HMS Westminster 1/350 Trumpeter with White Ensign photo etch

Hi,

I picked up a kit of HMS Montrose not long ago, and have been following your build to get inspiration and to pick up tips.  As everyone else above has noted your build looks exceptional.  Can't wait to see it completed, and I can only hope my build comes out a fraction as nice looking as yours.  😋

PF

On 10/30/2018 at 4:57 AM, Matthew Spence said:

To be fair you can barely make them out now never mind once the deck goes on. 

Out of interest how do they get from the magazine to the hanger/flight deck?

At the risk of :bandit: finding me. The air weapons mag is at the forward end of the hangar, the torpedoes are rolled straight out of the magazine into the hangar where they are preped ready to load on the aircraft.

• Like 2

Went to look up colour of propeller - the instructions say gold, but I imagined it would actually be brass? looks somewhere in-between the two to me, anyway - the only pictures I could find are of this Type 23  in the maritime museum: 

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/207931.html

And this one of HMS Iron Duke in dry dock, some time after 2000.

irondu10.jpg

The kit features a "hook" design where as these look more like a "petal", wondering if anyone knows if maybe this is a later design? and the kit is accurate for an earlier build? If not I might give make an accurate one a go but with lots of rotational symmetry I don't like my chances of making something that doesn't look wonky as hell.

Edited by Matthew Spence

Hi,

I can't answer for the RN, but from several pictures and such that I have seen, for USN ships they do appear to paint the shaft of the DDGs, at least when they are fresh out of drydock.  I have seen some images of ships just going into dry-dock where the shafts appear to not be painted, though they appear to be more of a grayish color rather than being similar in color to the props.

PF

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/serious-props-check-out-the-massive-screws-on-the-burk-1681758438

Certainly the A brackets are painted anti-fouling red.  From what I recall when I brought a T42 out of refit, the shafts themselves were similar to the phosphor bronze of the screw but different.   If you look carefully at the image of IRON DUKE that you've posted, you'll observe that the shafts are a greenish-greyish bronze.  This photo, of a T23 screw at the NMM, shows a two tone effect between the hub and blades.  I seem to recall that the shafts were closer to the colour of the hub.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwis7Ofr_73eAhUUO8AKHaMCCNsQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmg.co.uk%2Fsee-do%2Fwe-recommend%2Fattractions%2Ftype-23-frigate-propeller&psig=AOvVaw26GFrP0z7HWDBwYiGRzr3R&ust=1541532938876008

As far as I am aware, the T23 propellers were not modified, although the image of IRON DUKE does show a very different shaped hub to the one at Greenwich.  I would certainly expect the blades to look like those rather than a hook arrangement.

I’ve lost my 30mm guns :(

not sure when or where. I‘ve found an after marker kit with them and the kryton turret but can’t find any U.K. sellers. 

Wanted to post in buy and sell wanted but  I need 100 posts and I’m only at 47. Would any one be so kind as to start a topic in there for me. Not sure what my chances of finding some are

On 11/17/2018 at 11:52 AM, Terry1954 said:

Superb modelling Matthew, really superb.

Thank you Terry, appreciate your support. Especially as this feel like it is starting to drag on, but got to get her done for Christmas so no rest for the wicked.

The replacement 30mm guns arrived, its a little after market set from Veteran Models and the level of detail is truly impressive. It also includes a "Kryton" 4.5 current which I'm not interested in, but I used its barrel since it is so much crisper than the plastic kit barrel. These photos (iPhone through a 3x magnify glass) don't do it justice at all. If you are thinking of getting these the 3d renders on the box are pretty much accurate for the level of details on the model (not quite as crisp but not far off).

IMG_2261.jpgIMG_2260.jpgIMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpgIMG_2265.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it can operate the Merlin, and in fact this Trumpeter kit comes with a Merlin, I had to buy some lynx separately. I'm not sure which ships typical carry a lynx and which carry a merlin. There was only a single batch for the type 23 (although there were subtle differences between later and earlier ships), and there was some refit required to enable them to carry the Merlin.

Thank you for the reply Mathew. Your answers have raised a few more Qs.

If the Type 23s are capable of embarking a Merlin then the hanger must be quite big. Can they carry two lynx? If they can do they as a matter of routine or only when Operations dictate?

Regards

MM