RN Destroyers of WW2...options please

Courageous

Ahoy there, a question for the future builds.

I'm increasing and liking the idea of building a collection of these lovely vessels but need some pointers. With destroyers in mind, what scale would give me the biggest range to choose from? It doesn't matter if it's plastic, resin or multi-media and I don't mind conversion/ modification or scratch, or the use of PE.

Over to you guys.

Stuart

I think 1/700 will hold true to form and offer more choice.

1/700 has an obvious hole filled in the shape of the Hunt class which is mysteriously lacking in 1/350. HMS Chiddingfold is one I want to do because the scheme was undoubtedly this one as published in full colour with named paints in CAFO679/42 - and Admiralty Light disruptives are my favourites:

42c539ef-31eb-4541-a208-446d578c5dfc.png

Starling Models is a good place to look for 1/700 in particular. Atlantic Models' 1/350 range is still pretty good covering many major types and Trumpeter has a Tribal too. Ish.

• Like 1

In 1/700 injected plastic Tamiya will give you a V/W, an E (opening the way for many between the wars vessels with a little work), IBG are about to release G/H, Tamiya did a rebox of the Skywave O/P.  Trumpeter did the Tribal, Matchbox the J/K.  Later L/M/N are available in resin, start with Niko and any WEM you can find, but there are others.  In plastic again Q/R can be done from a combination of Matchbox with Tamiya or IBG guns and other parts.  Later War Emergency subjects can be done in resin, preferably the WEM Scorpion or Venus if you can get one but I also have a Caesar.  Given some cross-kitting and a bit of fettling, that'll pretty well cover the field but for the  Battles.  Plus the IBG Hunts, of course, as Jamie pointed out.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for coming back so quickly.

I had thought that 1/700 may be the best option but with the slow build of 1/350, just wondered if that was still so.

From your feedback, I'm now compiling a list of classes v manufacturers and as you say, their are holes.

Can you guys also name some good reference books/ plans for the subjects in question?

Stuart

Friedman's British Destroyers, vol 1 to 1939 and Vol 2 afterwards.  Pricey but excellent, particularly dealing with the changing requirements and designs.  The earlier classic work is by March with much larger plans but I couldn't afford it when it was new and I was young - I'm old and better off now, but If I could find one then I still couldn't afford it!  There are smaller works, Profile did Cossack/Tribal and Cavalier/C-classes, Ensign did a superb O/P classes which is perhaps your first call, and a Polish publisher has done a number of individual ships as separate plan booklets.  Well worth a dig if you have an interest in a particular ship or sister.

Plus the two key web forums (fora?) Steel Navy and Model Warships, if you are not familiar with them already.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

M.J. Whitely's book on destroyers is worth having.

Purchased and on its way.

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Friedman's British Destroyers,

Next payday.

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

earlier classic work is by March

Most probably never at those prices!

Cheers guys.

Stuart

If you're fresh to the subject, you could do worse that the 2 relevant Shipcraft books published by Seaforth around 2009-13.  I've seen them remaindered/secondhand for quite reasonable prices.  History, build tables, a few decent quality photos of the ships involved, a list of the kits and accessories available, photos of built-up models in various scales, colour camouflage profiles and, IMHO most useful of all, 1/700 scale drawings.

Shipcraft 11: British Destroyers A-I and Tribal Classes

Shipcraft 21: British Destroyers J-C and Battle Classes.

Both are by Les Brown.

If you can find them at a reasonable price (which I very much doubt: mine would have to prised from my clutching fingers), the following from the Ensign/Man O' War Series are some of the finest references available on their subjects.  Both by Alan Raven and John Roberts.  Nothing on modelling but lots of good clear photos with intelligent commentary.  Colour camouflage pattern diagrams though I suspect the interpretation of the colours has moved on a bit since 1980.

Ensign 6: War-built destroyers O-Z Classes

Man O' War 4: Hunt Class destroyers

HTH

• Like 1

There's also Chris Langtree's book on the J,K and N's - The Kellys: 'J', K' and 'N' Class Destroyers of World War II.

I'll also second Mikemx's comments about the Flyhawk Lance and Legion - very, very good but rather cursed by their penchant for soft plastic! Both of mine have bendy hulls - easily fixed, however.

Apart from the Kelly, Flyhawk have announced that they're also going to do the Javelin.

Mike.

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeR said:

There's also Chris Langtree's book on the J,K and N's - The Kellys: 'J', K' and 'N' Class Destroyers of World War II.

I'll also second Mikemx's comments about the Flyhawk Lance and Legion - very, very good but rather cursed by their penchant for soft plastic! Both of mine have bendy hulls - easily fixed, however.

Apart from the Kelly, Flyhawk have announced that they're also going to do the Javelin.

Mike.

I knew there was another K/N in the pipeline but couldn't remember which one :)

thanks
Mike

• Like 1

The IBG Hunts are good little kits, with pe added in, simple assembly and some good fine details, especially for the price.

In fact, compare one against a Tamiya kit they're normally a good few quid cheaper, and they have their own pe fret.

Not quite Flyhawk quality, some of the aa and secondary weapons look a bit chunky,  but leaps and bounds ahead of the older 1/700 kits out ťhere. 

Couple of pre war classes on the way to go with the Hunt II they already have, G, H and I class out later this year.

Well worth the money.

Geoff

Edited by Bugle07
Spelling.
  • Like 1

Hi,

Here are a couple images of the two IBG kits that I bought.  In general the cover art work is really nice, the instructions seem to be fairly clear, with a lot of 3D rendered images of the assembly, and the paint instructions look to be reasonably clear.  However, at 1/700 scale the overall model is very small (with the hull being a little less than 5 inches in length (~121mm) and the beam being only about 1/2 an inch (~12.5mm).

ORP Kujawiak

ORP Krakowiak

Instructions Sheet 1

Instructions Sheet 2&3

Instructions Shee 4&5

Instructions Sheet 6

Parts (sorry for the glare)

Pat

PS.  Sorry for the links, I think that since I am a new member it didn't appear as if I have the ability to post images yet 😋

• Like 1