was right, back in the day!  Presumably someone must know how the 25lb-er was used in real life?

Your model looks nice, I only had the polyprop one as kid,  which missed out the ammo limber and wagon wheel anyway!  Polyprops were good for outnumbering the opposition though...

Not much help

Will

Will - I knew how the 'wagon wheel' was used in action - but I could never figure out how it was transported - judging by your link it must be flippin' heavy - thanks for the link - very interesting stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I don’t think the Airfix mechanism of t-bar for play use would be practical at full size so presumably the real 25lber designers knocked that idea on the head and came up with that kind of trapeze frame, perhaps it has spring loading to help when stowing?

Cheers

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to recall that the 25 pdr in the IWM has an explanation of how it all worked but I'll be blowed if I can remember and I can't find any of the photos I took when I was last there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

I seem to recall that the 25 pdr in the IWM has an explanation of how it all worked but I'll be blowed if I can remember and I can't find any of the photos I took when I was last there 

...keep looking Chewy:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much to report, building wise. A couple of cheap photo frames found their way home with me today and are currently being offered up to a few of the builds I have on the go at the moment.

The Quad might get a base sort of like this one...

 

IMG_5697.jpg

 

The Airfix Command Post building was in the storage box that contained the Quad kit, it got partially assembled over the weekend. It may well get pressed into service here as a backdrop to the Quad team. It's early days yet, I'll have a few tryouts before moving on with this one.

Edited by TonyW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one of these moulded in sand coloured plastic from the El Alamein Battlefront set. I still had some of the crew in my spares box until fairly recently. 

 

John 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon Tony

A very long time ago (in the mid 70's) I had ''built'' this kit it was part of this set 

  http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/ho-oo-battlefront-diorama-sets/el-alamein-allied-attack-forces-p-770.html

And after building it along with the Lee/Grant Tank kit  I spent hours plaiyng with ..

 

Cheers

Patrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Quad got a bit of attention this evening.

All the construction and base painting is now done, other than a bit of repair needed on the storage rack on the back of the Quad.

The limber and gun have had a dark wash applied over them. The Quad has had it's transfers put on and a bit of glazing stretched over the window frames. It's showing white in the picture, with a bit of luck it will dry transparent. The wheels will all get a dark wash in the morning then everything can get a bit of dust dry brushed overall once everything is dry.

The base is the foam insert that came with a new electric toothbrush! Brushed on PVA glue had sand and scenic grass sprinkled over it for a very simple base. I won't be attempting anything grander, the current backlog of GB projects will prevent that happening.

 

IMG_5885.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one bites the dust!  Another very enjoyable build. It was like meeting an old friend after many years. 😁

All finished, thanks to me being a bit realistic with what I can achieve over the GB. I would have liked to incorporate the Command Post building and accessories with the Quad but the chances of it all happening without unwanted pressure in the time available was nil. Best just finish the model, out the box, and give it a simple base to sit on.

 

Here's the result. More pictures in the Gallery.

 

IMG_5920.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2018 at 11:27 PM, BIG X said:

I'll definitely follow this one :popcorn:

 

One thing that has always confused me about the gun is that whopping great 'wagon wheel' - was it actually stored as shown when transporting it...

 

On 9/10/2018 at 8:23 AM, JOCKNEY said:

I think the "wagon wheel" was to allow the gun to to be swung in an arc, once the wheels were clear of the ground.

 

Great progress and lightning speed, definitely a trip down memory lane. Didn't Airfix make a premade plastic one of these for wargaming ?

 

cheers Pat

 

On 9/10/2018 at 1:51 PM, malpaso said:

I assumed the "wagon wheel" was dropped on the ground and used as a solid base and  track for the wheels for re-aiming the gun, if you see what I mean.  ooh, looks like my cousin was right, back in the day!  Presumably someone must know how the 25lb-er was used in real life?

Your model looks nice, I only had the polyprop one as kid,  which missed out the ammo limber and wagon wheel anyway!  Polyprops were good for outnumbering the opposition though...

Not much help

Will

 

On 9/10/2018 at 2:07 PM, BIG X said:

Will - I knew how the 'wagon wheel' was used in action - but I could never figure out how it was transported - judging by your link it must be flippin' heavy - thanks for the link - very interesting stuff.

The 'wagon wheel' was attached to the gun as the linked photo indicates. SleeperDad (or one of his buddies) tells me that it was held up by a catch while traveling. Once at the gun point the catch was released and the wheel landed on the ground. Then the gun was pulled onto the plate ready for action. By using a hand spike at the trail two men could lift it and turn the gun around. The raised inner lip kept the wheels on the mount and it was important to level the area before dropping the plate.

 

Apparently all this hassle was worth it as the mount was so good only tiny corrections were needed on a shoot. Later on the turntable could be carried on the later tractors. Apparently a 'Damn fool idea'

 

The ESCI 1/72 offering is very nice too but it represents the later version with a muzzle break and associated counterbalance just ahead of the breech. This was to allow the gun to use supercharge ammunition in an anti-tank role. For conventional shoots super charge could be used without the muzzle break but it was a 'bit lively'. H&S would have kittens :D

 

A very nice and very fast build. I picked up a Matador and 5.5" gun at a charity shop yesterday £2.50. I thought I'd done well....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

 

 

 

The 'wagon wheel' was attached to the gun as the linked photo indicates. SleeperDad (or one of his buddies) tells me that it was held up by a catch while traveling. Once at the gun point the catch was released and the wheel landed on the ground. Then the gun was pulled onto the plate ready for action. By using a hand spike at the trail two men could lift it and turn the gun around. The raised inner lip kept the wheels on the mount and it was important to level the area before dropping the plate.

 

Apparently all this hassle was worth it as the mount was so good only tiny corrections were needed on a shoot. Later on the turntable could be carried on the later tractors. Apparently a 'Damn fool idea'

 

The ESCI 1/72 offering is very nice too but it represents the later version with a muzzle break and associated counterbalance just ahead of the breech. This was to allow the gun to use supercharge ammunition in an anti-tank role. For conventional shoots super charge could be used without the muzzle break but it was a 'bit lively'. H&S would have kittens :D

 

A very nice and very fast build. I picked up a Matador and 5.5" gun at a charity shop yesterday £2.50. I thought I'd done well....  

At £2.50, what's not to like !

 

Does it qualify for this GB ? :wicked:

 

Cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's another fine example of some seriously good GB output there Tony. This is another lovely build and one that I would not have even contemplated to look at if not for being part of this collection of fine Airfix nostalgia. Time to bring all the others to the finishing line, then sit back (cup in hand) and marvel at your excellent work. 

 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...