HMS Westminster 1/350 Trumpeter with White Ensign photo etch

I've heard it is quite a tight fit with a Merlin, but the T23s were designed with the merlin in mind (although there were delays). So there must be plenty of space left over with just a single lynx but not quite enough to carry two lynx, the new Type 45 destroyers can carry a single merlin or two lynx. I'm not sure what decides whether ships are deployed with a Lynx or Merlin and which is better at what roles. @Ex-FAAWAFU might be able to speak to this though.

• Like 1

Just to add, the Lynx in RN service has now been replaced by the Wildcat. There is a very interesting article on that here: https://www.aeroresource.co.uk/news/royal-navy-lynx-retirement/

I'm sure the Wildcat is a capable replacement, and it does look quite similar of course, but for me I prefer the lines of the traditional Lynx, especially the final MK 8 model with all those lumps and bumps! I am sure Crisp will have his own views on the aircraft and as Matthew suggests will be able to elaborate much on the subject!

Terry

• Like 1

Further to my post earlier, I couldn't resist showing a couple of pictures I took at Farnborough 2018

First, the latest Wildcat:

D03_8890

And secondly, a more traditional Lynx, in this case a Super Lynx of the Brazilian Navy, which according to the man I spoke with at the show, contains a number of features of the Wildcat, including the engines. 

D03_8892

Apologies for the thread drift Matthew!

Terry

• Like 2

I was strictly a Mk3 man when it came to the Lynx - on pure looks grounds, that is; the PID ruined the nose profile!  But obviously the Mk8 was a great deal more capable...

...and the Wildcat, though it looks superficially similar, is vastly more capable than any mark of Lynx (or will be once it gets a Skua replacement, anyway).  At present it looks a bit odd because the eye is so used to Lynx proportions - but we’ll soon get used to it!

P.S. Type 45s after my time, and my overlap with Merlin was minimal. But the 23 was designed as an ASW unit, so Merlin (probably the world’s best ASW helicopter) hangar/deck was the obvious fit.  But I can’t comment on the details; Type 22s were my specialty!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

She's done!

First things first, a huge thank you to everyone that helped me on this project, especially to @Chewbacca, @Terry1954@Ex-FAAWAFU and of course @Paul E. I really can't thank you guys enough. The build would not have been any where near as historically accurate with out your input so thank you so much.

Secondly an apology for not posting more WIP updates, December was mad and I just kind of fell out of the habit of posting updates. I don't really have any WIP shots of the process but I will endeavour to do some close ups shots and explanations of all the changes I made and detail added to the kit for those interested.

I'm so happy with the end result. I can see a tonne of stuff that could be tidier but as always I just have to keep reminding myself that shows I'm improving. The overall affect and style, I couldn't be happier with to be honest. In fact I'm a little bummed I don't get to keep it, so I definitely see another Type 23 in my future (possibly Lancaster in a modern fit). At least I can enjoy it until August, (For those that missed it, it is a birthday gift for my dad who served as XO of Westminster in the mid 90s). 

I am equal parts sick of this project and sad it is over, but on to the next one, probably some of the figures I got for Christmas before Atlantic bring out their 1/350 type 22 this spring. Not sure how many hours I put in in the end but I recon somewhere between 150 and 200. 

Anyway enough chin wagging, here are some pictures. Just some quick ones on my phone for now, I will do some betters ones with a proper camera for "Ready for Inspection" once I sort the name plate out. Oh any technical feedback more than welcome but this time please keep any inaccuracies to your self - I don't have the energy to make changes at this point and if I know there are tings wrong with the build it will eat at me.

IMG_2885.jpg
IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2887.jpg
IMG_2888.jpg
IMG_2889.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_2891.jpg

• Like 17

That's a very smart and accurate looking Type 23 there Matthew. The level of of detail is quite exquisite and definitely shows all the hard and careful work you have put into it. I particularly like the Lynx and the shot of the forward gun and missile tubes, but everything is good and really brings out the busy look of a typical Type 23. I reckon your dad will be very pleased.

Well done!

Terry

• Like 1

That's really excellent - the little details (tip socks and nylon lashings on the Lynx, little bits of subtle weathering beneath outlets on the hull, etc) really elevate it to another level.

Great job!

Matthew,

She really is a beauty. I'm sure your dad will be delighted.  Inspiration for me for when I can finally start modelling. (when the cottage has been finished, hopefully later this year)

Thank you for letting me come along. learned a lot.

Regards

MM

• 3 months later...

Took Westie down to Folkestone for the Euro Miniature Expo and scored a silver much to my surprise and delight. Having not entered a vehicle before I wasn't really expecting much, a bronze at most, so this was a really nice pat on the back. 

I also took home the Carson Van Osten award for storytelling, which on a non water line model ship I think is quite something. Given how much research and love went into getting the fit just right this really means a lot and I'm stoked to have taken it home.

So just another big thank you to everyone that helped out really, cheers guys

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8