Lancia Stratos 1/24

Snowman

Hi . Personally I wouldn’t weather your Stratos . Sometimes I ve seen rally cars on here spoilt by over enthusiastic weathering . It also seems a shame to hide all the hard work of applying the decals . 

Gary . 

• Like 1

On 06/11/2018 at 11:54, Matt_ said:

Interested to see how you go about weathering this. Are you planning mud/dust sprayed up the sides?

Hi Matt, I done some research on the matter, and yes definitely down that route.

18 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Hi . Personally I wouldn’t weather your Stratos . Sometimes I ve seen rally cars on here spoilt by over enthusiastic weathering . It also seems a shame to hide all the hard work of applying the decals

Hi Gary, I sincerely agree! I have seen photo's of the Stratos tearing along and it looks like its has been deep dipped in muck and without the rear body - no, I'm not going down that route! 

As you say, hiding all those decals under muck would be a crying shame.

I hope to do it justice, I'm just steeling myself up for the event with reference photo's.

Thanks for your input!👍🍻

• Like 1

Hi Snowman. Super job on the build! As a lover of rally cars, I personally would just go round the tread of the tyres with light/dark sand/brown acrylic and along the bottom edge of the body all round. Tarmac stage rather than mucky gravel stage?

• Like 1

Thanks for your input, guys!

The work continues, in the photo's that I have seen there are hard packed gravel road sections that when wet throw up quite a bit of mud and this what I attempting to replicate.

Here are some images of my work in progress.

This first image is of the base coat on the machined engineering plastic base that a friend gave to me. (Thanks Brian)

32057867028_2bba036b42_b.jpgunder coat by Gavin Snowdon, on Flickr

I then painted the base in satin finish black, fitted the Lancia badge and applied the dirt and mounting pins.

45928996611_912998838e_b.jpgdirt road by Gavin Snowdon, on Flickr

Once this had dried, I applied the mud mix.

45928996461_68f6784d4e_b.jpgmuddy road by Gavin Snowdon, on Flickr

Now I turn my attention to applying the mud and spray to the car.

45204836044_a55d16440a_b.jpgmud been applied by Gavin Snowdon, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.👍🍻

• Like 4