MPM X-15A-2 1/72

hsr

This is my 1/72 MPM X-15A-2. This kit was a pleasure to build with very good fit and excellent decals. The only minus was the instructions which were kind of vague about colors and had a few of the decals mis-numbered. Construction only took 9 days from start to finish. 

k4SJijWI_o.jpg

jM5mOAlA_o.jpg

ZxlPOJq3_o.jpg

PzzGa5sW_o.jpg

3YhBQFfK_o.jpg

wFt2n2Uj_o.jpg

I knew you would not be able to see much of the interior with those tiny window, so I took a couple of pictures before I buttoned it up

AYBxUfcq_o.jpguu0cnFhy_o.jpg

Next up will be the Hasegawa S2F-1 Tracker kit.

Enjoy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Very nice X-15. My fascination with this aircraft started back in the early sixties when my older brother took me to see the film X-15 at the cinema. Some years ago I build the Heller 1/130 model of it. A really nice little kit at the time. 

Thanks for sharing.

Terry

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

The S2F-1 sounds interesting

I was going to build it last year but things came up. Since then I have been collection a bunch of after market stuff for it

Thanks

1 hour ago, TallBlondJohn said:

the trick with the X-15 is to get the blue tinge from heated Inconel in the black coat.

I have a picture of it from the roll out and it is a high gloss midnight blue. But later pictures show it mostly black so I just went with that.

Thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hsr said:

I have a picture of it from the roll out and it is a high gloss midnight blue. But later pictures show it mostly black

Its strange because although it was a long time back when I saw the film (1961 or 62) I do recall it appearing very dark midnight blue at that time. Often wondered why later pictures showed black.

Terry

Lovely.

The X-15's natural inconel metal was very dark but was affected by the extreme heat the aircraft experienced in some of its flights.

I built the Monogram/Revell X-15A2kit not too long ago which is not too bad a kit.

I wish someone would produce a tooling of the original shorter fuselage X-15. Revell did do a kit of this but it is extremely ancient and crude by modern standards and is an odd "box" scale.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, hsr said:

I was going to build it last year but things came up. Since then I have been collection a bunch of after market stuff for it

Thanks

It's the kind of project that would suit a bunch of after market tackle - lovely when it's available.