Bleriot VI Libelulle, 1/72 Scratchbuilt , 1907

A scratch model from 12 years ago, to further illustrate the ongoing Pioneer thread of postings.

There were at least three different modifications of the same plane. One has a long, pointy fuselage with a narrow track landing gear; other has a very large fin and rudder, and the third is the one presented here.

In any case, the Bleriot VI was a tandem wing design, where CG changes were achieved by the displacement of the pilot seat in a back and forth motion. Movable wing tips were located in the fore wing, acting as ailerons, although apparently they could operate deflecting in the same direction in unison too. Fortunately it seems that the rudder at least was conventional. Remember, it was 1907 and these guys were trying to figure things out!

Did it fly? yes indeed, although not very far.

15.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

10.jpg

06.jpg

09.jpg

08.jpg

01.jpg

• Like 15

Another awesome model of an unknown (to me) flight experiment  !!

I'd only wish you make a thread with all your early prototype designs together so we can easily review them daily ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, occa said:

I'd only wish you make a thread with all your early prototype designs together so we can easily review them daily ...

There are too many, that's why I thought that posting them as individual RFIs would help with identification, easy finding and referral.

I have been posting them along the lasts days (several a day), and there are a few more to go.

I have to organize a proper website with these (my younger son is a programmer, but a busy one), where all construction, finished models and background information can be displayed properly.

One day.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Moa said:

it's a variant of the type used in the Antoinette.

Small remark. The Antoinette engine is on display in Krakow Museum of Aviation. It from 1912 or 1911. Something like that. And it has ... four valves per cylinder! Something what seemed to be novelty in cars 25-30 years ago!

Cheers

J-W