1/72 Scratch built Maurice Farman MF 7 Longhorn 1912

Evening All,

Following on from Moa and Horatio Gruntfuttock's superb models of early aviation types, here is another example. It was the first model that I built from scratch from plastic card and strip. It is rigged with rolled copper wire. There is a build log at https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=4228.0 

I built this on a whim some years ago: I had just completed a kit and was looking for something a little different and perhaps more challenging, so I leafed through Munson's "Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft 1914 - 1918" and this was on the first page. When I was a teenager I had wanted to make one of these but there was no kit. Now I decided that I did not need a kit, I could make one of my own and this was the result. I have included a couple of in progress images.

The Maurice Farman MF 7 Longhorn was adopted by the RFC and RNAS in 1911 where it was used for reconnaissance by 2, 4 and 6 squadrons (where it was known as the S7), and training during the years leading to the First World War. Following the outbreak of hostilities a few went to France where they were used for reconnaissance but they were quickly withdrawn and from then on only used for training. The French continued using the type for front line duties until mid-1915. No armament was carried by MF 7's.

This was a successful design which in civilian guise held a number of records including one for distance of 350 miles in a closed circuit in 1910, and successive duration records between 1911 and 1913. Most machines were built in France and equipped with 70 hp Renault engines, but some built under license in Bradford were powered by 100 hp Sunbeams, and 47 others built in the UK were powered by 75 hp Rolls Royce Hawks. One aircraft was sold to Norway which survives in a museum in Oslo, and other machines are preserved in Paris and Brussels. Good photos of these machines can be found on wwi-models.org. These were invaluable as individual machines seemed to vary (there are notable differences in the preserved machines), but specific details are well shown in these photos. In particular the exhaust systems of the engines seemed to have differed, and some later aircraft had fold-down extensions of the upper main-planes, while others had narrow chord lower planes. It is said that RFC riggers used to comment that if they released a pigeon inside one of these machines and it could fly out then there was a wire missing....

35922944486_1ea50a429d_z.jpg

35124326504_66cf1b9a9f_c.jpg

35154561643_ec0b29a03e_c.jpg

35964578495_9db9985869_c.jpg

35154669043_71d19fee08_c.jpg

35575689640_0d61c8f73e_c.jpg[

35575687370_d805bc81ba_c.jpg

35575688620_9461ef5a9b_c.jpg

35964579645_81b6d04cd8_c.jpg

35154589753_1a562a116a_c.jpg

35154588593_1f8a4f37a3_c.jpg[

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

I still think this is one of your best!

Ian

PS I just realised that my Bleriot build was hijacked by Photob**** so I've replaced the links and asked admin to bring it to this section!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

I keep looking at this and getting more and more impressed - but I can't see any reference to scale.  The Humbrol tin would suggest t1/72 perhaps...

37 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I keep looking at this and getting more and more impressed - but I can't see any reference to scale.  The Humbrol tin would suggest t1/72 perhaps...

Have a look at the thread title;

"1/72 Scratch built Maurice Farman MF 7 Longhorn 1912"

:)

Thanks to all of you who have dropped by - your comments are greatly appreciated.

Actually rigging the model took about a week of evening work: however some had to be done during construction because otherwise it would have been nearly impossible to get to. There are approximately 190 wires on this model but if the rigging is tackled systematically it is more time consuming than difficult... Yes really!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pheonix said:

tackled systematically

This, of course, is the secret to rigging any biplane, especially a cat's cradle like the Farman--or Cauldron G3/4 or Voisin III.  Rig what you can, when you can, so when it comes time for the final pieces, it is not nearly as daunting as it first might appear.  

• Like 1

Oh Mr Phoenix, my gob is well and truly smacked! That is wonderful - although I looked in vain for the 1/72nd canary trapped inside the rigging!! It would never enter my head to try something as complicated as that model and I tips my lid to thee!

• Like 1

Wonderful build Phoenix. As others have said the rigging by itself is daunting as is replicating the delicate framework of these early birds.

There's a nice AFC Shorthorn at Point Cook which I've seen and it gives a good idea of how complicated these planes are -

https://www.airforce.gov.au/sites/g/files/net3736/f/minisite/static/1469/RAAFmuseum/exhibitions/training_hang/shorthorn.htm

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey
  • Like 1