Resin kits - any idiot can do it (aka HMS Scorpion S-class destroyer in 1/350)

Nice start. Can I also give a +1 for Atlantic Models, I was very impressed with the ease my Zulu fitted together, and the detail of the PE; I had a slight warp one one resin part but once stuck down the warp was overcome.

• Like 1

Superb modelling, not a scale I could ever work in, it does look great though. I must admit to steering clear of resin for all the reasons you mention, maybe I should change my mind ( although not in this scale)

49 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

Superb modelling, not a scale I could ever work in, it does look great though. I must admit to steering clear of resin for all the reasons you mention, maybe I should change my mind ( although not in this scale)

You're already working with Pontos sets in this scale. You'd have no trouble with this kit :)

• 3 months later...

I've done a little experimentation, but don't think I have convinced myself of a conclusion yet other than to say that I think there were variations in the colours chosen for these emergency class destroyers even if the pattern was mostly similar.

From Alan Raven's Warship Perspectives 1943-1944

resized_cff737fa-2722-4ebc-896c-558202c9

resized_df8d8186-618c-45bc-bc67-aafeea9b

From the back cover of same book though, it appears to be wearing B15 instead of B30:

resized_df3a5778-bcad-439a-90a5-434cf484

...which looks like this:

resized_0a6c1328-71c4-4636-a934-51d577b5

I am thinking of trying G20 in place of the blues, then try B15 in place of G10. Once I think it looks right, I'll redo it all more carefully with the demarcations laid out more carefully.

• Like 10

Thank you for the update and insight into the thought process Jamie. Please keep us updated on your conclusions, I'm plucking up the courage to start on this kit!

Peter

Edited by PDH

• 3 years later...
On 19/10/2018 at 18:44, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Last night I added some plating relief to the hull before painting starts. There are various ways to do this. I like using the thickness of primer coats to achieve the effect. It works well in 1/350 scale

oh boy this looks great!! what size tape/plating relief? spacings?