HMS Westminster 1/350 Trumpeter with White Ensign photo etch

10 hours ago, Paul E said:

Terry,

Sonar 2031Z was the Towed Array sonar fitted to the Type 23 Frigates up to Somerset and is the predecessor of the current Sonar 2087 which was retrofitted to all the remaining ships of the class. When 2087 was retro fitted the fairlead was moved.

Sonar 182 which Crisp mentions was a small yellow towed body that was suppossed to distract torpedos. It has also been replaced by Sonar 2058. The photographs you have are for these later fits.

You are correct about your comment on the changing fits, but that is part of the fun, it means it is relatively easy to make a unique model from the generic kit which in the case of Mathew's Westminster will make it quite special!

Thanks Paul. It's beginning to make some sense for me now, and helping with my own research for a future model or models of the Type 23.

Incidentally, I took this photo in 2001 in Portsmouth showing the different rear ends of St Albans and Richmond at the time. There are lots of other pictures on the seaforces.org site showing various rear ends with more up to date fits.

Pictures from Fuji CD 053

I've been searching my archives for pictures of Westminster but found nothing yet, sorry Matthew!

This thread is certainly bringing out some excellent information about these ships.

Thanks

Terry

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matthew Spence said:

I knew this one, just had a moment 🤦‍♂️

I Think they might have Paul, but it is not totally accurate: If I recall (it was one of the first bits I fitted and the hull has been in the box since) it is more of a full circle. And the instructions tell you to fit it and the 2087, which if it is that part is obviously a mistake. I don't have a photo to hand as she's packed away in the cupboard as I write this but will snap one next time I have her out.

Another detail I'm unsure about: the platform on the fore of the foremast (some kind of optical system?). Pre DFL1 refit photos show it with railings, post DFL2 refit photos show it without railings, since I'm modelling her between these points in time... any one know when or why the railings were removed? The most obvious explanation is it simply got in the way of the cameras in that little sphere, if that is the case one has to ask who's bright idea was it to fit railings in the first place?

There is an optical director on the platform of the foremast and there are temporary guardrails around the edge of the platform. Normally they are only rigged for maintenance every other time they were collapsed down.

13 hours ago, Matthew Spence said:

Here is the part @Paul E, I snapped a quick pic while waiting for he kettle to boil.

IMG_1935.jpg

I'm fairly sure it is supposed to be the 2031Z fairlead, but not only it is the wrong shape it is in the wrong place. 

That's not the 2031 Fairlead. It is part of the 2087 Sonar fit, however in the absence of the correct part I would say with a bit of careful jigery pokery you could readily fashion the correct fairlead for the the 1996 timeframe. 

On 9/29/2018 at 12:03 AM, Paul E said:

That's not the 2031 Fairlead. It is part of the 2087 Sonar fit, however in the absence of the correct part I would say with a bit of careful jigery pokery you could readily fashion the correct fairlead for the the 1996 timeframe. 

I thought about it, but after checking the pics its about half the size it needed to be, I'm sure no one would have really noticed, but it would have bugged me so I fashioned a new one from plasticard. I also added a couple of extra details I noticed in the pic (no idea what they are for.

IMG_1937.jpg

I also managed to finish the foremast. There are a couple of sensors on the PE that I want to replace with 3D sculpted parts but I'm waiting on some plastic rods for those.

IMG_1941.jpgIMG_1944.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Those two things on the stern - probably the stern light & spare. 

That's correct. There is a little hatch in the transom behind each one of them so the lamps can be replaced.

I like the rendition of the towed array fairlead. Spot on in my mind, the mast is looking good too.

Edited by Paul E
additional text
  • Like 1

Just a small update with some work on the 911 trackers, with some custom improvements taken from Paul's build. I added in some struts that weren't in the PE kit, the collapsed maintenance tent and davit. I will add ladders to the rear once they are fixed to the deck.

IMG_1956.jpg

Edited by Matthew Spence
  • Like 7

On 10/2/2018 at 6:44 AM, Chris Hewitt said:

Great attention to detail.been taking notes for when l do my,when l can get to it.Still on Ark Royal .then moving on to something really big in 1/350.l have aready changed the aircraft,yes another carrier.😎😎

Changed aircraft?  Victorious?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matthew Spence said:

Some more detail on the gun turret and look out posts this morning.

IMG_1998.JPG

I like that PE around the lookout position. Looks to me like it simulates canvas outer cladding?

Brilliant.

Terry

• Like 1

Better late than never they say.  Jerry finally emailed over the only photograph that he still has of his time in command of WESTMINSTER.  This was taken in the autumn of 1998 so a little later than when your Dad was on board but it does at least prove that 1008 radar had not yet been fitted to the bridge roof and gives an indication of the layout of the various platforms though not a great angle for that

43438208190_e1b91cf1ac_b.jpg

Hope it helps

• Like 3

I have a copy of that photo, but it is still in the container with all my modelling bits. It is an interesting photograph because it show the DLF1 fitted port and starboard but the Anchor is missing. That is not normal, she's lost it. You can see rusting around the hawse pipes and there is corrosion and weathering indicating the vessel is not just out of maintenance period when it maybe expected that an anchor may be removed. Also the gun barrel is not in the usual stowed position. All of which indicates that this photograph was taken when Westminster was on deployment, probably in the South Atlantic.  

• Like 1