Compressor recommendations

shortCummins

Hi Chaps

I'm currently using a "HokeyCokey2000" Chinese built clone compressor, I've been using it for 2-3 years and (so far) has not let me down but I think its time for me to 'bite the bullet' and buy a "proper" one.

I'm thinking of paying around £200 for it, getting a cheaper one means more to spend on plastic! however if you think that I need to spend another £50 or so to get "the one" then I'm open to any recommendations.

The one that currently takes my fancy is the Sparmax TC-610H, air-craft.net have this for approx £180 so thats around what I can afford, unless I save some more pennies.

If you have any recommendations please let me know

rgds
John(shortCummins)

Had similar Sparmax model for about three years now, brilliant piece of kit, and top service from aircraft.net where I got mine from

Mines the twin piston one, charges very quickly and holds air with no leaks, except when your airbrushing 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, colin said:

Had similar Sparmax model for about three years now, brilliant piece of kit, and top service from aircraft.net where I got mine from

Mines the twin piston one, charges very quickly and holds air with no leaks, except when your airbrushing 😉

sounds like thats the one, thanks for the tip

I can recommend the Sil-Air 15A export. I've had mine since the early '90's. Not had any problems with it ever in all that time. It's almost perfectly silent in operation, has plenty of air and just basically does exactly what you need it to do with no fuss. It's the best bit of kit I ever bought and i can't recommend it highly enough.

I have the same. I would buy it again 100%.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:19 PM, shortCummins said:

The one that currently takes my fancy is the Sparmax TC-610H, air-craft.net have this for approx £180 so thats around what I can afford, unless I save some more pennies.

Edited by Earnest
  • Thanks 1

Just looked at the specs on the Sparmax and it looks pretty reasonable and also has price on its side. Only thing that I noticed is it's 58db noise level, as opposed to just 30db on the Sil-Air unit that I recommended. Not sure weather that makes a difference or not?

Silair is virtually silent. However, I think that it requires some maintenance (don't quote me on it).

Sparmax makes some noise but barely audible outside a closed door. I even put it on a folded rug and that dampens it even more.

1 minute ago, Earnest said:

Silair is virtually silent. However, I think that it requires some maintenance (don't quote me on it).

Sparmax makes some noise but barely audible outside a closed door. I even put it on a folded rug and that dampens it even more.

Yes, you are correct, some maintenance is required on the Sil-air unit. A yearly oil and filter change is recommended, to keep it running in tip top condition. It's an easy task to perform this yourself and only takes 10-15 mins..

My answer may be late, but I propose to build a compressor based on a refrigerator unit. My, on the picture, built this month, cost about 100 £. I have tested various Chinese compressors, but in terms of efficiency and comfort of work, probably none matches that based on a refrigerator unit.

Regards, Paul.

spacer.png

Edited by O_Pablo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/09/2018 at 10:04, Steve Noble said:

I can recommend the Sil-Air 15A export. I've had mine since the early '90's. Not had any problems with it ever in all that time. It's almost perfectly silent in operation, has plenty of air and just basically does exactly what you need it to do with no fuss. It's the best bit of kit I ever bought and i can't recommend it highly enough.

looks like one made from a fridge compressor

• 2 weeks later...

I can assure you, there is quite a difference in terms of longevity of a commercially built fridge style pump compressor unit and a home made conversion.

Internally the units meant for compressors employ an oil pumping system and heat exchanger.

On such conversions if the cylinder ever gets any lube it is by luck alone.

Pumps meant for fridges may look identical but internally do not have these systems in place because they are intended to run in a small closed loop system.

This difference means a lifespan of maybe a few years on a conversion vs 15-20 on a commercial unit.

For the price, the sparmax is excellent.

Edited by Robbyrockett