Mitubishi A6m2 zero, 1/48

Hewy

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

It came out very nice in deed. I even like it on the stand which is unusual for me. How did you mask the canopy? I bought Eduard mask. They didn't fit. So I'm having to cut them out of Tamiya tap.

Sorry to hear about your masking woes, those masks at times aren't good enough are they, 

Thanks greg, i was dreading the canopy masking, as i intended doing this oob, and not confident of it making the cut, due to what i was attempting, i decided to go about the frame masking in a different way, first using thin tamiya masking tape, the white  vinyl type around 2.5 mm, i masked and painted all of the verticles, un masked, then masked up the horizontals and painted again, i know it seems long winded but it really is easy as the zeros canopy framing is so simple,  granted it took two masking sessions, but no cash outlay on masks that may not  have fit due to the age of the kit, 

Cheers greg

• Like 1

Hi Glynn and very well done! What a fantastic result. I am so impressed with how much you have done on this project. Stunning modelling on all levels. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Glynn and very well done! What a fantastic result. I am so impressed with how much you have done on this project. Stunning modelling on all levels. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix, I'm glad you like it, i reckon it could have been so much better, with bits I've learned by doing this, the next one should be a step up, I'm going to buy up some  cheapo's from telford until I'm ready, 

As always i appreciate your comments 

Thanks, 

Glynn 

she looks fantastic!!! :thumbsup:

Really nice job on the painting and of course the stressed body work!

Even if you're not 1005 happy with her you've learnt some amazing new skills, so well done! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 08/10/2018 at 08:39, Hewy said:

Sorry to hear about your masking woes, those masks at times aren't good enough are they, 

Thanks greg, i was dreading the canopy masking, as i intended doing this oob, and not confident of it making the cut, due to what i was attempting, i decided to go about the frame masking in a different way, first using thin tamiya masking tape, the white  vinyl type around 2.5 mm, i masked and painted all of the verticles, un masked, then masked up the horizontals and painted again, i know it seems long winded but it really is easy as the zeros canopy framing is so simple,  granted it took two masking sessions, but no cash outlay on masks that may not  have fit due to the age of the kit, 

Cheers greg

Funny you should say that. After not being happy with my masking I decided to use the narrow strip method as you mentioned. Although I'm doing in one go and hoping for the best. I have used your method on the Stukas to repair the paint work.

• Thanks 1

Apologies - just checking in again after the Classic Airfix GB has been consuming most if my BM viewing time. WOW!! - This has really come up wonderfully well and is a real credit to your attention to detail and overall modelling skills. I'm suitably impressed.. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Funny you should say that. After not being happy with my masking I decided to use the narrow strip method as you mentioned. Although I'm doing in one go and hoping for the best. I have used your method on the Stukas to repair the paint work.

Good luck greg, this method works really well if the frame work crosses over itself in straight lines, 

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she looks fantastic!!! :thumbsup:

Really nice job on the painting and of course the stressed body work!

Even if you're not 1005 happy with her you've learnt some amazing new skills, so well done! :thumbsup:

Cheers rich,  i am happy, not one of my best, but like you say I've got some new techniques in the bank at least

8 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Personally, I think she looks amazing!! :clap: 

Thank nigel, much appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Apologies - just checking in again after the Classic Airfix GB has beenconsuming most if my BM viewing time. WOW!! - This has really come up wonderfully well and is a real credit to your attention to detail and overall modelling skills. I'm suitably impressed.. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

No problems dave, I've had a lot on the go myself lately, I'm pleased it gets your seal of approval 

On 07/10/2018 at 20:39, PlaStix said:

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix if  you like it I'm on the right track, thanks 

Cheers fellas

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Joss said:

Just stunning Glynn I bet you are very happy with her!

Anymore plans for this gb??

All the best 

Joss

Thanks joss, i am pleased, but I'd do some things a little different next time, 

Not this gb, I'm going to build a 1/48th  a6-e tram intruder in the grumman gb that starts next week, that'll see the year out with all the etch I've got for it 

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Just seen that Hannants have these in stock for £9.99, that means you can get them for £9 if you pick them up at Telford, bargain!

May have to place an order :) .

Bargain. Oldie but goodie, thats what i paid for mine

39 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Some great work Glynn,enjoyed catching up on the thread.Well done on a cracking build.

Thanks steve glad you like it

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 10/7/2018 at 3:39 PM, Hewy said:

Cheers greg

That's a brilliant idea for checkered canopies! Glad I stumbled upon this build. Top notch stuff all around!

• Thanks 1