1/18 X-Wing part works

spoly

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 5:10 PM, Anthony Kesterton said:

I saw Part 1 in the shops today.  The full price magazine is £9.99, and there are 100 issues.  Part 1 is £2.99 and I think the second one is £4.99 - then it goes up to full price.  Parts looked impressive.

So, assuming that there is a part(s) in each edition, almost £1,000 for the kit?

On 23/09/2018 at 18:36, Sundowner14 said:

So, assuming that there is a part(s) in each edition, almost £1,000 for the kit?

That's quite a price for an X-wing - I'd kind of expect to be able to fly it for that sort of money.  And you can bet your boots that there will also be lots of expensive 3D printed aftermarket comes out for it that we won't be able to resist that will increase the price even further.  That's a solid no from me too. :fraidnot:

16 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

"More money than sense"

To be fair, some of them are actually decent value.  You just have to be very careful to asses that value before you go signing up for anything.  Once you're happy with the VFM angle, it's a good way of obtaining something that you otherwise could never have afforded to buy in a single part.  Depends also on how much you love that subject, and how much disposable money you have.  A grand for this one doesn't seem right to me, but that's just my opinion - people are still allowed to have their own opinions and value judgements however, til someone can manage to read our minds and start monetising "thought crimes". :dull:

If you look at the total price then it gets scary, but if you look at it monthly and you have that as disposable income it gets you something you would'nt pay the total for.

I'm not into this type of thing but can see why they sell if you take into account what I've said above, in fact theres a charity thing going on in the UK, stay sober for October, now if you do that for the month for charity and just keep it up for the next three years with what you save theres your kit paid for or towards it  in some cases 😁

I'm going to try the month, but I don't think I'd last the three years, this modelling lark can drive you to drink when things aren't going right some days 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

That's quite a price for an X-wing - I'd kind of expect to be able to fly it for that sort of money.  And you can bet your boots that there will also be lots of expensive 3D printed aftermarket comes out for it that we won't be able to resist that will increase the price even further.  That's a solid no from me too. :fraidnot:

This marketing model must work for someone though, which amazes me.😲

9 minutes ago, Sundowner14 said:

This marketing model must work for someone though, which amazes me.😲

I wonder how high our eyebrows would go if we were to discover how many people give up part way through. :hmmm:  If someone's done the VFM calculation and come to an informed decision, then sticks with it all the way, they're not hurting anyone though :)  Even those that give up are only hurting their own bank balances, but in the process they're also supplying the market with some cheap spare parts, so some good comes from it in the end.  I'd leave 'em to it and just suffice to say it's not for you.  :shrug: There are much much worse things you can do that should result in the serious question of sanity :mental: 

Price wise its on par with the Millennium Falcon they brought out a few years back., I'm half way through my subscription on that one so this ones a no go for me too.

All I would say is if you do want one don't leaving too long, I have a number of issues on back order that weren't available when due which would be frustrating if you were building it as they came.  That said they are sending some of the back issues through.

As for after market goodies you could easily spend just as much again just at Shapeways on the Falcon!!

23 minutes ago, Madmonk said:

As for after market goodies you could easily spend just as much again just at Shapeways on the Falcon!!

Amen brother Warren.  I have seen those parts, and they're hella tempting, even without an actual Falcon to hang them off! :cwl: The crew figures are excellent - isn't there one of Chewie relaxing with his hands behind his head like he does after winning the holo-game? :yes:

It's each to their own on these part works.

I recently saw a built up and an operational Deag MF,  the quality and attention to detail is stunning (if not breath taking) and I have no doubt it will the same for the X-Wing. For those that want such detail in a large scale replica its an excellent and cost effective way of obtaining a high end replica. I venture if they were sold as built and operational models they would be substantianly more than a £1000. To put this into context depending on where one drinks £9.99 is two maybe at a stretch 3 pints of beer a week.

I find all the eyebrow raising, finger tapping and general indignation a little perplexing as no one is giving out Chinese burns and forcing anybody to subcribe.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

I almost suscribed the MF but quickly found out that there are of course some issues and lots of chances to upgrade the kit and downgrade the bank account on Shapeways and elsewhere - so I had one of my rare moments of sanity. Agostini have a great selection of kits (MF, X-Wing, 007 AM, BTF DeLorean, R2,...), which are all very tempting to me but I just always get the feeling that they are not quite up to the money spend on them. And you end up with a pile of magazines which - well I at least - do not really want, but which you have to pay for of course. If there would be an option to get the parts only (without magazine and other extras) but pay some hundret less, this would be much more intersting to me. Wonder what happens to the molds once the suscription is comnpleted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

I almost suscribed the MF but quickly found out that there are of course some issues 

Deag, as far as the MF was concerned had a  forum where subscribers could point out issues, all issues highlighted on the forum were corrected, including a new cockpit and glazing among other issues.

. And you end up with a pile of magazines which - well I at least - do not really want, but which you have to pay for of course. If there would be an option to get the parts only (without magazine and other extras) but pay some hundret less

The magazines are the instructions, from what I saw the MF was complicated build.

.Wonder what happens to the molds once the suscription is comnpleted.

They list  it on their website to buy as a complete kit or a part work to suit your budget.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Thanks 1

the only part works issue I've purchased was the James Bond Car collection which i cancelled after 110 issues when the initial run was supposed to be 80. the cost does add up, but i have no regrets about it.

18 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Deag, as far as the MF was concerned had a  forum where subscribers could point out issues, all issues highlighted on the forum were corrected, including a new cockpit and glazing among other issues.

The magazines are the instructions, from what I saw the MF was complicated build.

They list  it on their website to buy as a complete kit or a part work to suit your budget.

Thomo.

Sorry - then I got some points wrong. Great to hear that they corrected the issues. I always understood the magazines to be a mix of a few pages of instruction plus some more pages of some Star Wars related topics. Atthe newsagent the "magazines" looked a bit thicker than instructions of the few parts included per issue would suggest to me. Thanks for pointing out.

Rene

Not for me, but just out of interest I wondered how big a 1/18th X-Wing would be. Not having a prototype to hand and unable to visit the "Museum Of The Rebellion Against The Galactic Empire" (MOTRATGR) I have run a ruler over the Bandai 1/72 model.

The Bandai model scales out at 180mm length overall and 150mm wingspan (spoilers not in attack position) this scales up to a length of approximately 13m and a wingspan of 11m. So at 1/18th the model should scale out at somewhere in the region of 0.72m length (about 28 inches in Imperial!) and 0.61m wingspan(about 24in)

A good size, but still a bit rich for me. It'll be interesting to see a completed one.

9 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

Not for me, but just out of interest I wondered how big a 1/18th X-Wing would be. Not having a prototype to hand and unable to visit the "Museum Of The Rebellion Against The Galactic Empire" (MOTRATGR) I have run a ruler over the Bandai 1/72 model.

The Bandai model scales out at 180mm length overall and 150mm wingspan (spoilers not in attack position) this scales up to a length of approximately 13m and a wingspan of 11m. So at 1/18th the model should scale out at somewhere in the region of 0.72m length (about 28 inches in Imperial!) and 0.61m wingspan(about 24in)

A good size, but still a bit rich for me. It'll be interesting to see a completed one.

you were close, the wingspan is 25.7 inches according to the website.

On 9/25/2018 at 12:13 PM, spruecutter96 said:

Partworks........hmmm, why do the words "More money than sense" come to mind?

Just wish I had that kind of money to spend.

Chris. 

I might consider it. I'm working through the Routemaster, my first partwork. I have to say I'm very impressed so far. As to the price? I get that it's expensive, but the same old, same old get's said when these things come out. However, I did my own maths. More money than sense? Well, that statement is a little bit offensive to me. I gave up smoking five years ago. At that point, I was spending £9 every other day for a pouch of baccy, so I really don't begrudge paying £8.99 a week for something that isn't going to kill me. Also, I have a stash of kits sitting there doing nothing. At least this would get built. I do agree that partworks are darned expensive, but please don't deride people that decide to go for it. I'm really enjoying the Routemaster, so £8.99 a week is money well spent for me. It's just a personal choice.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I might consider it. I'm working through the Routemaster, my first partwork. I have to say I'm very impressed so far. As to the price? I get that it's expensive, but the same old, same old get's said when these things come out. However, I did my own maths. More money than sense? Well, that statement is a little bit offensive to me. I gave up smoking five years ago. At that point, I was spending £9 every other day for a pouch of baccy, so I really don't begrudge paying £8.99 a week for something that isn't going to kill me. Also, I have a stash of kits sitting there doing nothing. At least this would get built. I do agree that partworks are darned expensive, but please don't deride people that decide to go for it. I'm really enjoying the Routemaster, so £8.99 a week is money well spent for me. It's just a personal choice.

Steve

Hello, Steve. 

I didn't intend to be offensive to anyone on Britmodeller. but it is obvious my comment has ruffled some feathers. I apologize sincerely for that. 

Everyone has the right to live their lives as they see fit and spend their money as they like. I'm sure everyone on BM would agree with that sentiment.

Having said that, my biggest issue with how Partworks are marketed is the whole "artificiality" of the situation. Why do there have to be so many parts to collect? Between 50 and 200 individual, weekly parts seems very excessive from where I'm sitting. Why not produce the product in larger sections? Maybe 10 or 15 in total. Simple.... producing 100's of parts means a much larger profit margin. 

Hobbyboss have recently produced a 1/18th scale Focke-Wulf FW-190 German WW2 fighter for around the 100 quid mark (a conventional, injection-moulded kit). If it weren't for the MASSIVE license fees that Lucasfilm / Disney would charge for an injection-moulded X-Wing Fighter. I'm sure a conventional kit could be produced for much less than the Partworks version. 

Again, I am not intending to offend anyone on this site - I am simply expressing an opinion.  I'm sure that other people will have a different take on the matter and I welcome

the exchange of opinions. 

Chris. 

No offence taken! 😊

It's just that when I was reading around the internet before making my decision to buy the Routemaster, I read a lot of comments saying things like, must be mad, more money than sense, who would be stupid enough, etc, etc. Didn't colour my decision in the end, but I did wonder how many of those making those comments blew their money on cigarettes, alcohol, Sky Sports subscriptions etc. At the end of the day, it's all about personal choices....and who's to judge that?

Having said that, I do agree with many of your points. It is indeed all about profits...large profits, and I suppose if people are still happy to spend their cash on part works, then nothing will change. With the Routemaster, there have been several weeks when I thought that the offerings were a bit stingy. For example, the wheels and tyres. We got one per issue. Ok, in 1/12th, they are pretty huge, but we could have got two per issue. At the moment, we're on the cab interior. So they are drip feeding little bits here and there. Conversely, when we got the chassis sections, they were huge pieces of very heavy metal that darn near broke the newsagent's back handing it over to me. Presently though, I now have a huge rolling chassis with engine etc that near enough need's it's own garage.

However, 130 parts seems a lot, 60 to 70 would have been nicer. But that Routemaster has impressed me with the quality and detail, which is outstanding. So I'm happy.

Not sure about the X-Wing currently. Had a look at a part test build and it looked like a lot of plastic parts. Could be wrong, but for that money, I would want something a bit more substantial. Maybe for the moment, I'll just stick with the bus.

I'll say one thing though. It's refreshing not to have to worry about messing up the paint job when it's all been done for you! :like:

Best regards;

Steve 

Hi, Steve.

Your points are very well made and understood.

I think it all boils down to "One man's feast is another man's poison". We pay our money and make our choices. I'm sure I have spent good money on items most people wouldn't touch with a barge-pole....

Cheers. 

Chris.